HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:12 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,218 Posts
Question
What are Futaba RC FM receivers' are you guys using?

hello,
I'm looking for a newer Futaba 72mhz FM Receiver? what are you guys using?

What Futaba RC FM receiver works bests for you?

I've read about the HobbyKing Corona receivers, but some out from the factory faulty. I just dont trust those and I dont' want to buy 3-4 of them for one to work.


Thank you,
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
No JR tx here!
JRFlyerFPV's Avatar
Eastern ND
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Corona receivers have a much higher rate of success that 1 out of 3 or 4. In fact, I hardly hear about any issues with them anymore, despite the number of people that use them. I think they used to be troublesome at the beginning, but the latest versions are pretty rock solid. I don't own one yet, however, but will be getting one shortly.

For Futaba, I'm currently flying with a R168DP 8 channel PCM. It works for me because I'm always flying close range. If I was to fly far out along the edges of my TX range, I definitely would be using a PPM receiver of some sort and not PCM. It just depends on what your intentions are.
JRFlyerFPV is offline Find More Posts by JRFlyerFPV
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
131 Posts
I'm using a R168DF (PPM dual-conversion) with a half-wave antenna. So far it's working fine. I'm continuing to venture out further with my setup.
nft343 is offline Find More Posts by nft343
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:41 PM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
520 Posts
what kind of range can one expect from a 72 Mhz module? Would it far exceed standard 2.4ghz radios such as the one built into the turnigy 9x? I assume you would also have to use an 8 foot or so antenna...
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
No JR tx here!
JRFlyerFPV's Avatar
Eastern ND
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
what kind of range can one expect from a 72 Mhz module? Would it far exceed standard 2.4ghz radios such as the one built into the turnigy 9x? I assume you would also have to use an 8 foot or so antenna...
Completely depends on your environment.
In the country, open fields: 1 mile pretty easy, up to 2 miles possible
In urban areas: varies wildly. From 500ft to 2 miles

72Mhz doesn't *far* exceed 2.4Ghz in range, but it is on average a significant difference. Plus it's safer to fly on the edge by design. Digital doesn't like flying to the limits at all.
JRFlyerFPV is offline Find More Posts by JRFlyerFPV
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:54 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
what kind of range can one expect from a 72 Mhz module? Would it far exceed standard 2.4ghz radios such as the one built into the turnigy 9x? I assume you would also have to use an 8 foot or so antenna...
Range does depend on a lot of things...your environment, individual setup, etc. There are people on the forums who have flown several miles on FM.

Far exceed is probably too open for interpretation. FM with a proper setup should exceed a standard 2.4 control setup. I fly 2.4 all of the time on my park fliers but never for FPV.
nft343 is offline Find More Posts by nft343
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:58 AM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
520 Posts
what can you do to 72mhz transmitters to extend range? for my 2.4ghz turnigy 9x setup i was going to buy a 1 watt amplifier and a patch antenna.
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:03 AM
Registered User
Toysrme's Avatar
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
2-3-4-5 miles. depends on the local setup & how willing you are to fly with some altitude (the fres is huge) & if your rx is good or not.

make the rx antenna 1/2 wave & get your tx/antenna up off the ground where the take-off angle is much improved. swap an 8s nicd for a 3s lipo. making a direction antenna for the tx works well also, but beware they're huge. alex suggests a moxon.

if you're using omni video antennas, 72mhz should easily out range it.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
131 Posts
FYI - not to dispute that this may work on some radios, I would caution running a 3S at fully charged voltage in your radio if it's not designed to use lipos. I have read reports that people have smoked their radios doing so (and reports of people having success). The difference of a fully charged NiCD pack and a fully charged 3S lipo is the problem (not the chemistry).
That said, I run a 3S lipo in my radio (9z WC2) with a set of diodes to drop the voltage. My radio wasn't cheap - I'd rather be safe.
Do your research...YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
2-3-4-5 miles. depends on the local setup & how willing you are to fly with some altitude (the fres is huge) & if your rx is good or not.

make the rx antenna 1/2 wave & get your tx/antenna up off the ground where the take-off angle is much improved. swap an 8s nicd for a 3s lipo. making a direction antenna for the tx works well also, but beware they're huge. alex suggests a moxon.

if you're using omni video antennas, 72mhz should easily out range it.
nft343 is offline Find More Posts by nft343
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Toysrme's Avatar
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
both airtronics/sanwa & futaba have stated over the years that all of their radios are regulated to handle it. the reply from airtronics is that you can handle out to 16v

which is nice, because most of the older radios scale nicely in supplied power-> output.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:29 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
131 Posts
Eh, I've seen a posted email direct from Futaba stating it's not safe to use a Lipo battery in my transmitter. This is all what you choose to believe. I was satisfied with that answer rather than push further. My bet is since they don't sell a direct LiPo replacement pack for my transmitter they're going to give me the official answer of 'not recommended'.
I've read reports of people who've plugged a lipo into a 9z and smoked their radio. That's enough warning for me.
I'm not an electronics expert (it's a hobby), so I cannot confirm that the circuitry can handle it. I go with the safer alternative.
Again - I'm not saying you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
both airtronics/sanwa & futaba have stated over the years that all of their radios are regulated to handle it. the reply from airtronics is that you can handle out to 16v

which is nice, because most of the older radios scale nicely in supplied power-> output.
nft343 is offline Find More Posts by nft343
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:31 AM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
520 Posts
there is no such thing as an FM amplifier for lower frequencies such as 27, 40, and 72 mhz like there is for 2.4ghz?

this is the 2.4ghz amp i was talking about http://store.diydrones.com/2_4GHz_Am...amp-24-500.htm.

Seems pretty plug and play with my turnigy setup.
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:37 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
there is no such thing as an FM amplifier for lower frequencies such as 27, 40, and 72 mhz like there is for 2.4ghz?

this is the 2.4ghz amp i was talking about http://store.diydrones.com/2_4GHz_Am...amp-24-500.htm.

Seems pretty plug and play with my turnigy setup.
My transmitter is already at 700mW, and it's FCC legal as that's the design from the manufacturer. Rather than worry about changing the power on the transmitter, focus on a more sensitive receiver with an optimal antenna setup. Different receivers perform better than others.
nft343 is offline Find More Posts by nft343
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:40 AM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nft343 View Post
My transmitter is already at 700mW, and it's FCC legal as that's the design from the manufacturer. Rather than worry about changing the power on the transmitter, focus on a more sensitive receiver with an optimal antenna setup. Different receivers perform better than others.
I assume u are talking about ur 72Mhz setup??? You can buy these with factory 700mW?

Antennas will only get me so far with a stock turnigy setup. First i would like to amp the power....
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:45 AM
Registered User
Toysrme's Avatar
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
yes, you can buy 35/72/75mhz boosters online. tho they are questionable. if range truely goes up 40% every time tx power is doubled then you're not talking about *that* much more at 7w. for the buck and a half youll spend to buy & ship from questionable sources. might as well save a little more & LEGALLY go UHF.

most of the stock tx's are at or beyond the FCC limit in practice. this is because most of them are tested at only 5-6 volt supply (minimum voltage for an 8s nicd) to skirt the limit. (go lookup your TX's FCC-ID and read the submitted paperwork for it). that's why most are only at 400-500mw output. most airtronics & futaba tx's show that in their testing. that's why they test 11.6v 8s nicd's at only 5-9v. most of your flying on an 8s nicd pack is done at 9-11v. (you can fly a LONG time in the 10v range. if you start up one day at 11.6v on well maintained nicds and fly 14 hours you oughta still be in the 8-9v range) not so much on the newer synthed models, but the old single/dual conversion crystals? ya.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm punch in the FCC-ID info on the back of your transmitter & see what it's power curve is. most stopped testing by 8-9v. you can find most transmitters starting from the early to mid 1990's. (modern & legal channel AM/FM era is 1991+)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Last edited by Toysrme; Oct 27, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Flight boxes.....what are you guys using? big_poppa4904 Electric Plane Talk 22 Sep 10, 2011 10:30 PM
Question What kind of receivers are you guys using in your ap planes? Picoflyer Aerial Photography 29 Aug 27, 2004 08:38 PM
What receivers are you guys using? christianzx Electric Heli Talk 9 Oct 20, 2001 09:43 PM