SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:27 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
One last thing I'm going to try before I completely give up on the idea of flying rudderless, I'm going to try mixing in a little aileron into my rudder stick. Maybe with that I can get over this mental block known as rudderless flying.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:35 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
One last thing I'm going to try before I completely give up on the idea of flying rudderless, I'm going to try mixing in a little aileron into my rudder stick. Maybe with that I can get over this mental block known as rudderless flying.
I mix 50 percent and it's works a treat. When flying low without a rudder open the circle and fly more flat another thing I do is work the flap stick to increase camber which will help you in the turn. But yes mix the the other stick.
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:34 PM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,217 Posts
More likely than a double center servo is you have a bit of binding. Check and make sure there is enough clearance for the linkage where it exits the skin, common problem.

Bruce
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:37 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2soar View Post
More likely than a double center servo is you have a bit of binding. Check and make sure there is enough clearance for the linkage where it exits the skin, common problem.

Bruce
That's what Mattias said in a PM. When I get a chance, I'll give it a look. He also gave me some advice on how to free it up with a small file run down the length of the push rod. We'll see what happens and I'll report back.

Mike
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:08 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
Ya know, now that I think about it.... When I was putting the aileron control horns on I was having trouble getting the push rods to line up with the control horn holes. I ended up cutting about 3mm off the bottom of the control horns. How far back into the wing do you guys cut into the top of the wing to accommodate the pushrods? Also, I remember thinking the thing was pretty twitchy on the ailerons... even as I dialed in about 40% expo. Maybe I should go back and make new horns and cut further back into the wing top.... Maybe even get some pushrod shrouds and put them on there.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:37 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Ya know, now that I think about it.... When I was putting the aileron control horns on I was having trouble getting the push rods to line up with the control horn holes. I ended up cutting about 3mm off the bottom of the control horns. How far back into the wing do you guys cut into the top of the wing to accommodate the pushrods? Also, I remember thinking the thing was pretty twitchy on the ailerons... even as I dialed in about 40% expo. Maybe I should go back and make new horns and cut further back into the wing top.... Maybe even get some pushrod shrouds and put them on there.
I relieve the pushrod slots about 3/4" back from the trailing edge into the top wing skins. It allows the pushrods to exit the wing high enough to line up with the holes on the aileron control horns. I would not advise altering the height of the horns. They are made to a specific size for correct geometry (assuming correct servo horn length (4.5mm) as well). Shortening the aileron horns by 3mm will increase surface movement a fair amount (more sensitive), plus put higher load forces on the servo gears and cases.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:07 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I relieve the pushrod slots about 3/4" back from the trailing edge into the top wing skins. It allows the pushrods to exit the wing high enough to line up with the holes on the aileron control horns. I would not advise altering the height of the horns. They are made to a specific size for correct geometry (assuming correct servo horn length (4.5mm) as well). Shortening the aileron horns by 3mm will increase surface movement a fair amount (more sensitive), plus put higher load forces on the servo gears and cases.
+ flutter if you throw like a man.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:00 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
I've got my order in for some new ones from ak79. Ill cut the top back some more for better relief. That's probably the problem with the servo too.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:49 PM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
My Polaris showed up yesterday.
im just waiting on some stuff to show up in the mail to be able to finish it.
wgeffon is offline Find More Posts by wgeffon
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:58 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,151 Posts
I have started a revolution. The third pink polaris has been spotted..... Looks great!
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:10 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
614 Posts
The pink is rad! And when Mike steals it you'll know!

B
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:46 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,917 Posts
Awesome Wayne! Looks great.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:55 AM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
What layup is that wing Wayne? Looks legit.

Does MMT do a samurai lay-up? Is this the Standard weight wing? Also whats the average wing weight for a Standard wing? Have a fuse and just ordered a standard layup and trying to figure out what the materials are and weight of the standard wing.Thanks in advance!
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:23 AM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
My wing is the standard layup.
It's weighs 147g RTF
wgeffon is offline Find More Posts by wgeffon
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
ok so 147 is wing,servos in wing and and throwing peg?
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies