HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
234 Posts
Discussion
Spad debut electric help

I am bying supplies to build a SPAD Debut combat plane. I cannot seem to find the size material I need to build a 48" wing and I read that shortening the wing to 40" really opens up performance. I still cant get the coroplast in 40" but I can and have ordered a 36" piece (4mm). I cannot get the canadian downpipe used for thre fuselage either, but I plan on making one from more coroplast. I can cut out some holes here and there to lighten up things but I dont hink it will be much heavier than the canadian tube.

I have two options, cut out two 20" sections and bond them together and increase the weight of the wing or I can just make a 36" wing.

I will be running a Turnigy G25 with a 50amp ESC. I have three 3s 3000mAh 11volt lipos and three 3s 2200 mAh 11 volt lipos.

Which battery do you think would run better in this configuration? Which wing option do you think would work better?
DEBAY777 is online now Find More Posts by DEBAY777
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
234 Posts
I cant get any 2mm so Im going to plow ahead with 4mm. I figure this will give me some building experience that I can draw from as I build more. Which I think I will. Im going with the 40" wingspan/two piece wing. I will just use scrap pieces inside the wind and the normal top cover to bond them together. Im guestimating that my plane will weigh in at around 2.5 lbs. Thats just guessing by reading other forums and looking over similar builds. If my math is right I will need approx 250 watts to fly my plane. The G25 draws a max of 470 watts. With my current batteries I can run either my 2200 or 3000 mAh I will just have a big lag in run times between the two. I can see moving into a 4cell soon. Using the 3 cells wont put me at peak performance but I think I should be ok. OH and the motor calls for an 11x8. I might step it down to reduce some amp draw. Ill have to experiment.
DEBAY777 is online now Find More Posts by DEBAY777
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
I have spliced the 2 mill for a wing alot of times. I can use up scrap peices that way. I do alot of combat planes and it worked fine, i didnt even glue them at the seams, it worked well
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1