HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:38 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
OK guys, I finally got time to put together my Polaris. I know this thread mentions something crazy like "Rudderless DLG" or some such nonsense, but I thought you'd all be interested to know that I maidened my Rudderful Polaris yesterday at the TPG Encinitas Field. Mine is the +/- 30degree spread tow version, and weighs 9.2oz. latterally ballanced, and with the added rudder servo.

Impressions:

Great Handling. As you would expect with that humongous fin, stiff fuselage and perfect proportions, the Polaris handles really well. I have some tweaking to do on my program to improve the full-flap landing approach manuevering, but having the rudder really makes this flight regime sweet.

Very solid feel. Even as I was putting this together it was apparent how solid this glider felt. Especially since this is the light version. In fact it feels so solid that I think I have to keep reminding myself that care should be taken if launching during windy conditions. Wind up and release is clean, comfortable, and efficient.

Launch: I flew yesterday in about a 5 knot breeze, and have been a little out of practice in DLG launching. So, what I estimate to be about an 85% power launch, with a fairly aggressive rotation after release sent the Polaris up vertically with a very satisfying, but subdued woosh. Subjective analysis is that the launch is very competitive to my CX2's

More flying to come, but so far, this glider seems very nice, and since mine has a rudder, it is just that much nicer.

Thanks Jonas and Jonas, you guys have done very well indeed.

Happy Holidays to everyone. Less than two weeks of shopping time left.

Cheers,

Mike Smith
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:44 AM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Man seems like the Polaris is picking up steam. I am still very impressed with mine and hope to have a second very soon.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:03 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
What Donnie said +1

I'd like to see inside that fuse Mike. I know we have lots of room for the additional servo, I just haven't seen it. Pictures, Pictures!!!

Have fun with it!

Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:10 AM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
OK guys, I finally got time to put together my Polaris. I know this thread mentions something crazy like "Rudderless DLG" or some such nonsense, but I thought you'd all be interested to know that I maidened my Rudderful Polaris yesterday at the TPG Encinitas Field. Mine is the +/- 30degree spread tow version, and weighs 9.2oz. latterally ballanced, and with the added rudder servo.

Impressions:

Great Handling. As you would expect with that humongous fin, stiff fuselage and perfect proportions, the Polaris handles really well. I have some tweaking to do on my program to improve the full-flap landing approach manuevering, but having the rudder really makes this flight regime sweet.

Very solid feel. Even as I was putting this together it was apparent how solid this glider felt. Especially since this is the light version. In fact it feels so solid that I think I have to keep reminding myself that care should be taken if launching during windy conditions. Wind up and release is clean, comfortable, and efficient.

Launch: I flew yesterday in about a 5 knot breeze, and have been a little out of practice in DLG launching. So, what I estimate to be about an 85% power launch, with a fairly aggressive rotation after release sent the Polaris up vertically with a very satisfying, but subdued woosh. Subjective analysis is that the launch is very competitive to my CX2's

More flying to come, but so far, this glider seems very nice, and since mine has a rudder, it is just that much nicer.

Thanks Jonas and Jonas, you guys have done very well indeed.

Happy Holidays to everyone. Less than two weeks of shopping time left.

Cheers,

Mike Smith
Rudders are for ******, it's a joke. I may build my next one with a rudder you never know.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Danmark, Sjælland, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
401 Posts
How good is it, compared to the TwisterII.
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:18 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Never flown a twisterII, but have seen many fly. It is every bit as good as a TII from the standpoint of non-casual observer.

Mike
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:20 AM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
Mike,

Where did you put your hingeline for the rudder? Any pictures of gear install?

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:25 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Donnie's done quite well with a twister II and a Polaris. I suspect he is waiting to fly the Polaris more in various conditions before giving us a full report.
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:27 AM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDLG View Post
What Donnie said +1

I'd like to see inside that fuse Mike. I know we have lots of room for the additional servo, I just haven't seen it. Pictures, Pictures!!!

Have fun with it!

Eric

Plenty of room for another servo! I have not felt the need for a rudder yet. But I'm not against it I'm giving it a few months to truly learn the plane.

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Håkan Nate Sjöberg
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Göteborg
Joined Jan 2004
64 Posts
Quote:
I know this thread mentions something crazy like "Rudderless DLG" or some such nonsense, but I thought you'd all be interested to know that I maidened my Rudderful Polaris yesterday at the TPG Encinitas Field. Mine is the +/- 30degree spread tow version, and weighs 9.2oz. latterally ballanced, and with the added rudder servo.

Mike, it's totally okay to use training wheels!!
isobar is offline Find More Posts by isobar
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:42 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isobar View Post
Mike, it's totally okay to use training wheels!!
Ah, I see. If you are only using the rudder as "training wheels" you may miss the nuanced essence of clean coordinated flight.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:44 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,355 Posts
Hugh, does that receiver say "Rectum, ARGGG" on it? The pics kinda fuzzy! Lol. J/K

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Hugh, does that receiver say "Rectum, ARGGG" on it? The pics kinda fuzzy! Lol. J/K

Charlie
As much as I like poking fun at myself.... That was a good one! Fixed it for ya!

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:20 PM
Jens Hoffmann
Danmark, Sjælland, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
401 Posts
Quote:
Never flown a twisterII, but have seen many fly. It is every bit as good as a TII from the standpoint of non-casual observer.

Mike
I'll look forward to that, Hopefully pilots that fly both can tell the big difference.
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:27 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,993 Posts
Rotflol

Nicely done Hugh. That is a riot!

Classic.

John
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is this guy double jointed?