HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,201 Posts
I really don't wanna break one Yeves but one must be sure his equipment won't fail during a contest.

I got my light one out this evening for a few trips around the Thermal Farm. At 9oz it feels like nothing when I throw it and hangs in the light stuff forever, I felt good grabbing threes off the trees.

Bruce
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,636 Posts
It smells a bit douchy over here...

I flew my standard layup Polaris for all rounds last weekend in New Mexico. It treated me very well. Launches like a mutha and floats with the best. It did take a few rounds in the wind to get a better grip on penetration (really just to get it trimmed properly). I flew it with (10.5 oz) and without (9.8 oz) ballast. She did everything I needed. Thanks guys for a great plane.

And thanks Donnie for the build advice.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,073 Posts
Finchy,
Great flying last weekend! Second place is nothing to shake a stick at! How much time did you have on the model? Not much, right? That speaks volumes to how easy this plane is to fly.

It's outstanding how the MMT Team was able to get such amazing launch out of a floaty and easy to fly airplane. Those are qualities I value a lot. For example, I loved my Stobel V3 for its launch but hated its poor float and twitchy handling. I loved the Stobel V2 for its handling and float but couldnt launch it as high. The Polaris seems to have great lauch and excellent handling and float, but moves very well if you need it to with proper settings and ballast. Most DLGs are a compromise between launch and float but somehow the Polaris didn't compromise, it just took the best launching capabilities and float and handling and put them in one plane. Now I don't need different models, just tailored layups for the conditions. It's like the old Lay's potato chip motto, "Betcha can't eat just one." Once I had one Polaris, all I wanted was more Having the Polaris taking 2nd, 3rd, and 4th is awesome! That isn't noise, that is a result! Great flying to all!
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:56 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,636 Posts
Yeah Paul, I had maybe 15 min of air time on the plane before the contest . If I took home wood, you know it's easy to fly! You thinking about making it out to BSoUT?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Yeah Paul, I had maybe 15 min of air time on the plane before the contest . If I took home wood, you know it's easy to fly! You thinking about making it out to BSoUT?
Donnie and I were in the same place at BSoAZ. We had maybe an hour on our models before the contest. I maidened mine on the warmup day before the contest.

I want to make BSoUT but have a lot going on in August. I am better than 50/50 on making it out. Hope to see you out there!
Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Mark Gauding
USA, MO, Wentzville
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
I got my Polaris today! It looks great and can't wait to put it together!

Question for the Polaris group, has anybody installed a T blade or Seagul throwing peg in a Polaris wing? I prefer these over the standard throwing blade and was wondering if anybody has had any problems with this style of throwing blade.

Thanks!

Mark Gauding
scootertrash340 is offline Find More Posts by scootertrash340
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,201 Posts
Nice purse Mark:-) The MMT peg is quite comfortable and the hard point in the wing is designed to be just big enough to support it. The wing may not support the T blade and it will be a mean lady trying to channel out a slot through the hard point.

Brude
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,216 Posts
I'm pretty sure mike m. (like2fly) has a seagull style peg in his Polaris, so he might have some suggestions for the install. I've felt the stock blade, though, and it's very comfortable.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Last edited by bwill6; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:35 AM
Mark Gauding
USA, MO, Wentzville
Joined Apr 2002
64 Posts
Bruce,

I am just trying to accerize and I thought the purse would work! It is European though!

I will try the blade.

Mark
scootertrash340 is offline Find More Posts by scootertrash340
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash340 View Post
Question for the Polaris group, has anybody installed a T blade or Seagul throwing peg in a Polaris wing? I prefer these over the standard throwing blade and was wondering if anybody has had any problems with this style of throwing blade.
Mark,
I have installed a T-blade on two Polaris and I like them a lot. The stock peg is definitely ample but I like the feel of curved blades and the added strength it gives to the tip. However, I dont like the weight it adds. Expect the T-blade installation to add perhaps 4-5gr. The stock blade install should not add more than 1.5gr. Weight at the tips is not generally a good thing for all-around performance but you get a very robust throwing peg, which I like.

I posted some info on my T-blade install here.

I also wrote up a thorough tutorial about installing them in a hollow-molded wing in my blog. The method for installing it in a solid core wing is identical except you MUST clean out all the foam in the channel and adhere the tongue of the blade directly to the inside of the skins. Use a small file or cut-down emory board to ensure there is no foam on the inside of the skins before bonding. If you simply bond the tongue to the foam you will not achieve a satisfactory installation. The foam is weaker than the skins and will pull out if glued just to the foam. The upside is that routing out a channel in a solid core (foam core) wing is much easier than a hollow-molded wing. A hollow-molded wing has a lot of splooge and reinforcements that you need to channel. A foam core wing is easier.

You must also inset the peg enough such that it is F3K legal, which means that the outermost portion of the peg must be within the half span of the wing per F3K rules.

Post here or send me a PM if you have any questions. You have in your hands one of the finest F3K gliders available! Good luck!
Cheers
Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:41 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,651 Posts
German Open great job Mattias
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,073 Posts
Yeah, so how did the German Open go, Mattias? I saw in the German forums that you had a spectacular flight in the flyoffs where your plane was well below your feet level. Alex H already recounted a bit of the flight here. Great flying to you, Peter and Jonas! Congrats on your great finish!
Cheers
Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
3,031 Posts
IF I were possibly going to perhaps consider maybe cutting a rudder into the pink douche Polaris, where theoretically would it be as a percent of cord? Not that I actually will.
M Seid is online now Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,367 Posts
After the Baster-2 rudder experience I would consider approximately 75% rearward from the leading edge. I used a rudder that was only 1.25" chord to reduce pressure blowback during launch and while it's not as efficient during normal flight it still works pretty well and does not give up much if any launch height.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Mike go wash your mouth out with a bar of LAVA soap. Then go out to the garden and get me a switch from the peach tree "It better not be a fat one". Thats what my grandma would tell me when I said a bad word.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone