HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:31 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Discussion
Which RX is compatible with the Devo 7?

For the time being I want one heli to be used with the Devo 7 which came with my Genius CP. However I'm a bit confused which Walkera RX will be compatible. Does anyone know??
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:38 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
For the time being I want one heli to be used with the Devo 7 which came with my Genius CP. However I'm a bit confused which Walkera RX will be compatible. Does anyone know??
If the Rx has a D at the end of its ref number ie 2023V-D then theoretically it should be compatible with all the devo range - not sure about Rx's such as 801 which is designed for devo 8 - would need testing to see if it worked but with one less channel accessible.

what were you thinking of using it on ?

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Want to use the Devo 7 on my "portable" copterx 250..
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:33 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Devo 8 receiver should work just fine.

A small word of advice though, make sure the throttle subtrim and throttle hold are both set to something very low and make sure the throttle hold switch is on. Some non-Walkera ESCs won't bind when the throttle subtrim isn't set to the lowest possible position.

Don't worry about the percentage that might show 85% instead of 100% for the maximum throttle where it starts at -30% throttle or so instead of 0%.

It's basically the only way I know of to make the Devo receivers work with ESCs that are picky about zero throttle or their throttle protection.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
93 Posts
I checked on walkera's site,RX2625H is for DEVO Tx.
Airrover is offline Find More Posts by Airrover
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Walkera emailed me the RX801 is compatible..
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrover View Post
I checked on walkera's site,RX2625H is for DEVO Tx.
Yes, but that's the Genius CP receiver and flybarless unit;

http://www.helipal.com/hm-genius-cp-...o8q6s9im9l81h0

Not sure if that's such a good match for a 250 size heli, but it will work with that transmitter indeed.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:04 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Walkera emailed me the RX801 is compatible..
I just tried it and it doesn't work with mine.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I just tried it and it doesn't work with mine.
You'll need to bind it first. Check your radio manual on how to do this.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:55 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
You'll need to bind it first. Check your radio manual on how to do this.
When I said, it doesn't work, I meant, "It won't bind."
The RX801 doesn't notice there is a signal being transmitted from the 7.
No change in LED flash pattern.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Oh, I do understand, but are you sure you're binding correctly? You can only bind following the procedure described in the manual.

http://www.walkera.com/cn/upload/explain/DEVO7_expe.pdf

Another thing, do you perhaps intend to use it for a non-Walkera ESC?

This most likely means that you'll have to set the zero throttle value to something incredibly low. (I've set my throttle subtrim and trim to the lowest possible in my Tx).

This will help binding with ESCs that have a certain type of start-up protection. Not sure why, but this helped in my case.

I've got the Devo 8, so I am not entirely sure (walkera site seems to be down or incredibly slow here at the moment), but does the Devo 7 support the unique ID stuff too?

Then you might have to try binding without using a fixed ID number. This might involve resetting the ID number of the receiver.

Good luck.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:14 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,981 Posts
Quote:
Oh, I do understand, but are you sure you're binding correctly? You can only bind following the procedure described in the manual.

http://www.walkera.com/cn/upload/explain/DEVO7_expe.pdf

Another thing, do you perhaps intend to use it for a non-Walkera ESC?

This most likely means that you'll have to set the zero throttle value to something incredibly low. (I've set my throttle subtrim and trim to the lowest possible in my Tx).

This will help binding with ESCs that have a certain type of start-up protection. Not sure why, but this helped in my case.

I've got the Devo 8, so I am not entirely sure (walkera site seems to be down or incredibly slow here at the moment), but does the Devo 7 support the unique ID stuff too?

Then you might have to try binding without using a fixed ID number. This might involve resetting the ID number of the receiver.

Good luck.
I was using a non-Walkera esc to power the RX801 but it would bind without a problem to the Devo 8. I had no FIXED ID set in the D8, D7 or the RX.
D7 supports fixed ID but only 5 digits, not 6 as per the D8.

Which bind process are you describing? There is nothing so special in that manual. Turn on TX with THRO & THRO Trim at minimum. Turn on RX. Wait for bind.

Trims are all at minimums and it doesn't bind.
Have you actually tried RX801 with Devo7?
If it is possible to get it to bind it would be good to know how to do it.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Alright, please make sure that you set the throttle subtrim (SUBTR, page 23 (26 in pdf)) (yes, subtrim, not only the regular trim) to the lowest possible value also. This might well end up being something like -20.

Then make sure you're plugging the bind plug in the correct location.

If it still fails, the receiver probably needs to be reset. This is fixed ID related, so check page 52 and page 10 (=13 in pdf)) of the manual I've linked to above.(I'd save it to your hard-drive, because the website is really slow.

The reason why I know this receiver will really work with the Devo 7 is because it's the same series, same technology, people on youtube already use it and the Devo RX802 works fine also.

The problem is with the ESC, not the receiver. The fix is easy though; throttle subtrim to lowest possible value.

Quote:
There is nothing so special in that manual. Turn on TX with THRO & THRO Trim at minimum. Turn on RX. Wait for bind.
That's what you do to just bind it whenever your model is already bind to recognize the receiver. With non-Walkera ESCs you'll also have to set the subtrim for throttle channel to the lowest position also or it can't bind.

When you bind the receiver you'll also need to plug in the bind plug in the correct location. Then you'll need to turn on the helicopter first (take blades off if you want to be safe!), then after that turn on the transmitter. Its a different order for the first bind process.

Also bear in mind that using a fixed ID will in fact greatly speed up the binding process. So.. it might in fact be useful to set it up for fixed ID. Problem is, you can't when it's not yet bind to be recognized yet.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:54 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,981 Posts
Quote:
Alright, please make sure that you set the throttle subtrim (SUBTR, page 23 (26 in pdf)) (yes, subtrim, not only the regular trim) to the lowest possible value also. This might well end up being something like -20.

Then make sure you're plugging the bind plug in the correct location.

If it still fails, the receiver probably needs to be reset. This is fixed ID related, so check page 52 and page 10 (=13 in pdf)) of the manual I've linked to above.(I'd save it to your hard-drive, because the website is really slow.

The reason why I know this receiver will really work with the Devo 7 is because it's the same series, same technology, people on youtube already use it and the Devo RX802 works fine also.

The problem is with the ESC, not the receiver. The fix is easy though; throttle subtrim to lowest possible value.

That's what you do to just bind it whenever your model is already bind to recognize the receiver. With non-Walkera ESCs you'll also have to set the subtrim for throttle channel to the lowest position also or it can't bind.

When you bind the receiver you'll also need to plug in the bind plug in the correct location. Then you'll need to turn on the helicopter first (take blades off if you want to be safe!), then after that turn on the transmitter. Its a different order for the first bind process.

Also bear in mind that using a fixed ID will in fact greatly speed up the binding process. So.. it might in fact be useful to set it up for fixed ID. Problem is, you can't when it's not yet bind to be recognized yet.
OK - followed your instructions to the letter an I don't have a result.
My RX801 will *NOT* bind at all to my Devo7.

The bind plug doesn't need to be plugged into the RX to bind, only to reset the fixed ID. Once there is no fixed ID the RX should bind.

My RX has no fixed ID, I reset & confirmed using the Devo8. Still it will not bind to Devo7.

THRO Subtrim is at L62.5
THRO Trim is at -25
Bind plug not inserted, inserted in ELEV and BATT. Connecting white to red each time. red to black jump gives no flashing light on RX (shorting +ve to -ve = normal nothing happens)

Got a link to the videos on you tube?
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
The bind plug doesn't need to be plugged into the RX to bind, only to reset the fixed ID. Once there is no fixed ID the RX should bind.
I'm sorry, but there lies the problem. You really do need to use the bind plug. This is always the case when binding a new receiver to a radio.

But you obviously don't put it in the same location as is required for doing an ID reset. I know the manual is extreme scarce about this.

Plug the bind plug in the throttle channel and power the receiver through the batt port. Then turn on your radio to bind.

It's really compatible with the Devo 7, so you're still doing something wrong;
http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/Walkera-G...er/p-176-2130/
Last edited by PHMX; Mar 08, 2012 at 11:19 AM.