HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:25 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,606 Posts
Looks good, Mark. I've never flown a Stobel. What is it about the Polaris that you like better?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:39 PM
Mark Gauding
USA, MO, Wentzville
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
Mike,

My Stobel's have been great airplanes and I have had good success with them but the Polaris to me seems to be just more efficient without sacrificing much at all in terms of performance.

Just the little bit of flying I was able to do today I seem to groove with the airplane very easily and didn't seem to miss the rudder all that much.

Mark
scootertrash340 is offline Find More Posts by scootertrash340
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:24 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash340 View Post
...It felt like I could move the cg back a little more, will have to try that later. What it the farthest aft cg anybody is using for the Polaris?
Beautiful bird you have there, Mark!

I've flown mine (same exact color scheme as yours) at 74mm and everywhere in between there and 66. It flies and thermals great with the aft CG, but rudderless turns are just a tad sloppier, and penetration coming home from downwind suffered quite a bit. I much prefer it at 68 for overall performance and ease of flying. I also like a little reverse differential in the ailerons. Basically very close to the MMT recommended settings.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:25 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,079 Posts
Quote:
What it the farthest aft cg anybody is using for the Polaris?
69mm

i used to fly mine aft, around 72mm, but have brought it forward to within 65-69mm. it flies much better in the specified range and handles wind and turbulence better. you give up nothing in performance and it only makes the plane easier to fly. i still suggest you play with the CG, but i think you will probably bring it back forward. congrats on your new plane!
paul

EDIT: i must have been typing when Mike was. i will echo everything he said.
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
Mark Gauding
USA, MO, Wentzville
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
Guys,

Thanks alot! I have to admit that I got this a week before the Nat's but do to work I was not able to get it together for the contest and so it lingered in the workshop until last week due to many other projects that needed to get done.

I am glad I got it finished now! I may try a more aft CG but like Mike said it may suffer in the turns due to no rudder. It flew really well at 69 and will probably keep it there.

Mark
scootertrash340 is offline Find More Posts by scootertrash340
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Mcmaster Carr sells it.
Alofthobbies also carries lead shot
1967250s is online now Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:35 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,606 Posts
I finished my Polaris today. Actually, it's not completely finished. Have to make an aileron wireing harness for it. I sole one from another plane. As you may recall this is the heavy layup version and she tips the scales at 10.2 oz. not bad. That's how much my beat up and repaired light layup Polaris weighs. I went rudderless with it. I'm just going to fly that way until it feels natural. If it gets too windy and I need a rudder. My Fr3aK will be flown instead.
I ended up with a CG at 67mm. That's right about where I was hoping to get it. Incidentally, I went and checked the CG on the used one I bought and its at 78mm. I thought it flew well back there. Makes me wonder if I could pull some nose weight out. I'm not going to do that however until I've flown it with the CG where it is now.

Now all I need is a break in the weather to go give it a maiden. Michigan winters..... mumble grumble...

Cheers,
Mike
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:28 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,777 Posts
Your post reminds me, I have a Stobel that needs some work for the spring.

Anyone have a stock Stobel throwing peg? PM me if you do.
I tried a wanted thread a while back and never heard a peep.

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie

edit -oops, sorry for the OT post
I though this was the "what did you do with your DLG today" thread
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Last edited by pmackenzie; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
I was able to finally maiden my Polaris today!

What a great flying airplane even without a rudder! I set mine up as per the Jonas setup sheet and she flies great. It is a medium layup with the molded in servos and am using a MKS 65 for the elevator with pushrod. With the Craig Robinson seagull peg it came out to 9.8oz balanced at 69mm. It felt like I could move the cg back a little more, will have to try that later. What it the farthest aft cg anybody is using for the Polaris?

Looks like I am going to have to order another one and sell my Stobel's!

The receiver and 2 cell lipo are in the nose with the PLD regulator just in between the servo. I am using Airtronics and was able to put one antenna behind the servo on the floor and the other one taped to the hatch. No range issues what so ever!

Mark Gauding
Sell your Stobels?!? May I ask which Stobels you have, and why you like the polaris so much more?

I have a Stobel V3 and was just going to start researching my next plane, but I wanted something of equal caliber but..... Different if that makes any sense.
DeadServo is offline Find More Posts by DeadServo
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:13 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,073 Posts
Fellow polaris D's,
I am in need of one (1) regulator. If you got one, and want to sell it, send me a pm. I dont always use a regultor, but when I do, I prefer PLD.
M Seid is online now Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:30 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,701 Posts
Mike

If you can't find one use a LiFe 500 mah from A-main hobbies. 6.6 no regulator needed

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:41 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid View Post
Fellow polaris D's,
I am in need of one (1) regulator. If you got one, and want to sell it, send me a pm. I dont always use a regultor, but when I do, I prefer PLD.
I have one if j can find it I will make you a deal you can't refuse.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:07 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,606 Posts
Tomorrow the forecast is 26 degrees F and 6mph of wind. If that holds, ill maiden my Polaris on the first.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:25 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,606 Posts
I flew the new Polaris today. It sure is a nice plane. I really like the way the day glow green shows up against the black of the CF. I also like that way it simply leaps out of the hand when I launch it. I still have a lot of trimming to get sorted out. This plane definitely flys differently than Polaris #1. That's to be expected with a CG that is so much different than the other.

I still think I need a rudder. I just don't think I can get use to steering it down low and between people with out it.

Also, I have the pre installed servos. They are those damned Hyperion 09s. One of them double centers slightly and it some times causes my launch to veer off a little to one side. I can't for the life of me understand how these became the gold standard in the DLG world. I've now owned six of them and have a 50% failure rate. If I cant get it sorted out I'm going to have to replace it and I'm dreading that. I'm betting they are really glued in there.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:28 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
I still think I need a rudder. I just don't think I can get use to steering it down low and between people with out it.

Do it rudders are great! Flew my Espada RL today and loved the rudder just not on the Polaris. Good Luck...
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone