SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:06 AM
Sdr
Scott R
Joined Oct 2004
192 Posts
Hummm, posting @ 1:42 AM (MI time) Hard time sleeping?

Does this mean your going to wait a little bit before sending in your TX for service?
Sdr is online now Find More Posts by Sdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:38 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Denmark, Region Zealand, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
433 Posts
carbonfiberpatch at the rear, tens to ad sme weight. dismount it. ;-)
jensdk is online now Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:42 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
It's about the only time I have to myself to do anything like build a model. Plus, I had a large tea from McDonalds in the afternoon and caffeine does it to me every time. Yep, I'll be holding on to the TX awhile longer.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:46 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensdk View Post
carbonfiberpatch at the rear, tens to ad sme weight. dismount it. ;-)
No can do. I'm sure it adds some tail weight but I've had some tails snap loose on landing when just glued on with CA and nothing else. I'll error on the side of caution here. Right now with the thing balanced it weighs 10.2 ounces. That's not bad, in my experience. Not only that, but the boom felt weak back there after I cut it out. I have a friend who broke the tail off on his last summer.

That said, I could be tempted to buy a light layup version and really try hard to bring it in as light as I could.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Dec 02, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:14 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Oh, one more thing. I mentioned that I thought I had a left hand vertical. I don't. I mistook the dark color on the LE of the blade and around one end for the CF reinforcement layer. It's not. I held it up to the light and I saw the reinforcement in the proper location based on the shape.... Duh. And the Kevlar hinge is in the right place too. Everything is absolutely perfect!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:02 AM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
No can do. I'm sure it adds some tail weight but I've had some tails snap loose on landing when just glued on with CA and nothing else. I'll error on the side of caution here. Right now with the thing balanced it weighs 10.2 ounces. That's not bad, in my experience. Not only that, but the boom felt weak back there after I cut it out. I have a friend who broke the tail off on his last summer.

That said, I could be tempted to buy a light layup version and really try hard to bring it in as light as I could.
Ive always had good results with a couple small patches of light glass easier to work with and pretty much invisable!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:15 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1900 Driver View Post
Ive always had good results with a couple small patches of light glass easier to work with and pretty much invisable!

Brandon
I suppose I could pull those off and try that... Might save me some nose weight.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
I have always used a 1/2 inc by 1 inch patch of 3/4 oz glass for securing my verticals and I've broken the spar on rough landings without breaking the joint.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:27 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,109 Posts
I agree those big carbon patches on the tail seem like overkill. They could be be much smaller, and done with light glass instead. Or left off completely. I did one of mine with light glass, and the other with no reinforcement at all. Neither one has ever popped off. Still, 10.2 oz is a very good weight for a heavy layup Polaris with a rudder. It should be just fine as is.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:08 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
I pulled the CF patches back off. They actually came off too easy. Makes me wonder if they would have done much good. But here is the kicker, guys. That moved the CG a whopping 1.5mm forward with all else being the same... 2 servos in the pod and .6 ounces of lead in the nose. Ill bet I didn't save much more than a gram of weight total. So while I can and likely will add the light glass back. This didn't really change a thing. I'm guessing that 10.2 oz is just about what this plane ought to weigh. I'm still undecided about the rudder installation. I think I'm going to forego that for now. I like simple and I already have it built rudderless.

What's your favorite method of adding nose weight that can later be removed? I'm thinking about sticking some fishing sinkers in up there and glueing in a hunk of foam rubber to hold them up there.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:30 PM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I pulled the CF patches back off. They actually came off too easy. Makes me wonder if they would have done much good. But here is the kicker, guys. That moved the CG a whopping 1.5mm forward with all else being the same... 2 servos in the pod and .6 ounces of lead in the nose. Ill bet I didn't save much more than a gram of weight total. So while I can and likely will add the light glass back. This didn't really change a thing. I'm guessing that 10.2 oz is just about what this plane ought to weigh. I'm still undecided about the rudder installation. I think I'm going to forego that for now. I like simple and I already have it built rudderless.

What's your favorite method of adding nose weight that can later be removed? I'm thinking about sticking some fishing sinkers in up there and glueing in a hunk of foam rubber to hold them up there.
Can you post a picture of your fuse without the cover on it so we can see how far forward things are installed?

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:24 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
A little bit of bird shot in a small plastic bag works great for removable nose weight. You can add and subtract until you get the right about of weight, then switch to a solid piece, or ditch the bag and epoxy the lead in the nose.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:39 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
Can you post a picture of your fuse without the cover on it so we can see how far forward things are installed?

HUGH
Hugh,

I haven't installed anything yet. It's all just set in there. I don't want to start fastening things down until I know what's all going to go in there... as in how much lead and how much space does it take up.. That said, I intended to install the stuff like the guy did that built my first Polaris. That being, battery all the way forward, servo in about the middle of the hatch opening and then the RX tucked in under the aft part of the hatch. Now the old plane has a switch jack between the battery and the servo but I want to use my Shred battery and avoid the necessity of the switch jack. I suppose I could go to a 1 cell lipo and use the switch jack but what's the advantage? Not having to open the canopy to turn on and off the plane... That's not much of an advantage for an additional failure point and a more crowded pod.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:45 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
A little bit of bird shot in a small plastic bag works great for removable nose weight. You can add and subtract until you get the right about of weight, then switch to a solid piece, or ditch the bag and epoxy the lead in the nose.
+1

But I tend to leave the little bag of shot in there permanently.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:53 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
You can't buy lead shot any more, can you? I might have a little left from my old skeet shooting days. I'll have to go digging.