HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:56 PM
Beijing
Joined Jul 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
Done! It came in at 9.6oz with the CG at 67mm which is my starting point. I will post more about the build process later. I should be able to get out tomorrow for the maiden. Sorry for the crappy picture.

HUGH
This looks so beautiful, can't wait to receive mine, thanks for sharing.

THOMAS
Thomas Wang is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Wang
Last edited by Thomas Wang; Nov 18, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:24 PM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Well my maiden was uneventful, which is a GREAT thing!

Hookin up with the resident Eagle.

Steigeisen Peg (checked out Clay's and liked it)

Nathalie helped me out with the pre flight range check. I did a last once over then gave it a hand toss. The elevator was about 6 beeps off and that was it. Let the launching begin!

The first few launches were at about 30% just to see if there were any bad habits. While slowly dialing the launch preset with each launch I was increasing the intensity. I did a few dive tests and all was well in CG land(for now). After about 15 or so launches I decided to throw a hard one. The first thing I thought was "HOLY F" then I heard Nathalie say "WOW, is that thing gonna stop going up?!"... The next few throws were noticeably higher than what I was used to. It was so weird that I pulled out my Blaster 3 to do some back to back launches and yes it launches higher by a good bit.

In flight the only thing I can say right now is its slippery in the air. Having said that I had it in thermal mode(5mm down on the flaps) and it was at home just slowly moving about. I raised the flaps back up to speed mode and it was off. Very impressive. Coming in for a catch was very controlled with the flaps. I even had to back them off a little.

One last thing . I ended up taking more weight out of the plane before flying today. I moved all the wires and receiver as far forward as possible which allowed me to remove some nose weight while still maintaining a 67mm cg. From the nose back I have the Tungsten weight,battery,all extra wire on top of the battery,PLD BEC, elevator servo, and the receiver is on top of the servo/PLD BEC. All the wires from the wing and switch jack run down the right side of the fuse.

Its weird when you look in the hatch. It looks bare

As it sits it is just a bit under 9.5oz. I think I will ballast it up tomorrow. While it is nice to feel when you pick it up I was getting tossed around by the wind today. When I fly my blaster at this weight I keep it up wind because it might not come back.... The polaris had no problem cutting through the wind to come back and even passed me with ease!
I have much to learn with this plane! Will be a good time

HUGH

Sorry but I have to give My Blaster some love in this post as well.
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:29 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,675 Posts
Eldorado is nice can't wait
rcgeorge is online now Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:03 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Eldorado is nice can't wait
We are waiting for you, George

Hugh, I am glad you had a good maiden. Saturday, we will take both our Polaris out for a real spin
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,045 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Hugh. I hope you called the Long Beach Airport Tower for clearance before giving that thing a hard launch

Nice week before Thanksgiving weather , eh!

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:44 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
989 Posts
The first Polaris 'Standard' with multilayer UD carbon fabric in U.S.!

Hugh,

Nice to hear your maiden went well! Your installation looks like a schoolbook example, Tidy and clean. Good work! I especially like the small fillet around your peg. Thats the way to distribute loads to the hardpooint in the wing and onto the skins!

For the rest of you guys lurking here, Hugh got the latest and greatest of the evolution in DLG manufacturing and the latest version of Polaris.

His Polaris utilizes multilayer UD carbon as skin fabric. This special layup enables a super stiff wing at a low weight, e.g. Hugh's ~270 g Polaris. It will be used as our 'standard' layup for the coming year.

The stiffness enables higher throws and better control in turnaround tasks. The wing is strong enough for any thrower at AUW of 400g, 14,1 oz and above.

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Last edited by oakman7004; Nov 18, 2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:44 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post
Hugh,

Nice to hear your maiden went well! Your installation looks like a schoolbook example, Tidy and clean. Good work! I especially like the small fillet around your peg. Thats the way to distribute loads to the hardpooint in the wing and onto the skins!

For the rest of you guys lurking here, Hugh got the latest and greatest of the evolution in DLG manufacturing and the latest version of Polaris.

His Polaris utilizes multilayer UD carbon as skin fabric. This special layup enables a super stiff wing at a low weight, e.g. Hugh's ~270 g Polaris. It will be used as our 'standard' layup for the coming year.

The stiffness enables higher throws and better control in turnaround tasks. The wing is strong enough for any thrower at AUW of 400g, 14,1 oz and above.

/Jonas Ekman
It looks great! Servos molded in on that one?
I need to talk to Bruce to see when the lite one on will arrive!
Hugh's @270g-400g would cover most conditions. Nice job MMT.

Eric ( Polaris Lurker )
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:02 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,173 Posts
Congrats on the uneventful maiden, Hugh! That's how we like 'em.
That's almost what I said when I launched it, too. Probably another four letter word but close enough. lol.
Good job MMT.
Good luck with it!

Soar!
Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
Well my maiden was uneventful, which is a GREAT thing!

Hookin up with the resident Eagle.

Steigeisen Peg (checked out Clay's and liked it)

Nathalie helped me out with the pre flight range check. I did a last once over then gave it a hand toss. The elevator was about 6 beeps off and that was it. Let the launching begin!

The first few launches were at about 30% just to see if there were any bad habits. While slowly dialing the launch preset with each launch I was increasing the intensity. I did a few dive tests and all was well in CG land(for now). After about 15 or so launches I decided to throw a hard one. The first thing I thought was "HOLY F" then I heard Nathalie say "WOW, is that thing gonna stop going up?!"... The next few throws were noticeably higher than what I was used to. It was so weird that I pulled out my Blaster 3 to do some back to back launches and yes it launches higher by a good bit.

In flight the only thing I can say right now is its slippery in the air. Having said that I had it in thermal mode(5mm down on the flaps) and it was at home just slowly moving about. I raised the flaps back up to speed mode and it was off. Very impressive. Coming in for a catch was very controlled with the flaps. I even had to back them off a little.

One last thing . I ended up taking more weight out of the plane before flying today. I moved all the wires and receiver as far forward as possible which allowed me to remove some nose weight while still maintaining a 67mm cg. From the nose back I have the Tungsten weight,battery,all extra wire on top of the battery,PLD BEC, elevator servo, and the receiver is on top of the servo/PLD BEC. All the wires from the wing and switch jack run down the right side of the fuse.

Its weird when you look in the hatch. It looks bare

As it sits it is just a bit under 9.5oz. I think I will ballast it up tomorrow. While it is nice to feel when you pick it up I was getting tossed around by the wind today. When I fly my blaster at this weight I keep it up wind because it might not come back.... The polaris had no problem cutting through the wind to come back and even passed me with ease!
I have much to learn with this plane! Will be a good time

HUGH

Sorry but I have to give My Blaster some love in this post as well.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
Looking for Polaris launch pegs, if you aren't using them please send them to me.
I really like them.

Eric Lanning
6707 Fox trail
Mebane NC

Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,484 Posts
Where do you buy a Polaris from ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
Where do you buy a Polaris from ?
got2soar, his screen name here on groups
Bruce Davidson is the man!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:15 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Wow, nice going there - love the pictures... and wow, I even had 3 seconds of fame there with the PLD-BAC/BEC

Someone want to send me a nice DLG
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:51 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Polaris DLG launch (3 min 13 sec)

This is my first ever video, thought it should be of something cool.
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:53 PM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone View Post
http://youtu.be/VNTutKUq3Is

This is my first ever video, thought it should be of something cool.
Hey Donnie - Youtube tells me it's private - can you make it public?

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Awww... still private
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD