SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Discussion
A new professional camera gimbal (tongue in cheek)

If you are here to look at a carbon fiber camera gimbal you have come to the wrong place.

However I wanted a small, nice, solid, light camera gimbal with roll and tilt with enough room for standard servos. I will break a lot of them. So I am not ready to invest a lot of money into one.

So I decided to draw one up myself and make one.

Here is the result. Nothing fancy, nothing pretty about it. Ok if I want to look exotic I can stain the wood and make it look like the Hawaiian Koa wood. However the reality is I made it out of birch ply.

No, it is not for sale. I will be glad to give you the DXF file so you can cut your own. You still have a lot of work to do after getting the wood parts. It is not for the beginners.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:37 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
looks great to me how much does it weigh?
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m1s1s View Post
looks great to me how much does it weigh?
237 grams.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:02 PM
Aberdeen,Scotland, UK
Joined Jun 2005
1,309 Posts
Any urges to go on a hole drilling frenzy to drop the weight a bit,i reckon a good 80 to 100g could be removed?.
McDanger is offline Find More Posts by McDanger
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
you could easily lighten it by using lite ply if it was not done already. still, looks durable and should work well. should be rigid.
Centurion1 is offline Find More Posts by Centurion1
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:51 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDanger View Post
Any urges to go on a hole drilling frenzy to drop the weight a bit,i reckon a good 80 to 100g could be removed?.
yes that would def help and still be strong since the material used.
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:13 PM
Hochiminh City
Joined Mar 2004
552 Posts
hi , could you please shred the dxf file via m email ngcaotri@gmail.com

thanks.
caotri is offline Find More Posts by caotri
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:14 PM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Jun 2011
440 Posts
Simple, strong, if it works good for you, I know you can get it lighter if you work at it, very good prototype...I like......

OLDTOM is offline Find More Posts by OLDTOM
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,996 Posts
It is nice and simple well done!
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDanger View Post
I will eventually drill out the roll cradle a little. I don't believe in drilling out holes. That just makes it weaker. However this is a bit over built so I can afford to lose a bit of weight.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
you could easily lighten it by using lite ply if it was not done already. still, looks durable and should work well. should be rigid.
Yes, that was the debate. Poplar would have been lighter but I want to try birch first and see. Lite ply have a tendency to warp in this humidity.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
hmm, how about bamboo LOL. but you are right about humidity. more of that paradise tax. I am debating on my camera mount. whether to use belt drive or direct. too many choices .
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
hmm, how about bamboo LOL. but you are right about humidity. more of that paradise tax. I am debating on my camera mount. whether to use belt drive or direct. too many choices .
I was actually looking for bamboo as landing gear material. Then I started thinking about using bamboo for the arms. Now I may have to think about bamboo for camera gimbal!

I have used bamboo as landing skids before and it worked great. I was in China test flying a twin cylinder engine and they outfitted this high wing plane with a bamboo skid. The landing field was just a wide open dirt field and the bamboo skid worked very well because of the springiness.

I think bamboo will be great for multi rotor landing gear. I just have to find the proper size. There are lots of bamboo here and I have to harvest some. Buying them on eBay is ridiculous. They wanted an arm and a leg for just a little bit.

Direct drive will work only if the servo is super strong. Otherwise the inertia will cause a lot of oscillation.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
Hochiminh City
Joined Mar 2004
552 Posts
Dear SeismicCWave,

Thanks for your CAD file. I am going to cut one for myself and try to make it lighter .
Thanks again for shareing file.
caotri
caotri is offline Find More Posts by caotri
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
I have some timing pullys so could do the belt, but that will add weight. have to see if I can lathe it down lighter. 2:1 ratio. I was thinking of direct drive just on the tilt, but may be not even that. belt drive would be smoother anyway.

I do think bamboo would make good LG. get her done.