HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:03 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
No problem Rob,
Just remember everyone has different ways of doing thing, not necessarily right or wrong. Soldering makes it harder to swap things around but is less likely to be a point of failure.
Goodluckbuy can be very slow with shipping but is very cheap. Timecops site, abusemark, is VERY fast with shipping, fair prices, and he also has other nice goodies (flashed esc's, etc)
Mark
This is the distribution board from store.jdrones.com:
http://store.jdrones.com/product_p/hexapdpcb1.htm

Looks like this installed:
Tunderslimer is offline Find More Posts by Tunderslimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:45 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
Thanks for the information on the Power Board! Now I am confused
Do I use a power board or the wire harness type power hook up??!

Well more research, but that's what makes this hobby so much fun!
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:43 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
A little bit of information for you guys as a possible supplier of your Multicopter stuff! I have used them for fixed wing items, and I am about to purchase my motors and ESC's from him for my Scorpion.

Web site: www.rcdude.com

He builds and flies Multicopters. He is a great source of information. What like about him most is his GREAT SERVICE!

Rob
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:51 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Does anyone with a Scorpion have a shot with a camera mounted on it somewhere? Mine's down waiting for some props and shafts, and want to think about ideas for putting my gopro on it some day. Not for anything serious, just for fun for me.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Aug 2004
2,061 Posts
This mount is made for the Scorpion Y6, and slides on with no mods. Just move the battery back a little to compensate for the weight near the front. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...era_Mount.html
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:53 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
Thunderslimer,

Your waiting for props and shafts! Does that mean your Scorpion has crashed? I hope I am reading it wrong!

Rob
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
Thunderslimer,

Your waiting for props and shafts! Does that mean your Scorpion has crashed? I hope I am reading it wrong!

Rob
LOL... yes. That's the only damage though. I only had four spare props... I ordered 48 more. And six shafts. It'll fly with bent shafts... the vibration seems to mess with the flight control board though, gets all twitchy. I should have the parts today! It'll be back in the air soon! Also ordered the camera gimbal for it that Kaz talked about.

Very tricky bird to fly indeed. But TONS of fun. I'm glad it's challenging, if things are easy I get bored quickly. This will keep me interested for a long time.

I also ordered a quad frame to play with.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Aug 2004
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunderslimer View Post
LOL... yes. That's the only damage though. I only had four spare props... I ordered 48 more. And six shafts. It'll fly with bent shafts... the vibration seems to mess with the flight control board though, gets all twitchy. I should have the parts today! It'll be back in the air soon! Also ordered the camera gimbal for it that Kaz talked about.

Very tricky bird to fly indeed. But TONS of fun. I'm glad it's challenging, if things are easy I get bored quickly. This will keep me interested for a long time.

I also ordered a quad frame to play with.
Flying these things is a challenge. For a good "toy" the requirements are that it be difficult enough to keep your interest and feel rewarded with small steps of success, but not so difficult that you get frustrated and give up. I have recently started flying a quad fpv, and actually finding it easier than line of sight. Gone are the issues of orientation, and "being in the quad" it is easier to judge bank angles and fly smooth coordinated high speed turns. Glad that I learned to be reasonable competent flying line of sight first though.

Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
I have started my Y650 Scorpion build! I am doing a little custom painting work on my frame before I start the actual construction.

Name: 009.jpg
Views: 191
Size: 163.6 KB
Description: Name: 008.jpg
Views: 283
Size: 165.0 KB
Description:

As a side line I also constructed a way to tether the Scorpion and my Quadcopter to set up my KK2 board. There is a Youtube out showing how the tether works and I will try to link it up and put it on this blog.

Thunderslimer, really sorry about your mishap, but I am sure you will be at it again!

Rob
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
Here is the link to that Youtube that I referenced above:

KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board with PCB Micro-Quad

I hope this works for you guys. I am just learning how to add photos to the blog, and I do have more to learn.

Rob
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Y650 by ChopperChuck

Here are a few pictures of the Y650 that I just finished and a list of components that I used.

Components

Frame: Scorpion Y650
Motors: Turnigy D2830-11 1100KV
ESC: Hobby King 30A UBEC (flashed with SimonK firmware)
Controller: KK2.0
Props: APC 10x4.7 sf (3 Regular, 3 Pusher Props)
Receiver: Spektrum AR6100e
Battery: Nano-Tech 3s 4400 mAh 65-130C

Flies as smooth as a Coaxial Helicopter...
ChuckAdams is offline Find More Posts by ChuckAdams
Last edited by ChuckAdams; Nov 01, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
ChuckAdams,

That is one GREAT looking Scorpion! WOW! Nice job!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
ChuckAdams,

Your wiring is so clean and well organized! It's obvious you were able to run the ESC's and motor wires through the alum. arms. Installing 6 ESC's in the frame body had to be well engineered as well!

If you have any photos of your build, it would sure be great to see them!

Great job!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
ChuckAdams,

Your wiring is so clean and well organized! It's obvious you were able to run the ESC's and motor wires through the alum. arms. Installing 6 ESC's in the frame body had to be well engineered as well!

If you have any photos of your build, it would sure be great to see them!

Great job!
Hi Rob,

Thanks.

I did run extensions off the motor and routed the wires through the arms. It was a challenge to get all of the ESCs squeezed in. I did a build thread on this site (http://www.multikopter.co.uk/forum/i...-build-thread/) if you are interested.

Chuck
ChuckAdams is offline Find More Posts by ChuckAdams
Last edited by ChuckAdams; Oct 14, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
602 Posts
ChuckAdams,

Thanks for the info. and your build blog information.