HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:09 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
I wish I could have got my heavy layup model as light as yours. As it stands, the CG is at 67mm. I have one 285 in the nose, a pair of pre-installed 09s in the wings and a single cell Shred 650 in the nose. It weighs 10.4 oz according to my old postage scale. I wonder if our scales would give the same answers if we could weigh each other's planes? Even my heavily beat up, used, standard layup Polaris with similar equipment weighs about the same but it's CG is 11mm farther back.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:17 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,156 Posts
The surgeon general warns about scale sharing...

This is a light layup. The wing after painting was 108 g less servos. I use a 2s lipo and a DS 188 with ATX 6ch fhss 3 rx with the case off. A little lead in the nose.

My std layup is about 9.7, and my fully painted (with a rudder) heavy layup is 10.2.

All planes are at 68mm.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:20 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,156 Posts
BTW- I got my new fuse today from MMT. New tails are going on with .... wait for it .... a wing AND tails with pumpkin accents.... pics later tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:25 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid View Post
BTW- I got my new fuse today from MMT. New tails are going on with .... wait for it .... a wing AND tails with pumpkin accents.... pics later tonight.
Do they actually have little pumpkins drawn on them?

Would that be Douchy enough???
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:52 PM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I wish I could have got my heavy layup model as light as yours. As it stands, the CG is at 67mm. I have one 285 in the nose, a pair of pre-installed 09s in the wings and a single cell Shred 650 in the nose. It weighs 10.4 oz according to my old postage scale. I wonder if our scales would give the same answers if we could weigh each other's planes? Even my heavily beat up, used, standard layup Polaris with similar equipment weighs about the same but it's CG is 11mm farther back.
Sounds like your scale is stuck at 10.4oz

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:16 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,086 Posts
Wiz
AUW is a bit overemphasized with the Polaris. My std layup is a little over 10oz and I have never felt it too heavy. I fly it in dead air all the time and never feel handicapped. The Polaris carries weight very well and I think does better with weight for most all conditions. It has a big wing. A 10.4oz Polaris is a fine weight. My light layup at 8.5oz was almost too light for me. I found that when I flew my std layup in the very light conditions it gave up very little, if any, in dead air time compared to the light layup. The light layup is best for people without a lot of power on launch. A heavier plane can often launch higher if you are a good launcher. I could throw my std layup higher than my light layup. Your mileage may vary, however.
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:19 PM
Joined Feb 2007
706 Posts
Awesome. World Champion Colors.

The 2 "standards" are Vlad? and the Heavy is Textreme..... I would be flying the heavy as my primary. Not a bad weight at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
For some reason I'm partial to ORANGE

My 2013 Harem....

HUGH
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:26 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
Wiz
AUW is a bit overemphasized with the Polaris. My std layup is a little over 10oz and I have never felt it too heavy. I fly it in dead air all the time and never feel handicapped. The Polaris carries weight very well and I think does better with weight for most all conditions. It has a big wing. A 10.4oz Polaris is a fine weight. My light layup at 8.5oz was almost too light for me. I found that when I flew my std layup in the very light conditions it gave up very little, if any, in dead air time compared to the light layup. The light layup is best for people without a lot of power on launch. A heavier plane can often launch higher if you are a good launcher. I could throw my std layup higher than my light layup. Your mileage may vary, however.
Paul
Dito on what Paul said. Which is why I sold the Light Polaris. Much better for people with with a lower launch. Don't get me wrong any Polaris is a great airframe but I also can Launch a standard higher.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:31 PM
Where did my plane go???
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone View Post
Dito on what Paul said. Which is why I sold the Light Polaris. Much better for people with with a lower launch. Don't get me wrong any Polaris is a great airframe but I also can Launch a standard higher.
Donnie
+ 3 on what they said..

Now get to sleep man! you gotta wake up early to go play.

HUGH
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:33 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,130 Posts
Quote:
Do yourself a favour and buy a better set of scales.

You don't need to spend a lot of cash, less than $20

http://dx.com/s/scales
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:21 PM
Where did my plane go???
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Do yourself a favour and buy a better set of scales.

You don't need to spend a lot of cash, less than $20

http://dx.com/s/scales

HUGH
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:48 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,386 Posts
Quote:
..............It weighs 10.4 oz according to my old postage scale. I wonder if our scales would give the same answers if we could weigh each other's planes? ..........
calibrate it with these!

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...specifications
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:55 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,156 Posts
Pumpkin accents done. Racing stripes on Stabs and cars are ok, but no where else will they be tolerated.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:00 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,156 Posts
The don Johnson

Douchery happens.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:04 AM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,156 Posts
Pink gap seal makes 6 year olds like airplanes, which grants virtually unlimited license to glue anywhere in the house. Spray paint is cool. Sorry used to be green plants in the backyard.
RCG Plus Member