SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:33 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
oh yeah, indeed nice video and nice flying. i cut my index finger a few weeks ago and have not been able to throw since. videos like these are what gives me the will to live thanks for sharing! go team douche! kick some booty at BSoCO!
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:50 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Polaris at BSOC, first place prelims by JP_SOAR, first place flyoff by me. :-)
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
great flying, Donnie! those looked like some challenging conditions. you kicked some butt in the AULD in the flyoffs...and the 5x2min. gotta love the Polaris! congrats on another great finish. i wish i could have been there with you!
paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:48 AM
the icbm of pilots
albuquerque, NM
Joined Mar 2007
613 Posts
Polaris also took 8th in the flyoffs
skylerraver is offline Find More Posts by skylerraver
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:55 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone View Post
Polaris at BSOC, first place prelims by JP_SOAR, first place flyoff by me. :-)
Also second place in prelims. Flew the Polaris all 14 rounds. Added a little ballast for the windy flyoffs, and it was performing very nice during warmup. Then it got driven into the ground by a freaky gust during a downwind turn and snapped the boom, only 30 seconds before the first flyoff round launch . Totally my fault. Grabbed my old Steig, and wasn't in the best of moods. Then the Steig got sammed 1/2 way through the last round . Tough flyoffs for me. Still had fun!
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:07 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Stellar work as usual, Mike i am glad you are liking your Polaris, but very sorry about all the carnage. how is the rudderless thing treating you? are you starting to like it now? great flying by all of you (even non-Polaris pilots)! as you can see, i am getting a bit anxious not having flown in almost a month! my finger is still healing. i spend too much time here on RCG now.
paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:14 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
how is the rudderless thing treating you? are you starting to like it now?
paul
Hmmmm, now might not be the best time for that question...

John's Polaris had a rudder and he seemed happy with it.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Hmmmm, now might not be the best time for that question...

John's Polaris had a rudder and he seemed happy with it.

Charlie

Great Plane! Did everything I asked of it for two days .... and yes
I had a rudder on mine.......... Gives me another dimension of control and
keeps my left thumb busy..........

Jon
JP-Soar is offline Find More Posts by JP-Soar
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
I was curious to hear what Mike has to say. I recall he was undecided about rudderless a couple months ago. I wanted to hear his take on it.

Just a side note, I rebalanced my planes to be agree with MMT's suggested CG and added reverse diff very similar to Jonas E's setup and the plane flew VERY nicely. I feel like an idiot for trying to blaze my own trail. It is better to stand on the shoulders of giants, as the old adage goes The setup that Jonas gave was much better than mine.

Congrats, Jon! I am really happy you are liking the plane! You flew great!
Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,110 Posts
Yes, I was undecided. After flying my standard layup Polaris rudderless for a couple of months now I am still undecided. About 95% of the time I'm perfectly happy with it as is. Love how it launches with the big stiff vertical. Love the lighter weight and simplicity. Thermaling up high in wide lift with long lazy turns is sweet. Approach control to tip catch is just fine. But when trying to maintain contact with small diameter low level lift... dang, I still miss that rudder! I'm torn between adding another 10-12 grams of weight, or leaving it as is. Now that it needs some repairs after the Colorado incident, and weight can't be so tightly controlled anymore, I might think seriously about getting another light layup kit for rudderless, and go ahead and cut the rudder into the heavier one for a wind plane. I do love the Polaris.

I'm still flying mine with lots of normal differential, and CG about 67 or a little ahead of that in wind. Paul, how did yours change when you went to reverse diff?

Excellent flying this weekend Jon P. You and your Polaris were the master of the prelims, and your color scheme is just cool. You should post a pic of it, well... a pic before it met my Steig in the flyoffs . What damage did it suffer? Hope it isn't too bad.

Mike
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
I'm still flying mine with lots of normal differential, and CG about 67 or a little ahead of that in wind. Paul, how did yours change when you went to reverse diff?
Before I added reverse diff I was using quite an aggressive normal diff (more up than down) setup: 40% in cruise and 70% in thermal The second I added reverse diff (I essentially reversed the sign on my diff settings) the plane flew out in the smaller bubbles down low. The way I see it is that when you add normal diff (more up than down) you are effectively reflexing the wing. When adding reverse diff (more down than up) you are cambering the wing. When you are flying small bubbles in light air down low, you want the wing to produce a lot of lift, so adding camber is a good thing. I had difficulties getting my Polaris to fly out in very small bubbles in the light lift with normal diff. It felt like the plane just did not want to fly out. Once I added reverse diff, I did not see a pronounced skidding on turns (which I thought I would) and the plane climbed out better. The aero guy in me does not like it, but the empirical pilot does To each his own, I will say. I think I javelin launch my plane as much as a I discus launch now...that's how happy I am with the reverse diff down low.

I really want to stress that the MMT team are model makers second, and world-class pilots first. They have spent a lot of time working on optimizing the Polaris control setup so NOT trying their setup is an exercise in futility. There are plenty of model makers that suggest setup parameters that I would never trust. MMT is not one of them Again, congrats to all at the last BSoCO!
Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,110 Posts
I need serious help! In many ways, but mainly on how to fix my wing. Oh mighty Polaris group, please offer your suggestions...

A mishap at BSOC last weekend right before the flyoffs left my Polaris wing with some serious delamination in several areas . After letting it sit for a week I was finally able to stomach tacking a closer look at it, and start planning the repairs.

See photos. Red outlined areas are delammed. This is on both the top and bottom of right wing and aileron, mid-span. Aileron hinge delammed for several inches, and the aileron itself is kinked and warped in one spot with trailing edge split open. There are a few small tears/cracks in the carbon skin. Aileron control horn broken (on opposite wing, strangely enough).

I'm not sure of the best way to proceed, but assume it will involve injecting laminating resin/epoxy under the skin with a syringe, and clamping it down. But with no wing shucks, I don't know how to apply steady even pressure, conformed to the airfoil, across these large areas. Or how to get the resin evenly distributed throughout. Not sure how to dig out and replace the broken control horn, or if the small skin tears/cracks should be overlayed with a carbon patch?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,804 Posts
I think you need to do it one section at a time and do it like Jonas does here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post20547580. I actually think you could get enough epoxy through the skin by just wetting the outside, letting it sit for a few minutes then wiping it dry with paper towels. Then clamping it between stiff foam.

Edit: dont forget the Mylar or at least plastic sheeting.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Last edited by jfinch; Jun 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:24 PM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
995 Posts
Easy fix....Use a syringe to get resin below the skin. I doubt it will be enough to just try to get it through the skin from the outside. Do the repair as JB writes ant you'll only have a +5 g weight penalty....

Do a small section first to try it out and you'll get how to do it!

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:35 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Littleton, CO
Joined Feb 2007
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post
Easy fix....Use a syringe to get resin below the skin. I doubt it will be enough to just try to get it through the skin from the outside. Do the repair as JB writes ant you'll only have a +5 g weight penalty....

Do a small section first to try it out and you'll get how to do it!

/Jonas Ekman
Jonas,
Doing the same... Thanks for the info.... Repairability is a plus on this plane.

Jon
JP-Soar is offline Find More Posts by JP-Soar