HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:29 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,086 Posts
Colored gap seals? I think you are going to start a trend here. Looks pimp!
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:16 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,255 Posts
Love the gap seals. Did you just spray paint them?
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:20 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
Those colored gap seals are cool. I tell ya, that's one of the neat features of an all black airframe, bright colors really show up nice against the base. I just love everything about the Polaris. It's such a sweetheart in the air and it looks great to boot.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:17 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,266 Posts
Colors options is practically endless.
There is some new paint formulas You can launch Your plane Kawasaki Green and land her Pure white ,for instance( temperature sensitive formulas)
Or even better -choose Your colors from Pink to Deep Violet by changing current through paint via transmitter .
Or enven better - e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c..... I am tired of my customers choices.
www.yuricomposites.com
Yuri-who flies his planes naked carbon from both sides and controls them by tail position ,not by colors difference.(Do you actually see colors that far away?)
But PINK/BLACK is one of my favorite so far and one of the BEST combination IMHO.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:12 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
994 Posts
Where are those colors/paints available? What type/ usable on our planes?
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
This past Saturday it was ideal winter flying conditions. I have all three of my planes ready to go so I took them all out. First up, I flew the beater Polaris. Now that its fixed it flies wonderfully. I'm just amazed by the beating this plane has taken and keeps flying like a champ! Next, I flew the Fr3aK some. As time has gone on and I've improved as a DLG pilot, I've grown an appreciation for its qualities, particularly in certain conditions. You couldn't pry that plane from my cold dead hands.

Now enter the new Polaris. It's still a bit of a work in progress, I have most of the binding worked out on the one aileron. It still double centers a little bit. Ill have to see if I can work that out the bigger issue for me is the CG. I'm flying this one at the 67mm that people here have recommended and the flying part is fine. What's not so good is the launch. With it trimmed for straight end level flight the launch climbs back on itself like mad! Heck, I can throw it completely flat with no preset and it still climbs too far back at the top of the launch. Now, my used Polaris has its CG at 78mm and I'm thinking that's where I'm going with this one. Any other possibilities before I go in and pull everything out to adjust the CG?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
994 Posts
Same plane, why not same cg settting? Unless there is some huge difference in the planform and foil........
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,086 Posts
Mike,
I use 68mm CG and I have two flight modes for the launch process, one of those flight modes is a shared mode between the climbing portion of the launch and a normal flight setting. The first flight mode is the "launch" mode where I add about 1mm camber to the wing and add up elevator until I get the desired pull-up. My pull-up is a bit aggressive since I found that getting the plane vertical quickly helps me get the best launch. This launch mode is on a momentary switch, so once I let go of it the plane defaults to my speed mode.

With a CG at 68mm, my plane is trimmed slightly positive so there is some residual pull-up in the speed phase of the launch, but not much. I use the speed mode in both the climbing portion of the launch and during normal flight. It seems you may have too much up trim in this speed mode. I suggest you retrim it so you have a compromise between the climbing phase of the launch and the speed phase of normal flight. If you cannot find a trim that works for both these regimes, perhaps you can make an extra flight mode that initiates after the pull-up phase of the launch, call this phase the climbing mode and trim this mode for a straight flight after the pull-up on launch. After you top off at the end of the launch, you can transition out of the climb mode into your speed (no reflex or camber)/cruise (2mm camber)/thermal (5-6mm camber) mode.

Just a side note, I have found that I rarely go into speed mode during normal flight. I spend 95% of the flight in cruise or thermal mode. The L/D is very good in cruise mode and found that going to speed mode makes the plane move faster, but at the cost of L/D, even in windy conditions. I will sometimes transition to speed mode to collect speed and go back to cruise mode while trying to maintain my speed when coming back upwind.

Adding an extra flight mode (climbing mode) does increase pilot workload, so I would recommend you find a trim setting that works for both the climbing phase of the launch and the speed phase of normal flight, rather than add an extra flight mode.

78mm is a bit too far aft for my liking. The farthest aft I went was 72mm, but have settled on 68mm now. Your handling will become difficult in turbulence and high winds with an aft CG setting. I would suggest you move your CG back to 69mm at the most, but CG is a very personal setting so go with what you are most comfortable.

Lasty, I would suggest you set up your plane EXACTLY like Jonas E suggested in his PDF. I have attached the file for your reference. From here, you can adjust your throws slightly, but these are a very good starting point. MMT flies a lot so I trust there suggestions. You can probably do without the Thermal mode and use only the Thermal 2 mode, and you can do without the penetration mode. I would suggest you have four modes: normal, thermal 2, speed, and launch/pull up mode. The landing mode is not really a mode, just a recommendation for throws, but you can certainly make it a flight mode if you want. I program my radio with this not being a specific mode. I hope this helps.
Cheers
Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:37 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,138 Posts
My experience is similar to Paul's. 68 is preferred CG on every Polaris I've flown. I have tried it back to 74, where it flew and thermaled ok, but wind penetration was ugly! It almost gave me a bad first impression because it struggled to come back against even a mild breeze. I was shocked. Moving it up to 68 made a huge difference, and that's when I fell in love with the Polaris! It turns better (stays more grooved and coordinated), retains energy better, thermals just as well, and penetrates SO much better. 78mm is insanely aft for this plane, IMO. But if you like it there then that's your call. Maybe your plane has an incidence issue or something else going on...

I also agree that launch trim doesn't have to be so dependent on CG. I set CG so the plane handles and penetrates how I want, and then use TRIM to adjust the level speed of each flight mode. I just have 3 modes; speed, cruise, and thermal. Speed mode is my launch climb mode, and it gets trimmed for a perfectly straight climbout after releasing the preset on a full power launch. Like Paul, I rarely use speed mode for any other purpose, because mine ends up with some down trim to keep that launch climb straight. I do sometimes use speed when really high and deep and want to burn back fast with no concern for preserving altitude. But otherwise, when trying to stretch a long comeback, it will mostly be in cruise, but I can also use the slider to remove all of the cruise camber. This combo results in lowest drag camber (neutral) with cruise trim, which works great for pushing into wind without losing much height. All my other settings are very similar to the MMT doc, but I only have a single thermal mode, although I can add extra camber with the slider.

So many different options and philosophies for setup...
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:16 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
I have three modes. Clean/speed, cruise/2mm camber and thermal/4mm camber. Now that's exactly how I have my other Polaris set. The other Polaris was the basis of the setup for this new plane, from a radio programming standpoint. The other Polaris, the used one is one I bought from NCDLG (Eric) right here in this thread. You know what I did with it from a CG standpoint? Nothing. The plane came RTF except some small patches on the LE and a new string on the elevator. It launches straight and true without any exaggerated curve up. Ill go back and check the CGs again but I'm certain it's 11mm back from my new plane.

Ill try shimming the back of the stab on the pylon to archive a more down angle to the whole thing. Itse just not acceptable like it is. It would come over backwards on its own if I didn't feed in a push and I know this is robbing me of launch height.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:54 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,278 Posts
Would you want to shim the front of the stab? Not the back?

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:17 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnaphook View Post
Would you want to shim the front of the stab? Not the back?

Juan
No. The stab on the Polaris hangs from the bottom.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:23 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
No. The stab on the Polaris hangs from the bottom.
Ohhhhh! I was going to say something too, but Juan beat me to it. It all makes sense now.

B
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:24 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,278 Posts
Ah, yes. Then that makes sense I'll just go back to the sidelines.

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,086 Posts
You really shouldn't need to shim the horizontal. Decalage is a bit overemphasized. Trim should be your parameter that you change, not decalage...unless it is WAY out of whack. I have not shimmed any of my horizontals on my Polaris.

I fly at 68mm and trim my speed mode such that I have a very minor pull-up in the dive test. I think you have too much up trim in speed mode. Good luck!
Paul
RCG Plus Member