HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
Most motors have shafts that are too long. Here is what I do .... drill a hole in a piece of cardboard and push it onto the motor shaft (after removing the prop adapter, of course). This acts to stop any debris going into the motor. Next, use an angle grinder and cut off wheel and lop off the excess shaft, so that the prop adapter sits down onto the motor bell. Tidy up the burrs, and rough up the motor shaft with some coarse sandpaper. This helps avoid bent motor shafts, reduces vibration, and gives the collet prop adapters a good grip on the motor shafts. Angle grinder sounds brutal but it only takes a second and any heat generated is minimal. Just avoid any debris getting into the motor.
You sir, are a genius. I'm a really handy guy, but never in 100 years would I have thought to cut the shafts. Not for any reason in particular - I just thought that's the way they are. Since my gaming computer is broken, looks like I'm cutting shafts! Thanks Kaz!!
Tunderslimer is offline Find More Posts by Tunderslimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:21 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunderslimer View Post
You sir, are a genius. I'm a really handy guy, but never in 100 years would I have thought to cut the shafts. Not for any reason in particular - I just thought that's the way they are. Since my gaming computer is broken, looks like I'm cutting shafts! Thanks Kaz!!
Ha ha ... been called many things before, but sir and genius are not ones that spring to mind ... thanks for the compliment ...
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
scorpion

Has anyone tried this in a 3y configuration ??? How well does the 4y work ??
Tim_D is offline Find More Posts by Tim_D
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:27 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_D View Post
Has anyone tried this in a 3y configuration ??? How well does the 4y work ??
A Y3 would only work with this frame if you can work out a means of tilting the rear motor to give you yaw control. A Y4 should work okay, though general comments are that Y4's have very poor yaw control. Many Y4's are being converted to V tail 4's.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:06 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
678 Posts
Chuck,
I am in the process of setting up my KK2.0 board on a Quadcopter. I am working on my Scorpion and will be using this same board on it. The problem I am having with the board on my Quad is it would not Arm unless the left and right Rudder were set 50% both ways. At 0 the board would not Arm!

I am also having problems getting the self leveling to work! I guess I will just keep at untill I get it.

Will the settings you have posted on your Y650 work for my Quad?

Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:51 PM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Hi Rob,

Are there any trims set on your transmitter that would cause the quad not to arm? With my Scorpion I have the rudder set to 0 on the receiver test screen and when I move the rudder stick left it goes to 100 and to the right it reads -100. I had no trim or subtrim set on the rudder channel in the transmitter when I started.

I would not try my settings for the Scorpion with a quad. The settings for a quad will probably be much lower. I think it has something to with the stability and mass of the Y650.

The self leveling setup is a tricky thing. You really have to spend time getting all axis level to prevent drift when activated. I also think that the code for self leveling has not been perfected yet. That is one of the features that the developer was not happy with yet. I have tried it, but did not notice much difference in flying or hovering on mine.

Chuck
ChuckAdams is offline Find More Posts by ChuckAdams
Last edited by ChuckAdams; Oct 30, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
678 Posts
Chuck,

I used your Y650 settings and it made all the difference in the world! The Quad now will hover (not to stable) and to a certain degree I do have Controled flight!
If I dampen you setting a little do you think it will improve the stability to a certain degree? I also removed the plug in my receiver from the Gear to the Aux. (flaps)
and now I can turn the self leveling on and off.

I am building the Scorpion and I have another KK2.0 which I will use following your suggested settings. I think with some more adjustments to your setting #'s on my Quad board, I may have a good flying Quad!

Would you advise me to use Expodential on my sticks to help dampen and soften the controls on the Quad and the Scorpion?

Thanks for all your help! I was almost ready to give it up!

Rob
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:57 PM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Hi Rob,

Glad to hear that things are getting better. I would try turning things down on the quad one at a time and seeing if it gets more stable.

I do use expo in he transmitter to make things less sensitive around stick center. I have three different expos set up right now so that I can switch between them until I figure out which one suits my flying style. So far they are at 30, 35, and 40.

Keep at it and it should keep getting better. Got my new batteries in last week and my charger went on the fritz. Got a new one today, now if the weather will improve I can get back to tuning it again.

Chuck
Last edited by ChuckAdams; Nov 01, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:01 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
678 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Well it's back to the drawing board for me as far as the Quad is concerned!
And it was just starting to shape up!!

Name: 002.jpg
Views: 154
Size: 202.0 KB
Description: Name: 001.jpg
Views: 205
Size: 220.0 KB
Description:

One metal pole in our whole park and I found it! New Frame and parts coming! I will learn this stuff one way or another! Just glade it was not my Y650 Scorpion.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:19 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
Hi Chuck,

Well it's back to the drawing board for me as far as the Quad is concerned!
And it was just starting to shape up!!

Attachment 5276266 Attachment 5276265

One metal pole in our whole park and I found it! New Frame and parts coming! I will learn this stuff one way or another! Just glade it was not my Y650 Scorpion.
Wow .. you must have given that pole a belting ... all part of the learning curve. Trees, poles, ground... all have a funny way of sneaking up on you at times.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:28 PM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Wow! The aluminium arms are bent. You must have really hit that pole hard.

Took my Scorpuon to our flying club's indoor track today. It really drew a crowd. The weather is supposed to be good this weekend. Will try to get some video to upload.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:19 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
678 Posts
Chuck,

Yes I sure did not see that one coming until it was to late! We will recover, which I have! I now have DJI F-450 Frame and I will start over! I am jus very happy it was not my Y650 Scorpion. I also purchased 2 of the NAZA Control Boards. One for the Quad and the other for the Scorpion.

I have heard great things about that board! We will see!

Rob
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:44 PM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Rob,

One of the guys at my flying club has the Naza Board and has expanded it with the GPS Module. It is a really nice unit, but much more expensive than the KK2.0 Board.

I think you will be happy with it.

Chuck
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:17 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
678 Posts
Chuck,

Yes it is more expensive, but everything I have heard about has been good. I have just started the to do the set up and I am having a few problems getting it done! I am sure I just need to follow the instructions a little better and then it most likely will fall into place. I think it will make a great board for the Scorpion!

Rob
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
678 Posts
Question,

Are any of you guys using Expo. with your Scorpions or Multicopters? Do you think it would help so you not over controlling? I guess the best thing is just to get them fine tuned to the point were you don't need to over re-act to make corrections.

Thanks for your input