HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:10 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
614 Posts
Hi Chuck,

I have just ordered the new DJI NAZA Control board and the GPS system that goes with it. When these items arrive I will then be able to really get going on the project.

It took me a while to save up the money for the NAZA system, so that sorta slowed me down. I will start posting pictures as I move a long with the project.

Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
I was hoping to get some opinions on a build that I am about to pull the trigger on. I was looking for a fold-able multi that could hoist a respectable amount, have a good loiter time, stab a go pro, do a hard mount fpv and not break the bank ... not too much of a tall order.

Here's the wishlist from hobbyking:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ustomer=894145

Couple extra things in there, I am having one heck of a hard time deciding on the servos for the gimbal, definitely willing to take suggestions on those.

eCalc figurings:
BonusNachos is offline Find More Posts by BonusNachos
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:37 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonusNachos View Post
I was hoping to get some opinions on a build that I am about to pull the trigger on. I was looking for a fold-able multi that could hoist a respectable amount, have a good loiter time, stab a go pro, do a hard mount fpv and not break the bank ... not too much of a tall order.

Couple extra things in there, I am having one heck of a hard time deciding on the servos for the gimbal, definitely willing to take suggestions on those.

eCalc figurings:
I have very similar motors with 10x4.5 props and I don't get 15 mins with a 5000 mah 3s. Closer to 10-12. I should try some 12" props to see if I can get more up time.
Tunderslimer is offline Find More Posts by Tunderslimer
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:51 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonusNachos View Post

eCalc figurings:
The Y6 looses a fair amount of efficiency compared with a conventional hexa, and so has shorter flight times. The camera gimbal for the scorpion is reasonable, even with analogue servos. It is helped by "pre-loading" it with some rubber bands to reduce the slop in the mechanism.

The low kV motors selected will work okay, but on 3 cell I would tend to go a little higher kV and smaller propellers. The large 12" propellers tend to be easier to damage and more prone to failing in the "cheaper" price propellers. As for propellers, the gemfans at hobbyking seem to work well, but do require careful balancing.
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:00 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
614 Posts
Question for you guys about the prop orientation?

I have a photo showing thew motor rotation on the Scorpion, but I am not sure as to the type of prop to use on each motor! Regular or Reversed?

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you very much.

Rob
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:25 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
614 Posts
Well I am finally getting back to my Y650 Scorpion building. Here are a few pictures of the wiring process and the decisions as to were to put everything!

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 224
Size: 231.9 KB
Description: Name: 002.jpg
Views: 227
Size: 301.9 KB
Description:

Name: 003.jpg
Views: 231
Size: 263.3 KB
Description:

Sure glad I like to solder! I am taking a lot of ideas from what you guys have done a head of me, and it sure does help out!

Rob
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:40 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
307 Posts
I have this frame on its way from HobbyKing, with the intention of converting it into a "Sweptback V-tail", like my original design. You can check it out here (SBV-Tail).

I will also be removing the rear G-10 tail/stinger section. I don't really care for the look of the scorpion tail personally, even in its original Y6 format. I guess the novelty of it just doesn't strike me.

The thing that does appeal to me about this frame, is its stylish fuselage-type core, I think it will complement my SBV-Tail design very well. Perhaps I can also find a nice sleek heli canopy that fits well over the nose, to complete the futuristic scale look. I have one particular canopy in mind, but I will have to check the fit when my frame arrives.
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:44 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
Question for you guys about the prop orientation?

I have a photo showing thew motor rotation on the Scorpion, but I am not sure as to the type of prop to use on each motor! Regular or Reversed?

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you very much.

Rob
Hey Rob,
The motor rotation is always illustrated as viewed from above. All propellers should have the writing on them facing the sky. Picture the propeller as a corkscrew or a thread. It needs to be so that when it is turning in the indicated direction it is biting the air and winding upwards toward the sky. Swap your motor wires around until the rotation matches what you need.
Nornal propellers go anticlockwise and reverse propellers go clockwise.

Hope this all makes sense.
Mark
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:48 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Quote:
Well I am finally getting back to my Y650 Scorpion building. Here are a few pictures of the wiring process and the decisions as to were to put everything!

Attachment 5445786 Attachment 5445788

Attachment 5445789

Sure glad I like to solder! I am taking a lot of ideas from what you guys have done a head of me, and it sure does help out!

Rob
It's quite a challenge to get everything hooked up, working the right way, and tucked away neatly. I built a mini octocopter (8 rotor) recently. Getting all the wiring sorted is something I don't want to do again in a hurry ...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:04 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
614 Posts
Mark,

Thank you for the explanation on the proper prop set up on the Y6! I totally get it now!

8 Motors! WOW! That will be one fun wiring project! I hope you keep us all posted on this new project of yours!

A little off subject, but has the wild fire situation there been brought under control? The news here has been that they have been very distructive, but they seem to be getting the upper hand on containment! Sure hope so!

Rob
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:12 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Quote:
Mark,

Thank you for the explanation on the proper prop set up on the Y6! I totally get it now!

8 Motors! WOW! That will be one fun wiring project! I hope you keep us all posted on this new project of yours!

A little off subject, but has the wild fire situation there been brought under control? The news here has been that they have been very distructive, but they seem to be getting the upper hand on containment! Sure hope so!

Rob
Hey Rob,
News does travel far and wide !! Yes the fires have been pretty destructive but at least with virtually no loss of life. Brings it home when I drove home the other day, and the smoke was so thick that the speed limit was pulled down to 1/4 of normal and people in one spot were being evacuated. I felt for those people as they were packing their belongings into cars, trucks, and trailers. The fire was moving towards their homes driven by gale force winds and sweltering temperatures. Fortunately the winds dropped and the weather cooled, allowing the firefighters to stop the progress of the fire.

I shelved the octocopter for now. It runs small motors and 3 blade 5x3 propellers. Motors are too close for the propellers so one motor faces up, next down, next up etc etc. Eventually got frustrated with it as the small motors kept failing. .... and no, an octo flies badly on 7 motors.

Mark
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:24 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
614 Posts
Mark,

Thanks for the up-date on your wild fire situation! Having been a Fireman for many years I can appreciate what they and you must be going through!

I will post some photos of my Scorpion build as I move along with the project. I most likely will have more questions as I move along with it. I am very glad that I did build the DJI 450 Quad with the NAZA system for my learning process with Multicopters! I am having a lot of fun learning how to control and fly this machine while building the Scorpion.

Take care!

Rob
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:00 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Quote:
Mark,

Thanks for the up-date on your wild fire situation! Having been a Fireman for many years I can appreciate what they and you must be going through!

I will post some photos of my Scorpion build as I move along with the project. I most likely will have more questions as I move along with it. I am very glad that I did build the DJI 450 Quad with the NAZA system for my learning process with Multicopters! I am having a lot of fun learning how to control and fly this machine while building the Scorpion.

Take care!

Rob
fpv is the next thing you need to try, and an absolute blast !!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:27 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
614 Posts
FPV! that would be great fun! Really can't afford it right now, and until I learn to fly like Baca and the rest of you guys I will need to steer clear of any really expensive equipment!

I do love building and flying these Multicopters, and I am learning so much in the process.
Thanks to you guys with the experience and expertise, and of course the willingness to share it certainly makes it that much more enjoyable!

Rob
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:06 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
614 Posts
OK! We are making a little head way on the Scorpion. Here are some photos of the motor installation. Today I worked on the ESC wiring.

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 212
Size: 286.0 KB
Description: Name: 002.jpg
Views: 171
Size: 236.9 KB
Description:

Name: 003.jpg
Views: 194
Size: 301.4 KB
Description:

I had to go into the NAZA software in order to get the correct motor rotations. More photos will be coming!