HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,449 Posts
Discussion
7 Billion people! Goat, you're gonna love this one.

Read, enjoy, debate. That number certainly presents some challenges. I just skimmed it at this point. I'll stop back with some comments when I've had a chance to give it a proper read.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44990504.../#.Tqg3WmEzByM
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:54 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I do love it. More people is better and a call to action is definitely in order...the call to cease screwing up their choices and interactions with undue interference, so they can together cooperate by choice to create wealth and true progress. There is nowhere in the world which suffers from 'too many people'. They all suffer from too much interference...in every case you find State planners trying to plan what they cannot plan.

They don't have resource problems or population problems...they have govt causing problems. Physical resources are *always* limited and the sole unlimited resource is the human mind....IF you let it work.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:19 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,449 Posts
I just skimmed the part where the "expert" was calling for us to stop redistributing wealth but to stop using fossil fuels too, among a lot of other things. I thought that was an interesting position that straddles your ideas. Like I said, I want to go back and reread it and maybe do some research on the subject.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:32 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I will do the same, sounds fair. the 'too many people' meme is such a common one this could bear a little more work on my part.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:42 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Another aspect to consider is that while population grows overall, places like Japan, Italy, etc. have such low reproductive rates that they will almost disappear if the trend continues. Why?
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,163 Posts
I'm glad to see acceptance of the concept of limiting factors, but I think they encompass more than just government interference.

Paul Colinvaux argues that children are more relatively more expensive for the affluent than for the poor. He also argues that people tend to have the number of children they feel they can afford. The past rise in population growth has been highest in poor countries and lower in developed countries, which does not contradict his thesis.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:44 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
I would hazard a guess that the Islamic countries (and factions within other nations) will continue to grow as the more wealthy Christian communites control birth rates - something to muse on ?
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:30 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
I'm glad to see acceptance of the concept of limiting factors, but I think they encompass more than just government interference.

Paul Colinvaux argues that children are more relatively more expensive for the affluent than for the poor. He also argues that people tend to have the number of children they feel they can afford. The past rise in population growth has been highest in poor countries and lower in developed countries, which does not contradict his thesis.
Of course here, we tend to reward reproduction of those who don't work.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,163 Posts
There was a mathmatical analysis many years back which showed that the most effective way to slow population growth was to lengthen generation time, that is, that women have their first child at an older age. There is a correlation between cultures where women are married at 12 to 15, and have few other options, and areas of most rapid population growth. In developed countries, women have other options, and tend to have their first child at an older age. I think this is less the case among our poor people, where women do not feel they have options other than bearing children.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:47 PM View Post
FrogChief
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:32 PM
'Merica!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
It's funny that for as "irrelevant" as goat is (portrayed), so many here spend so much effort trying to marginalize him. Only to wind up with egg on their face most times.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Last edited by n00b-E; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:38 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,860 Posts
I ponder sometimes, then move along with change.
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rcjetpilot; Oct 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
147 Posts
I think that a major key in stopping population growth is sterilization. Of course we want to sterilize the "right" people.

By this I mean that one of the conditions of accepting governement aid such as WIC, welfare, housing etc is that the reicpient agrees to be surgically sterilized at taxpayer expense. Of course, children receiving aid should be sterilized since, statistically, they are very likely to grow up and use it.

The small cost of the surgery will save huge amounts of money in the long run siince the taxpayers won't be supporting any more offspring from the recipient.

Eventually, welfare will be mostly wiped out.

Of course, anyone not wanting to get sterilized can figure out a way to make it without the governments help.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:57 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
You should be earning a salary for the time and effort you put in here...

Honestly though, are you cognizant of your irrelevance???

In the end, neither your, nor my lives are going to have an impact of any import on the way of the world... Why spend SO much time here bashing one's head against a wall for the slightest gain?!??!

If you want to make a real difference, assasinate someone...
What?
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:26 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjetpilot View Post
What?
I was clear. Want to make a difference; kill people, or starve them...

Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot couldn't be wrong eh?!?

Without joking though, all major change is accomplished through warfare/strife. For there to be a fundamental shift in America as we know it, we require a 2nd Civil War, that or another Great Depression; ie. anything that shakes up the system to it's core.

Besides that, nothing matters, neither political party, elections, news sound bites, etc.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)