Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:15 AM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Wow, nice shop isobar!
I'd like to think there are great piles of balsa, foam, and wrecked glider parts just off camera, that were moved just for the photo. I'm sure I'd be wrong though.

Shawn
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:56 AM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Wee View Post
Just a small question to Polaris builders:

Is the tape covering the hinge line gap just taped to the non moving part of the wing?

According to Dbones photos of his Polaris wing he doesn't have tape at all? Or have I just missed it?

I am doing another dlg and started thinking about that tape. Is it needed at all or would it be enough that it covers the gap when the ailerons are at neutral position?

The Polaris looks great, I am tempted to order one. Sweden isn't that far off, when you live in Finland!

Tommy
I removed the tape on mine then replaced it. Hinge tape is a must on this place.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:47 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDLG View Post
I'm in, can we carpool to the alps...?
Nice Polaris, 273grams... of hotness.
If someone has a jet and money for fuel I have a place we can crash at slope side...

Otherwise there's always WV!

Any photos of the hinge gap sealing tape and installation? Is it just taped to the top of the wing forward of the hinge line? I recall it being more sophisticated than that, but didn't have a chance to snap some photos.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:07 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,067 Posts
You can't just run a piece of tape over the gap, or it will stick to the surfaces on both sides of the gap. So you make the back half of the tape not sticky by dusting it with talc powder, running a piece of cassette tape down the length, or my personal favorite of just putting two pieces of transparent tape together sticky side to sticky side overlapping each other 1/2 way. The sticky part then sticks to the wing in front of the aileron hinge line, and the non-sticky part overlaps the gap and a bit onto the aileron. On some hollow molded wings you can actually 'tuck' the non-sticky part of the seal down into the hinge line. It's tough to get pictures because the transparent tape doesn't show up well. But I've seen pics in other threads here that show it with the cassette tape method.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:07 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
The plane comes with hinge tape installed from MMT. But if you need more info I can help out when I get off work tonight.
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Oct 2009
146 Posts
Thanks for the info.

The reason I asked my question is that the plane I am building does have the tape installed. It is fixed to the aileron and goes inside the fixed part (like in an F3J/F3B plane) BUT makes awful noice doing it (it is crushed as the aileron goes up) AND it pops out a bit too early (when using aileron as a brake). It actually limits the brake movement because of that.

I think I will modify it, to be like the ones in Polaris. Thanks for help.
Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Tommy
Tommy Wee is offline Find More Posts by Tommy Wee
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:53 PM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
989 Posts
[QUOTE=like.2.fly;19872331]You can't just run a piece of tape over the gap, or it will stick to the surfaces on both sides of the gap. So you make the back half of the tape not sticky by dusting it with talc powder, running a piece of cassette tape down the length, or my personal favorite of just putting two pieces of transparent tape together sticky side to sticky side overlapping each other 1/2 way. The sticky part then sticks to the wing in front of the aileron hinge line, and the non-sticky part overlaps the gap and a bit onto the aileron. SNIP [QUOTE]

The Polaris have the cassette tape version. with the old Abba songs! Mine do have 'take a chance on me' and I did in the WC!

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Last edited by oakman7004; Nov 14, 2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:27 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
I have a general technique question, but related to the Polaris since the Polaris is designed as top driveÖ How do you align and drill the hole (in the wing) for the top drive control rod. Iíve done this once before on another solid core foam wing, and totally missed, but my building skills admittedly suck .

And then, do you bend the control rod while it is in the wing? L-bends on both sides? Z-bend? If so how do you get good bends in the wire in the wing? Obviously you can bend one side outside the wing but what about the other side? You donít make the hole big enough to fit the wire with bent end through or do you? Or clevis on one side? Or...?

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:28 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Oct 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post
The Polaris have the cassette tape version. with the old Abba songs! Mine do have 'take a chance on me' and I did in the WC!

/Jonas Ekman
OK. Thanks. I may also use Abba, 'winner takes it all' might be good

Tommy
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:30 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Oct 2009
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjue View Post
I have a general technique question, but related to the Polaris since the Polaris is designed as top driveÖ How do you align and drill the hole (in the wing) for the top drive control rod. Iíve done this once before on another solid core foam wing, and totally missed, but my building skills admittedly suck .

And then, do you bend the control rod while it is in the wing? L-bends on both sides? Z-bend? If so how do you get good bends in the wire in the wing? Obviously you can bend one side outside the wing but what about the other side? You donít make the hole big enough to fit the wire with bent end through or do you? Or clevis on one side? Or...?

Brian
Here is how the Swede (Oakman/Ekman) does the top drive, works well. Helped me, tack Jonas!:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353941

Tommy
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:42 PM
NorCal
Joined Nov 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Wee View Post
Here is how the Swede (Oakman/Ekman) does the top drive, works well. Helped me, tack Jonas!:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353941

Tommy
Thanks Tommy, but that is with a hollow molded wing which seems a bit easier to me, since you just need the exit hole, and you can adjust where you glue in your servo for a straight run. In a solid core wing, like the Polaris, you have a to drill a hole from the servo control horn to the exit in front of the Flapperon control horn. Or am I missing something in my thinking...?

Brian
bjue is offline Find More Posts by bjue
Last edited by bjue; Nov 14, 2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Edit: plus in a hollow wing, it's easier to pre-bend the push rod
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:54 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman7004 View Post

/Jonas Ekman
You guys are always coming up with some modification that is SOOO clever!
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,334 Posts
The Paul Naton wasy was to use a bend at the servo, pre bent before installing, & a soldered on clevis at the flaperon horn. He even ground down the top & bottom of the clevis flanges to make it a bit more streamlined.

By using the solder method, adjustment is very easy & is re-adjustable later.

The pushrod should be striaght, but I do not think the hole needs to support the pushrod, so it may be a bit off or overiszed.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:11 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
851 Posts
I use cassette tapes as well (don't know the songs though)
I tape the cassette tape over the gap at both ends and place the tape over it and on to the fixed part of the wing. I then trim it and itís done. can be done in a few minutes. The hardest thing was to find an old cassette player
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:41 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Thank you for sharing that method roydor.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky