HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:41 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
995 Posts
....just double check the spar so it isn't cracked. If you have broken fibres add som tow on the outside and clamp it down with mylar.....

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:20 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post
....just double check the spar so it isn't cracked. If you have broken fibres add som tow on the outside and clamp it down with mylar.....

/Jonas Ekman
Not sure how to check the spar... Where is it located (right in thickest part of airfoil)? Is it a carbon rod or flat rectangular bar? How big? What can I do to tell if it's cracked or not without looking in there?

Thanks for your help, Jonas.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,237 Posts
I know with some solid core wings (particularly the XXLite) you can see the spar quite clearly if you just hold the wing up to a bright light. The skin is thin enough and the foam is transparent enough that some light will go through the wing and the spar shows up nicely.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:35 PM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
995 Posts
The spar is 2" from the LE where the delam is. It is just carbon tow between the skin and rohacell foam in that area. Look for cracks in the skin like you have towards the TE...the pic do not show any crack so your'r most likely ok.

A easy way is to check is also to gently bent the wing to see that the spar is getting a nice "bend" if the tow is broken you see this......

/Jonas Ekman
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
150 Posts
I've used big bags of rice outside mylars to get a nice conformal weight distribution on a delam like that. Definitely inject resin under the skin though - or at least prick the skin a bunch if you don't want to inject.
iwokeupwithgills is offline Find More Posts by iwokeupwithgills
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:28 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
995 Posts
Success for the Polaris at The Bruce... Well done lads....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565321
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Just finished a Light Version of the Polaris and the weight is 8.5 oz. Test in the morning with report, I can only hope it will holds up to my launch although the wing is still very stiff! Wish me luck...
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
It would probably hold up to MY launch. I wish my piggy Polaris (10.5oz) weighed 8.5. Is it just the wing layup that's different?
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Yes less material in the wing. I will take it easy but I think it going to hold up. Fingers crossed.
Donnie
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:15 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,091 Posts
Roll Tape! Do not launch w/o video going!!!!!!!

But Geesh, I dont want to fly against you and an 8.5 oz Polaris!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,794 Posts
What people using for ballast?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:44 PM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,217 Posts
I tried as hard as I could to break my light one, it took all I could give it. The light wings come with a suggestion not to use any ballast. At the IHLGF I had a midair with my standard and finished the contest flying my light wing with 1oz ballast. Not recommended but had no problems.

There is a built in ballast box on the Polaris fuse. I cut a 1oz slab of lead and pound it into a plate that fits nicely in the box. With a tight fit you can get 3 in there. The tungsten ballast for pinewood derby cars works well too.

Bruce
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
You can wrap the slugs in tape to get a snug fit if needed. I made some balsa "fillers" on either end of the slugs, then wrapped all in tape until I got the proper fit.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,217 Posts
I get a lot of PM here for info about the Polaris and availability so I will post for everyone. I take care of all USA orders for Momentum Model Technologies. For outside USA sales you will find an e-mail link on the MMT website. There is no priority for orders taken, they get built in the order they were received. Right now my guess is an order today is 1.5-2 months away from your doorstep. If you are interested in getting one custom built just for you please shoot me an e-mail here: bruce.davidson@momentum-mt.se

This is my standard reply once you contact me and place your order:

Thank your for inquiring about an order. I will need your shipping address and phone number. When I have the models in my hand I will send you an invoice with payment instructions. I will ship your kit as soon as payment is received. Payment for the kit will be Paypal directly to MMT and payment for shipping will go to me. Shipping is actual cost and normally between $55-$75 depending on your location. The standard Polaris kit is $950.00.

Here are your options:
Wing- left or right handed
Wing- standard, heavy or light layup. Durability will reflect in your layup choice. The light layup should not be flown with ballast.
Wing- Tip color options are, red, blue, orange, white or yellow at no extra charge. Dayglow yellow, dayglow green dayglow orange (+3-5g extra) plus $30.00. Full painted wing plus $50.00 Normally there is a white accent stripe on top and white stripes on bottom. Bottom stripes can match tips if you like.
Wing- Molded in Hyperion servos, +$200.00
Tails- standard, light or heavy layup, Kevlar strip for rudder hinge and left or right handed fin. Painted tails to match wing color will add about 5g to the overall weight and $10.00 to your order, +1g on the tails.
Orders of 3 or more (get your flying biddies in on it) will be shipped directly from Sweden to you with a big savings in freight.

Bruce

Momentum Model Technologies website: http://www.momentum-mt.se/
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
Last edited by got2soar; Jul 11, 2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added MMT website
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
What people using for ballast?
For you Finch I would reccommend using light weight foam. I know after BSOC you are going to be on a mission. How is the polaris treating you?
Donnie