M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post

Man. I'm longing for summer...

/Jonas Ekman
Nate flew in sd with us in December. He should still have some of his tan.

You could fly in Florida. Only 4weeks away.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
Håkan Nate Sjöberg
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Göteborg
Joined Jan 2004
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid View Post
Nate flew in sd with us in December. He should still have some of his tan.

You could fly in Florida. Only 4weeks away.

Man was it nice in SoCal!

/Nate
isobar is online now Find More Posts by isobar
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Hey Jonas brothers, you guys have a very nice glider in the Polaris. It was flown to great success out here as you can see. I used my not so rudderless version for the firts two rounds. Was easily able to launch and hang overhead for two minutes and relight quickly in the 5 twos. A not so great decision left me in not so great air in the Last Two flights task, but since Seid beat me it obviously wasn't the glider ;-)

Cheers.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
Hey Bruce!

Gonna miss you this weekend. Work first though...

Paul's wing is even sweeter in person but I'll still take the naked ST instead

HUGH

HOLY KRAP!!!!! I would have never guessed someone would use an actual picture of themselves for an avitar! Good to meet you Hugh, look forward to going up against you on my home turf in the near future!

That goes for all you other Polaris drivers as well!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
but since Seid beat me it obviously wasn't the glider ;-)
Cheers.
Mike
Hey Blues Brother,

"Seid" is the Numero Uno, The King etc... or didn't you know that yet ? He will beat you handsdown even with a second- or third hand Salpeter

Yves
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydevriendt View Post
Hey Blues Brother,

"Seid" is the Numero Uno, The King etc... or didn't you know that yet ? He will beat you handsdown even with a second- or third hand Salpeter

Yves
Oh that's funny right there Yves.
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
HOLY KRAP!!!!! I would have never guessed someone would use an actual picture of themselves for an avitar! Good to meet you Hugh, look forward to going up against you on my home turf in the near future!

That goes for all you other Polaris drivers as well!
I'm Not going to say anything about how you look like your avatar as well.. My mom says If I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.. Too funny!

Jon it's a good thing you don't live closer because we would cause some serious trouble!

I don't know if I can make the Utah contest but I will try my hardest(I truly will)! Just an FYI... I WILL bring my "A" game and my Polarises..

Again it was great to meet you and Adrian!

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
News Flash: 3 of the 4 Polaris at our last contest this weekend were in the flyoffs...
Let's just say the 4th pilot sucked... I wasn't sure if I was going to fly the Polaris or not since I didn't have much time on it, but it was flying great when I was test flying before the contest started so I decided to fly it. I started out well with a 960 on the 5x2, and a 854 on the last 2 x 4.00 which still wasn't bad given the conditions and the competition.

A couple more rounds I didn't do as well and I really suck at poker, just pilot error not the plane, and then I mis-judged whether I was in front of or behind a light pole, and ended up hitting the pole with the right wing. There was a bit of leading edge damage where it struck but that was all I could find. The wing still felt strong, so later on I put some tape on the leading edge and test flew it and everything seemed fine.

After a few throws or it might have been a round or two later, on launch we heard a crack. The peg was in the wingtip, but the wingtip had broken a little inboard of the peg. It was most visible from the top with the white paint, but you could feel a crack on the bottom carbon as well. I didn't want to do a bad field repair job away from my shop so I had to fly my other plane for the rest of the contest...

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,193 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the 'Maximum Velocity' tungsten plates fit the ballast box?

Also, are 2 sets of 6 needed to get to full ballast or is it 3 sets?

Thanks,

Ken.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
51 Posts
whats does that tail design do
justeyfly is offline Find More Posts by justeyfly
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:38 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,064 Posts
Brian,
you do not suck! you are an awesome pilot with an incredible launch. if the Polaris survived for you, i am confident you would have moved up SEVERAL places. i was watching you fly and was impressed with what you were making the Polaris do. Give the plane some time. you will be a force to be reckoned with very soon with this plane

Skyboyken,
one set includes 6, 1/2oz plates, for a total of 3oz which should be plenty for nearly all conditions we fly. you only need one set. the only thing i dont like it the plates are dimensioned such that the mass is located at about 70mm aft of the LE which is behind the CG of what some pilots are flying. i am flying mine between 70-72mm so adding ballast does not affect balance. the plates are a little narrow too so you will need to block the sides and back of the box for a tight fit.

the Polaris carries weight very well. i actually enjoy flying my Polaris with about an ounce of ballast to bring it up to 11oz. it flies faster but doesnt hinder climb. i played with the full load, 3oz of ballast (13oz AUW), and it really pulls on the arm during launch but flies great even that heavily loaded. again, climb is still good. some planes dont handle a lot of ballast very well, but the Polaris really does. My Twister 1 flew great with up to 2oz of ballast, but much more and the climb simply disappeared. being able to take a lot of ballast makes the Polaris a real multi-purpose plane, it can fly light air and heavy winds with the same airframe, just play with ballast. let me know if you need any more info.
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:39 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
Thanks Paul! When I hit the light pole, I wasn't going fast, but being able to tape it and fly says something of the overall strength of the wing. As for the tip, I don't see any other way to fix it other than to put a patch on the top and bottom, unless someone has another type of fix. I don't think I do any weird twisting of the tip when I throw, but maybe I do and just don't know it, I'm usually the one taking the pictures... The only thing I can figure is that one finger released before the other which torqued the peg funny... It did "feel" like one of my stronger launches, I'm a good launcher, but I don't usually rip tips off planes.

As for the pine car weights, here's a couple of pictures. I haven't had a chance to try them yet so I'm not sure if it affects my CG, but as Paul said, you get six 1/2 ounch plates. The picture is one set, and I think you can see the amount of room in the chamber. When you stack 3 plates in they come to just below the top of the chamber, maybe about 1/32" below the top. As you can see there is also a little side to side play and certainly front to back. Perhaps if you make different foam spacers you can add ballast in 1/2 oz. increments, at least that's what I plan to do.

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:13 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
984 Posts
When repairing the tip...

FIRST! Inject with a syringe/needle some thin CA glue into the rohacell core. Do this around the peg area, lets say a radius of 3/8. This since the core might have been crushed/mushed just outside the hardpoint, and it needs to get stiff again to support the fabric. Then add a patch on bottom and top. Also as a last thing, create a small fillet around the peg itself to give a nice transition to the surface, like a 1/16 or so radius.

Use very little CA glue...not much CA glue is needed to dothe foam fix!

Hope you understand my explanation.

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:04 AM
Bob W
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Jul 2003
922 Posts
Guessing you could use heat shrink around the ballast in that scenario. Maybe tack on some thin balsa strips along the sides of the weight to firm up the side/side fit b4 heat shrinking.
Bob
tigroot is offline Find More Posts by tigroot
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:25 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,193 Posts
Thanks RCPC and bjue!

Ken.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken