HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:40 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
I'm sorry, but there lies the problem. You really do need to use the bind plug. This is always the case when binding a new receiver to a radio.

But you obviously don't put it in the same location as is required for doing an ID reset. I know the manual is extreme scarce about this.

Plug the bind plug in the throttle channel and power the receiver through the batt port. Then turn on your radio to bind.

It's really compatible with the Devo 7, so you're still doing something wrong;
http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/Walkera-G...er/p-176-2130/
I've tried again, all combinations of plug inserted, white to red, red to black, plug out, plug in thro, plug in elev, plug in batt - nothing works with my RX801 and Devo7.

Maybe it's a firmware issue but I don't have a spare, more recent, RX801 or Devo7 to test.

So, it might be compatible now, but mine isn't.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:04 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
No, they have been compatible and working from day one with the Devo 7, so there must be something else going wrong.

Quote:
I've tried again, all combinations of plug inserted, white to red, red to black, plug out, plug in thro, plug in elev, plug in batt - nothing works with my RX801 and Devo7.
You can only power the receiver in one way. Light color wires to the sticker, black wiring to the side of the receiver in case of the rx801. The orientation of the bind plug doesn't matter, it'll short correctly either way.

Obviously unplug everything else for the binding process.

Plugging bind plug in throttle and powering through batt should make the receiver bind. After that, just power up the radio.

Perhaps it needs to be reset using the Devo 7 (this is done by using the bind plug in the batt and then powering through throttle channel), so it's not bind to the Devo 8 anymore.

To be honest, I still suspect some kind of user error on your side here as I know someone who has bound a rx801 to his Devo 7 pretty much effortlessly, but perhaps the problem is with the ESC you are using.

What are your throttle end points set to? What's the LED on your receiver doing? Blink or solid red?

Does your stick mode match where your physical throttle stick is located? In other words, are you using the correct stick mode?

You state:
THRO Subtrim is at L62.5
THRO Trim is at -25

Is this the lowest you can go with Subtrim?
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 08, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:59 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
I'm using a Walkera ESC and it bind flawlessly to the Devo8 in RANDOM ID mode.
The values quoted above are my minimums. Throttle stick is in the right spot, I can fly another heli with this memory.

The LED flashes 2x a second while searching for a signal with the D7 it stays like this. With the 8 it goes solid, flashes again and then solid again (I think, it was late last night). Then I can control a servo/motor etc with no problem.

Honestly, I think that my D7 and RX801 are not the same as the ones you saw binding. Mine will not bind successfully (I think I've pretty much confirmed that). Maybe others will have a different experience but I've tried everything you have suggested and it does not work.

Where are you getting your info by the way?
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
I've just checked my settings and I've made a mistake actually.

The normal trim setting for throttle is at '0' or a no trim set. Its not at it's lowest.

If you try this, be sure to set up a throttle hold switch that will force throttle to the lowest possible or take off the blades for safety.

I know you mention using a random ID, but I'd try to reset it using the Devo 7 and try again. This is because of the random ID value that differs in amount of digits. Perhaps this causes issues.

The bind plug also really needs to be in the Throttle channel, not in ELEV.

As for info, that depends on what info you're talking about, but most of the info comes either straight from Walkera or from my own experience.

I actually own a Devo 8 myself and a friend of mine has a Devo 7 and actually flies his 450 GT Pro using a RX801. I know its the RX801, because that was the first receiver available we both bought at the same time. The RX802 has only been just released. The Devo 7 also hasn't received a major firmware update since its release as far as I know, so that can't really be it either.

The minimum throttle sub-trim value trick is something I found elsewhere on the internet and makes the binding work with non-Walkera ESCs.

I know this trick works because I am using it as we speak on my Devo 8 to make it bind with other non-Walkera ESCs. Walkera also states that all Devo series receivers work will all Devo series radios and so far I've got no reason to question that at all, knowing this work-around works.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:55 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Well I shall give it another go tonight. The RX isn't actually on a heli so no risk of it removing any digits.

I just wonder if it's not just one of these Walkera quirks where they update stuff without any change log or report to the customers. I notice there is a later firmware for the 7 but I need to get the USB cable back from a friend to upload it.

I wonder if I have a beta D7...
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Yes, that's certainly might be worth a try, it'll rule out any older firmware related stuff.

I agree though. Firmware updates without change logs is a real killer.

I haven't actually updated my Devo 8, because I simply can not tell what will be changed and it seems to work fine as is now.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that's certainly might be worth a try, it'll rule out any older firmware related stuff.

I agree though. Firmware updates without change logs is a real killer.

I haven't actually updated my Devo 8, because I simply can not tell what will be changed and it seems to work fine as is now.
Can you find out what version software your mate has on the D7?
Mine is 0.1A.
0.3A is available.

I've tried again and definitely mine does not bind. I'd make a video but really this whole binding thing isn't really difficult (normally).

The only thing I would mention is that to set a fixed ID you have to fist get the TX/RX bound in RANDOM ID mode. I can't get to that step so there is no way it'll work as far as I can see with a fixed ID.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I've tried again and definitely mine does not bind. I'd make a video but really this whole binding thing isn't really difficult (normally).
True, it's easy, but I'd like to see a video. I'm not saying you are doing something wrong, but I think something is being overlooked here.

Binding is so easy, it should have already worked.

Perhaps doing a firmware update is the only way. Perhaps using a different ESC does work. Which ESC are you using?

Do you have a different ESC you could try?

Quote:
The only thing I would mention is that to set a fixed ID you have to fist get the TX/RX bound in RANDOM ID mode. I can't get to that step so there is no way it'll work as far as I can see with a fixed ID.
Yes, that I can confirm. But a receiver set for fixed ID, might not bind in random ID mode. That's why you should reset the ID first, before you can bind to your Devo 7.
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 09, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:19 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
True, it's easy, but I'd like to see a video. I'm not saying you are doing something wrong, but I think something is being overlooked here.

Binding is so easy, it should have already worked.

Perhaps doing a firmware update is the only way. Perhaps using a different ESC does work. Which ESC are you using?

Do you have a different ESC you could try?

Yes, that I can confirm. But a receiver set for fixed ID, might not bind in random ID mode. That's why you should reset the ID first, before you can bind to your Devo 7.
I'm using a Walkera V450D01 ESC.
A receiver set with a FIXED ID will not bind in random mode, unless by complete chance it picks the same number as the FIXED ID (1 in ~ 1million chance of that) - I did have a FIXED ID set but I removed it and confirmed a good RANDOM bind with the D8.
Until I get my dongle back off my mate I think I'm gonna quit wasting my time with it. My D7 and this RX801 have no desire to operate together. I've been flying Walkeras (8 of them) for about a year and a half now and never seen it this hard to bind. I think it's either TX or RX firmware - not something I am doing.

Basically, you turn the TX on, RX on and it binds. You can also do it RX first TX second and usually it works too. Not tricky.

Thanks for your help but I'm busy making my quad work...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
@PHMX FWIW I just found this comment by FDR_ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=18
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your help but I'm busy making my quad work...
I fully understand. No offense intended, but you shouldn't really go about claiming something doesn't work basically just because you didn't get it to work though. You're probably not binding correctly, because I've always needed to use a bind plug with a brand new receiver, just like with just about everyone other brand.

Walkera themselves say all Devo radios are based on adopted core technology of DEVO 12. There's no word of the rx801 being incompatible, in fact Walkera states the exact opposite! With a Devo 8 you can use all Devo series receivers, same is true for all other Devo radios.

It would be contradictory to anything they have done before to release a lower channel radio that's somehow incompatible with the same series of receivers.

Add to that the fact that I've seen that combo fly and being used.

I'd at least suggest you to try the firmware update to see if that solves anything.

In response to that comment you've found;
Quote:
On the Walkera site now there are firmware upgrades for the DEVO 7.
They are not ST DfuSe files, just plain binaries of some kind. Looks like not all the DEVO's share the same hardware core. Perhaps the cheep ones continue use the old hardware components.
This has simply to do with the fact that the Devo 7 has no touch screen based interface. Obviously the old LCD style display requires a somewhat different firmware, but the RF hardware is in fact very much the same as the entire Devo series of radios.
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 11, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
No offence taken but I'm not a newb and I have successfully managed to get the RX to bind to my 8 in random mode. Why then does it not work with my 7?
I've reset the RX to make sure there is no fixed ID so if the binding process is then so totally different and difficult to get to complete with the 7 then it's odd. It also appears the reset method as described and working for the Devo 8 does not work with the Devo 7.

All I was reporting was my experience. Maybe it's because it has already bound to the 8, maybe it's because I set a fixed ID with the 8 but as far as I can tell after about 6 hours trying to get it to work is that after all that I still can't bind.

In conclusion, it doesn't work.
It might just be for me... but I don't see anyone else that actually has both RXs commenting that it does.

Also, on a note about compatibility, if I do have a Fixed ID set via an 8 (6 digits) how do I get a 7 (5 digits) to connect?
So, despite the technology being the same, the way in which it is implemented is definitely different.

Ultimately, this is a $5 discussion since that's the difference between RX801 & 802. My recommendation would be, spent the $5 and get an 802 if there's ever a chance you might use it with a Devo7.
Last edited by thwaitm; Mar 11, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
In response to that comment you've found;

This has simply to do with the fact that the Devo 7 has no touch screen based interface. Obviously the old LCD style display requires a somewhat different firmware, but the RF hardware is in fact very much the same as the entire Devo series of radios.
Turns out that it is ST hardware as well. FDR_ did some additional checking.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Also, on a note about compatibility, if I do have a Fixed ID set via an 8 (6 digits) how do I get a 7 (5 digits) to connect?
So, despite the technology being the same, the way in which it is implemented is definitely different.
Good question. And I honestly don't know the definitive answer to that as I haven't tried to get it to match nor would it make that much sense if it did, but my guess is that a fixed ID reset will clear the receiver properly making the amount of digits actually irrelevant.

Did anyone ever got a rx701 to bind with a Devo 8?

When I think of it, it's probably not such a bad idea to make it impossible for a Devo 7 fixed ID to bind to the 'same' fixed ID (minus one digit) bind of a Devo 8, as that's not what you'd want to achieve with a fixed ID to begin with.

Quote:
Ultimately, this is a $5 discussion since that's the difference between RX801 & 802. My recommendation would be, spent the $5 and get an 802 if there's ever a chance you might use it with a Devo7.
Well, but the main difference between the rx801 and rx802 are the longer wires.

With the Devo 10 release right at our doorstep which has the same LCD style radio it really would be quite odd to have radios that are incompatible with the new Devo series receivers, not to mention the fact that no firmware updates are actually require to bind any other Devo radio to a rx802.

The Devo 7 also binds fine to all those other Devo receiver based 6 channel Walkera helicopters, so why do you think the rx801 must be some kind of strange exception?

I'm still fairly certain my friend did bind the rx801 to his Devo 7 as we bought the same receivers in about the same period of time.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
--- but my guess is that a fixed ID reset will clear the receiver properly making the amount of digits actually irrelevant.
That was my assumption too but the reset process didn't seem to complete with the Devo7

Quote:

Did anyone ever got a rx701 to bind with a Devo 8?

When I think of it, it's probably not such a bad idea to make it impossible for a Devo 7 fixed ID to bind to the 'same' fixed ID (minus one digit) bind of a Devo 8, as that's not what you'd want to achieve with a fixed ID to begin with.
No, however it does appear to prevent you using Fixed ID if you use the aircraft with both TXs. It's possibly a limitation caused by the display rather than any radio hardware.

Quote:
Well, but the main difference between the rx801 and rx802 are the longer wires.
From the outside, but since there's no detailed RX manual it could actually be totally different inside or at least firmware wise. Add to that Walkera often release an RX and then after feedback from the field release an updated version. Maybe the 802 is the 801 which is full compatible with the Devo series rather than the 801 which appears only partially compatible.

Quote:
With the Devo 10 release right at our doorstep which has the same LCD style radio it really would be quite odd to have radios that are incompatible with the new Devo series receivers, not to mention the fact that no firmware updates are actually require to bind any other Devo radio to a rx802.

The Devo 7 also binds fine to all those other Devo receiver based 6 channel Walkera helicopters, so why do you think the rx801 must be some kind of strange exception?
Simply because I've tested it and it doesn't appear to work with both of us using all our combined experiences.

Quote:

I'm still fairly certain my friend did bind the rx801 to his Devo 7 as we bought the same receivers in about the same period of time.
And maybe it's because it was never bound to a Devo8 that it works?
I think until more people chip in on this we won't know if I just have an odd one.
Though, I'm beginning to think it's more likely to be my Devo7 TX rather than the RX801 that might be at fault. Though, it does bind to all my 6CH Devo RXs without a problem...