SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
7 Posts
Looking for a little help...

I'm about to have a go at building one of these. It will be my first multi . I have been reading and researching trying to pick out an engine, battery, ESC, and prop combo. I have also been trying to use the multirotor eCalc to help out. I'm new to electric stuff so I might be confusing myself a bit. I was hoping someone could comment on what I am thinking about right now. I plan on flying FPV mainly and hopefully with a small digital camera on occasion as well. I tried to pick engines on the slightly bigger side so I can carry FPV equipment as well as a digital camera. That's my thinking anyways.

So how does this sound?

Engine:
Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV

ESC:
HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries

Battery:
Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 3S 25~50C

Props:
10x6 or 1147 (eCalc shows that the 1147 might work a bit better with my engines)
flyahawk is offline Find More Posts by flyahawk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
Hulk likes flying things
United States, IN, Kokomo
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
A quick search of the HK site reveals that your motors are b/o.
I am using some RC Timer motors that are very similar, on my Scorpion. They are these
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...0&productname=
They fly the heavy bird well.

BTW I gave up on running a 6 motor and the yaw characteristics of a 3 motor without a yaw mechanism was poor. I just made a bolt-on yaw mechanism for the tail and it works great.
Phalanx-0 is offline Find More Posts by Phalanx-0
Old May 08, 2012, 04:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Nov 2002
814 Posts
My replacement parts came today from hobby king and they are actually glass fiber and not the plastic that the original scorpion was made from that came from good luck buy,
This means they are a little bit thinner and don't fit quite right but I think it is going to be easy to add something to them to make them right and the parts are much stronger than the original,
I don't know if the scorpion from HK is a copy or just a new version but it is of much better quality much stronger and much cheaper I am thinking about replacing my original frame with a HK one when they get them back in stock as the good luck buy one is just to flimsy
Gaza07 is offline Find More Posts by Gaza07
Old May 09, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Nov 2005
7 Posts
Thanks for the link Phalanx-0. Glad to see those run it well, I might try those instead.

Yeah I noticed they were on back order. But so is the frame (and half the other parts I want), I figured I would just wait.

So with your tri set up are you running the same engines? So just curious why did you give up on the 6? Did it not fly well?
Old May 09, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hulk likes flying things
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
No, after installing the other 3 motors pointing downward, I decided that I would be buying alot of props. All that it takes is for the copter to tilt backwards or to either side and pop another prop is gone, if you fly off of a hard surface.. I fly off of grass, and the props would have been in the grass
More motors would mean less flight time on the batteries.
Yes same engines. I did quite a bit of FFF today and they flew it great. I would suggest a 450 size heli canopy to help in orientation. They need just a little bit of velcro in critical areas and they will stay put.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Nov 2005
7 Posts
Good point about the blades... being my first multi I suppose I should buy a few extra! I was already planning on putting some longer legs on it to give room for an eventual camera underneath.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,142 Posts
The advantage of the Y6 over a Y3 is that if a motor, esc, or propeller fails, the machine will still fly enough to get it to the ground intact. This is important especially if you are carrying a camera. I have been flying mine off grass as a Y6 with no problems with the bottom set of propellers.
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old May 11, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
7 Posts
The redundancy is a big reason I want eh Y6. I will be flying with a camera and all the fpv gear. It would be nice for that stuff to not get totaled if an engine craps out.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hulk likes flying things
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
Depends on your needs, for sport flying, 6 motors are overkill.

BTW just one motor failing would be unusual. Most of my failures have been loss of power to the f/c. No redundancy for that.
Old May 31, 2012, 03:34 AM
my wife supports my hobby
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
my y650 scorpion with kk board maiden flight

here's the video
http://youtu.be/O45G8rNeJg4
pnoy is offline Find More Posts by pnoy
Last edited by pnoy; Jun 02, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Nov 2005
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoy View Post
my y650 scorpion with kk board maiden flight

here's the video
http://youtu.be/rZq1XP8zOKU
Thank's for the video I just ordered one from Hobbyking going to move all my stuff over from the DJI550 to this. Seems like it's going to be a fun build.

Chet
Chad2323 is online now Find More Posts by Chad2323
Old May 31, 2012, 06:06 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,435 Posts
Did they revised the landing skid design? Yours look different than mine.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old May 31, 2012, 06:41 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,142 Posts
Looks different to mine too ... the newer frames are different material too I believe ... a rigid fiberglass instead of the nylon/plastic of the older ones ???
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:22 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
I received a Scorpion from GLB a few days ago. It's still the very flexible nylon material, not fiberglass. It does have the dual skids on the bottom of the LG though, like in pnoys picture. The machining is very decent and parts seem to fit together tightly. Also instead of paper covering the nylon parts (which I understand was hard to remove) it's now some thin clear plastic which comes off very easily (just peel).

I had also ordered extra motor mounts for the Y650 from HK, and those were cut from 2.1mm fiberglass, very stiff and much heavier than the nylon versions. If the whole HK frame is cut from that stuff, it must weigh a ton.

BTW I threw all the parts from the GLB y650 kit on the scales, including the arms and hardware pack: 357g/12.6oz. So less than the 410g advertized on the GLB site. Some of the parts I weighed still have the plastic film on them, but that doesn't weight much.

Haven't built mine, might sell it because I built my own Y6 frame while waiting for the GLB slow boat to deliver

Cheers,
-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:35 AM
my wife supports my hobby
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
when i received my scorpion frame kit it has 2 sets of landing skid ,,, one set is the single skid and the other set is the dual skid... i just bought it here on our local hobbyshop ...
pnoy is offline Find More Posts by pnoy