SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:52 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
I had a midair with Lovins down in Arizona and have finally gotten around to properly fixing my wing. I flew the last few rounds and flyoffs with the gash in the wing and just some scotch tape over the rip... full launches didn't seem to bother it at all.
Great repair!

I can also recomment a type of field repair that lasts...

Preharden som carbon fabric, approx 60-80g/msqr fabrics...like 30*30cm

When a cut like this occur:
1. sand the edges around the cut
2. cut a piece (patch) from the prehardened fabric the gives 5-10mm overlap over the cut
3. put the patch onto a 20 cm long packing tape
4. put some medium thick CA glue on the patch (along the edge)
5. wrap the tape around the cut
6. fly one round
7 take the tape avay and you have a nice patch that lasts

/Jonas Ekman

ps...who gives me a team Douch T-shirt for the worlds??
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Last edited by oakman7004; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:18 AM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
/Jonas Ekman

ps...who gives me a team Douch T-shirt for the worlds?? [/QUOTE]

Well we do need to print more for other Team Douche Members. Are you saying that you want to be part of the Team? Paul I need you to chime in here as a founding member of the Douche Club. Does he have what it takes?
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
Håkan Nate Sjöberg
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Göteborg
Joined Jan 2004
65 Posts
I can personally vouch for Oakman - he's definitely Douche material!!
isobar is offline Find More Posts by isobar
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone View Post
Does he have what it takes?
oh, yeah!

welcome to the team, Jonas! you will have a TD shirt for the worlds.

if anyone wants to be on Team Douche, all you need to do is ask. our eligibility requirements are very relaxed
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:41 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,098 Posts
That is true.
-SVP, Team Douche.
M Seid is online now Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
OK.... Dumb newbie question here. I just picked up my new Polaris from the FedEx office. I couldn't wait till I got home and opened it up in the back of the van. This plane came with the molded in servos. For some reason I thought that meant the pushrods would be attached. How do I attach pushrods without cutting an access hatch, thereby negating the advantage of having them moulded in? I'm sure there is a good answer to this but I can't figure it out. BTW, This is my very first "new" DLG so don't be too hard on me when you respond with the obvious answer that is escaping me.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Mark Gauding
USA, MO, Wentzville
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
Don't worry, the pushrods are hooked up already. Fold down the aileron and you should see a pushrod with an L bend right against the drag spar. You will have to cut a little bit of the top skin to get the pushrods to hook up to the control horns. Also hook up the servos and center them before putting the control horns on the ailerons.

The cut on the top skin on mine was not just a simple narrow cut but had to be widened a little bit since the pushrod ends were not a simple L Bend but kind of a box L bend.

I just finished mine but have not been able to fly it due to been sick all week!

Good luck!

Mark Gauding
scootertrash340 is offline Find More Posts by scootertrash340
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:16 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
I knew there had to be a good answer. When I get it home ill take a better look in the hinge line. Thanks!

Mike

<edit> Yep. They're in there.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,805 Posts
"good dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
This is why Kona never gets near my planes. I usually shoo him out of the room if I'm working on one. As you can see, grace is not one of his qualities. Classic move caught on film here, step in the food bowl, flip it over, and then when I come to investigate the calamity I get the "It flipped itself, I swear" look. He pulled a charger off the table once, and when he heard it all crashing down behind him, he ran even faster, which pulled down about 6 other things. Luckily there were no planes on the bench!
Read the beginning of this thread, and only want to note that my female German Shephard grew up around model aircraft and fullsize sailplanes. She was easily taught that chasing flying stuff was OK, but as soon as they got low enough for her to touch, she must break of immediately at 90°. I remember we had her lie down on the grass powered-model runway outside Boston and stay there as we made (slow and not too) low passes over her. One time at Elmira, when I was up in a Schweizer along with about a dozen others, she came out towards my plane just as I popped the spoilers over the wires at the end of the field. Apparently, after about a 40 min flight [low-performance plane], she had either kept track of mine or recognized the colors and only came out to meet MINE. Another time, when I was flying in a Blanik at Eagleville/TN, since she'd found out that a circling sailplane, model or fullsize, is easy to run after, the circle drifting only with the wind, she followed me across many farmers' fields, and was very lucky not to get shot for trespassing. At one R/C sailplane contest, after explaining to another contestant that if the dog barks, you are in lift and should circle, I was surprised to hear him repeat that an hour later to someone else. A living variometer. Actually, though they have poor vision, these dogs have much better built-in motion detection & analysis software than we, allowing them to catch small animals for dinner.

Whenever I was developing a new flying toy for potential mass-mktg, if SHE liked it I knew it was OK.

And she was VERY careful to never step on a model or toy plane. NEVER.

"GOOD dog"!

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Next question: Is the flat side of the vertical suppose to face me or face away from me? If I were to install a rudder, shouldn't the gap face away from me?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
Ed White
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
903 Posts
Gonna maiden a new Polaris tomorrow.
Can't wait!!!
fruitguy is offline Find More Posts by fruitguy
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:25 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Next question: Is the flat side of the vertical suppose to face me or face away from me? If I were to install a rudder, shouldn't the gap face away from me?
Look at the molded slot for the vertical on the end of the boom. You can see the airfoil shape in it. Flat side faces away from the launch blade.

Yes, the gap and control horn on a ruddered vertical should face away from you. By the way, I ordered my Polaris vertical with the kevlar rudder hinge in the layup, but the gap not cut. The hinge is actually on the flat side which means I would have to cut the gap on the curved side (opposite of what I think it should be). Don't know if putting the control horn on the non-gap side is advisable or not. So I didn't cut it. And I'm glad I didn't because I'm really liking it rudderless.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:32 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Look at the molded slot for the vertical on the end of the boom. You can see the airfoil shape in it. Flat side faces away from the launch blade.
That's what I thought. In order for me to install the vertical that way I have to put it in upside down. That being where the CF that wraps around one end for a skid ends up on top. But, the kevlar hinge material is on the proper side. I'm going to see if I can get Bruce to order me another one, made for a righty.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:47 AM
Canada
Joined Jun 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Look at the molded slot for the vertical on the end of the boom.
Hi Mike,

I am a potential Polaris owner and I wanted to be clear, the boom is notched?

Thanks Paul
Paul Harvey is offline Find More Posts by Paul Harvey
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:20 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
It's not actually notched. What is there is a molded in filet where the vertical goes. It's on both the top and the bottom. You can see the shape of the airfoil when you look at it. You are suppose to trim this area out. The process I'm going to take is to cut the meat out but leave it too small, then file it to shape with a slightly curved emory board so that I have a nice tight fit and a perfect 90° angle to the stab. Of course, this will be done AFTER I have the stab parallel to the wing. FWIW, when I was first talking to Bruce, early last week he said if I ordered one right then the wait was going to be about 60 days. So if you want one for the spring, I wouldn't wait around too long to decide. How did I get mine so fast? Somebody backed out on an order and I was just lucky and jumped on it.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Dec 01, 2012 at 10:26 AM.