HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:51 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
179 Posts
My own design...

hi, i'm realli into freeflight and i want to get some freeflight magazines, not books, and i cant find any except for the free flight quarterly. any advice would be gratefully accepted. Yesturday, i just finished the first plane i designed in my LONG life of just a little over a decade. It realli glides nice indoors, and flies nice too, but whenever i try it outside in a really small wind (1-2 km/h) it glides like a brick and flies like a car. is it because the wings are too big? thanks thanks.
p.s.-i know the tissue covering is a bad job
7homuz
7homuz is offline Find More Posts by 7homuz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:52 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
179 Posts
and the top
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:15 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Here is a link to a site that is primarily rubber ff oriented. Lots of good tips, techniques and good reading all around: http://www.smallflyingarts.com/
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 24, 2003, 01:25 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,530 Posts
Aside from specific club newsletters there just aren't any free flight only magazines.

Flying Models has about the best North American coverage of free flight. After that I've seen some very good coverage in a couple of the British mags Model Flyer and Aviation Modeller International. AMI recently incorporated Aeromodeller into it's covers so there's about 10 pages of free flight and control line in their coverage. MF is mostly RC but has good coverage of free flight scale and usually a sport type free flight model each month.

But since you obviously have a computer you have the world's best free flight resource at your fingertips. Check out the Free Flight Web Ring. THAT should keep you busy for a while...

http://www.flyingacesclub.net/volare/ffring.htm
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:31 AM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
179 Posts
Mike and BMatthews, thanks for your advice, really appreciated them. thanks again, 7homuz
Old Oct 03, 2003, 12:47 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,530 Posts
You're very welcome.

But I see that in Mike's and my speed to offer up the links we forgot to discuss your design and the problems you're finding with it.

First off the proportions look quite good actually. Not TOO much wing area by any means but your stab could be a little bit smaller but it's not that far off for a model with such a short tail moment. You've got yourself a very nice model there. Just a couple of things to spruce 'er up that I can think of.

There is a serious lack of dihedral. In windy weather that will be a problem as it won't want to come back to it's normal flight if it gets disturbed. For the next version you should double the amount you have there. Or perhaps you may want to use a flat center panel and raised tips. Putting the dihedral out at the tips with such a 3 panel wing makes the dihedral more effective because the angled panels are operating over a longer leverage arm by being farther from the center of gravity. With your design I'd suggest putting the dihedral joints at the 4th rib in from each tip, counting the tip rib as number one. And angle the tip up so it have more dihedral than what you have now but maybe not twice as much. The angle of the tip panels should be about 30 degrees.

And I like the simple boxed in fuselage with webs. That's pretty clever. You may want to tissue the belly and top for the next one to keep dirt off the motor and lower the drag that little bit.. Leave a big hole near the rear hook on the upper side so you can feed the rubber in and see what's going on.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 04, 2003, 12:27 AM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2003
179 Posts
Thanks BMatthews, I'll do another wing with about 3 inches dihedral at tips with centerpanel to the 4th rib from the tip as you suggested. I'll reduce 1 panel from the stab. and make the fuse about an inch longer. Thanks again, 7homuz