HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:36 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,999 Posts
Love the look of the white tips, and the carbon over white tail. It's like it's a dlg in formal wear.

Can anyone tell me why kevlar has to come in yellow?
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:01 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid View Post
Love the look of the white tips, and the carbon over white tail. It's like it's a dlg in formal wear.

Can anyone tell me why Kevlar has to come in yellow?
Kevlar... it can't be bleached white and turns that brownish hue with UV exposure. I know it will take fabric dyes well, it's common to see dyed thread in fishing specialty shops. Don't know why we haven't seen more dyed Kevlar fabrics? I'd prefer something other than the natural colors being used in our planes, maybe it's all part of the evolution of things.

Polaris is about done now, haven't been rushing to finish it. Still trying to sort out how not to loose the pull string when I remove the horizontal! Might just stick a separate little keeper in the slot when the horizontal is off...? I'm new to this type of control linkage.
I did notice how close Donnie put the spring to the control horn, appears to be the way to go..., I have mine about 15mm away from the horn and it looks to twist the control surface ever so slightly when under full load. I may need to move it closer but, I'll try it this way.

Good luck on the maiden flights Donnie.

Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Eric is dead on, I know a guy who died some kevlar black for a pod.

In the pic of the wing is it an illusion or does the lay-up look a little dry? At the Bruce Joe W explained that he had some Stobel wings made with no carbon because the carbon on the D-Box was pitting like in the pic. Is that avoidable when using carbon?

Luap
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:50 AM
Team Horizon pilot
Louisville, KY
Joined Jun 2005
1,181 Posts
Eric, you can tie a little length of string to the loop that connects to the horn. Glue that leader to the outside of the fuse so the pull string is always attached and retrievable.

The new and improved spring is first folded over in the middle and then the ends are bent 90 degrees opposing. Now all spring forces are on the centerline. A picture would be really good here. :-)

Bruce
got2soar is offline Find More Posts by got2soar
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Jul 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2soar View Post
The new and improved spring is first folded over in the middle and then the ends are bent 90 degrees opposing. Now all spring forces are on the centerline. A picture would be really good here. :-)

Bruce
I found pictures of such a spring (the pictures are form the Helios of Kristof).

Bas

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=374
Bas B is offline Find More Posts by Bas B
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:08 AM
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2soar View Post
Eric, you can tie a little length of string to the loop that connects to the horn. Glue that leader to the outside of the fuse so the pull string is always attached and retrievable.

Bruce
Cool,... that will work just fine, thanks Bruce.

Edit, added photo of mine,
I had to leave the old tubes behind, the elevator is flat aginst the stab when it's resting... I guess this is fine, has lot's of power this way. How much is too much?

Eric
Last edited by NCDLG; Oct 27, 2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: photo of spring...beat this thing to death!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
That spring is SOOOO NICE !! No more twisted horizontals.

Luap
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:27 AM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
When I read the description of that spring I thought it described something like a goal post. Here are a couple pics of another shape to eliminate elevator twist. This would essentially be two springs, so either a thinner wire should be used, or a milder bend.

Shawn
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:14 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2005
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDLG View Post
Cool,... that will work just fine, thanks Bruce.

Edit, added photo of mine,
I had to leave the old tubes behind, the elevator is flat aginst the stab when it's resting... I guess this is fine, has lot's of power this way. How much is too much?

Eric
If the double folded springs shuld be used the length needs to be adjusted, in the wrong direction. If your servo manage to pull the string it's OK but be aware to not get poor response on the elevator.

Regards
Mattias
Oystmyr is offline Find More Posts by Oystmyr
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystmyr View Post
If the double folded springs shuld be used the length needs to be adjusted, in the wrong direction. If your servo manage to pull the string it's OK but be aware to not get poor response on the elevator.

Regards
Mattias
Concerned I'd be loading the servo to much,
I changed it to a single folded spring after reading this.

Really incredible how much power you can get with the spring in this configuration.

Thank you for the feedback Mattias!
Eric Lanning
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:07 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Well sorry I have not posted today, I have sad news. I got off work today and was working on the wing and things were going well then my wife got home and the dogs lost control. My 100 pound Bloodahoula freaked out and ran across the room and snapped the wing in my hands. I have not been that pissed in a looooooooong time. I guess things happen not a lot I can do about it. I will return when I can afford to pay for a new wing.

Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:11 PM
Lover of fast slope gliders!
United States, AZ, Goodyear
Joined Apr 2004
549 Posts
Ugh......... I feel the pain from here.
glasairIII is offline Find More Posts by glasairIII
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:12 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
I can't stop crying. I was very excited about this plane and wanted to finish it before BSOAZ. SECRET WEAPON!!!!!!! AZ thing....
Donnie
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:17 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,029 Posts
damn... sorry to hear about that Donnie. nothing to describe that sick feeling...
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:22 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
damn... sorry to hear about that Donnie. nothing to describe that sick feeling...
Thanks Thomas.