HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:45 AM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
439 Posts
Thanks Mr Wizz,

I think I get it, it's just my concern of the boom having a section cut out to fit the Vert. that would lead to boom split if hard nosed. I'll try to search for a picture.

Thanks
Paul Harvey is offline Find More Posts by Paul Harvey
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:51 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,097 Posts
A bit of kevlar thread wrapped around in front of the notch should prevent that.

OT - Reading this thread has me jonesing for a new glider - but I don't need one.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:56 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harvey View Post
Thanks Mr Wizz,

I think I get it, it's just my concern of the boom having a section cut out to fit the Vert. that would lead to boom split if hard nosed. I'll try to search for a picture.

Thanks
On another glider I had I didn't notch the boom. Rather I cut slots into the vertical and slid it in over the boom. Then I used a patch of Kevlar cloth over each side to keep it from breaking loose. I might consider that method here or I light just wrap it in thread as Pat suggests.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
A bit of kevlar thread wrapped around in front of the notch should prevent that.

OT - Reading this thread has me jonesing for a new glider - but I don't need one.

Pat MacKenzie
Well, sell one of the gliders you have. Then you'll need one... and you'll have some money to pay for it too.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:02 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Denmark, Region Zealand, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
Paul,
Don't worry about boomsplit, the nose will bend before the boom splits,, I've crashed some MMT fuselages. ;-)
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Well, sell one of the gliders you have. Then you'll need one... and you'll have some money to pay for it too.

That goes against my basic "hoarder" tendencies

I did try to sell one to a guy at work who wants to try DLG , but he wants to buy new not used.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:07 AM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post

Pat MacKenzie
Don't I know it.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:13 AM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensdk View Post
Paul,
Don't worry about boomsplit, the nose will bend before the boom splits,, I've crashed some MMT fuselages. ;-)
Maybe I should be looking for the Tonka model instead. :
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:16 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
I would tend to agree. The nose is definitely not the strong part of this plane. It's quite thin up there.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:31 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,989 Posts
some of you may have missed my point > dogs are only as good as their trainers

I read the beginning of this thread, and only want to note that my female German Shephard grew up around model aircraft and fullsize sailplanes. She was easily taught that chasing flying stuff was OK, but as soon as they got low enough for her to touch, she must break of immediately at 90. I remember we had her lie down on the grass powered-model runway outside Boston and stay there as we made (slow and not too) low passes over her.

One time at Elmira, when I was up in a Schweizer along with about a dozen others, she came out towards my plane just as I popped the spoilers over the wires at the end of the field. Apparently, after about a 40 min flight [low-performance plane], she had either kept track of mine or recognized the colors and only came out to meet MINE.

Another time, when I was flying in a Blanik at Eagleville/TN, since she'd found out that a circling sailplane, model or fullsize, is easy to run after, the circle drifting only with the wind, she followed me across many farmers' fields, and was very lucky not to get shot for trespassing.

At one R/C sailplane contest, after explaining to another contestant that if the dog barks, you are in lift and should circle, I was surprised to hear him repeat that an hour later to someone else. A living variometer.

Actually, though they have poor vision, these dogs have much better built-in motion detection & analysis software than we, allowing them to catch small animals for dinner.

Whenever I was developing a new flying toy for potential mass-mktg, if SHE liked it I knew it was OK.

And she was VERY careful to never step on a model or toy plane. NEVER.

"GOOD dog"!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:06 PM
Jens Hoffmann
Denmark, Region Zealand, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I would tend to agree. The nose is definitely not the strong part of this plane. It's quite thin up there.
Say that again Mr Wiz

F3K Sirius nose testing (2 min 14 sec)

only difference is the kevlar. :-)
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:13 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
After handling it again I'd say the nose isn't too bad. It's really just the canopy hatch that's thin and flimsy.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:30 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,242 Posts
Why overbuild something that isn't load bearing like a canopy?
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:36 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Generally, I wouldn't post a build thread for a plane like this. It's so darn prefabricated that there isn't much to do. That said, some people have asked questions and then asked if I would post some pictures. With that in mind, here is the beginning of my build.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Dec 02, 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:42 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
I started to look at the balance on the plane before I called it a night. I stuck my Shred 650 battery in the nose, a receiver and one JR DS285 servo for the elevator. Man, does it need a lot of nose weight... At this rate, I thought I might as well install a rudder servo so I popped another 285 into the nose and checked it again. Heck, I still need nose weight. At this point I have 0.6 ounces of lead taped to the nose and I'm balancing at about 70mm. That's still back there.. Oh, to heck with it for now. I still gotta hook up the ailerons before I get too serious about balance. I do think I'll be cutting in a rudder however. No sense in adding dead weight, IMHO.