HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
The lower blades are working in the wash of the upper ones. There is an option with some flight controllers to run the lower motors at a little higher speed, making the y6 more efficient. Running higher pitch on the lower propellers has a similar effect. There has been lots of discussion about larger/smaller diameter, more pitch etc etc. I try to always keep in mind though the effect that the loss of one motor will have, as that is one of the reasons for having a Y6 over a tricoper anyway.
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:42 PM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
99 Posts
[QUOTE=pnoy;22406809]here's the picture

Thanks for the pictures.
Looks like a totally different setup than what you get from Hobby King.
Will take what I have learned from yours and see if I can mod mine.

Great to have a Wife that supports your hobby.

Chuck
ChuckAdams is offline Find More Posts by ChuckAdams
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
99 Posts
Hobby King Y650

My Y650 arrived from Hobby King. Too bad it was missing the hardware package. No screws, washers, nuts, or posts. Been waiting for two weeks. Their reply is that they have informed the manufacturer. In one Email they said it could be up to three months before I see my parts. Just be patient.

May want to consider another source if you really want to build one. They have them in stock, but will not break into one to save a customer. Made me take pictures of everything in the order on a scale so that they could see that the hardware pack was actually missing on the order. Wouldn't just take my word for it.

Ordering the posts from GoodLuckBuy, along with an adaptor plate for the flight controller. On the topic of flight controllers. Got a KK2 form Hobby King. Flashed it with V1.2. Was feeling pretty good when the new Safe Screen came up after the flash, until I plugged in the ESC. The screen on the KK2 was blank. Back light came on, but no words.

Tried several things to get it to come back. Last thing to try was to reflash the board. The USBasp would not acknowledge the board. Seems like a few people on the KK 2 thread have had the same problem. Boxed it up and returned it to HK on Monday.

Maybe some day I will get the parts to build a Y650.

Chuck
ChuckAdams is offline Find More Posts by ChuckAdams
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
Darwin
Joined Aug 2002
683 Posts
Same here as screws nuts bolts spacers ect missing.
They said will look into it,(waiting waiting)
CrocEnd is offline Find More Posts by CrocEnd
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:30 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
556 Posts
Another question,

I jus received my Y650 Scorpion Frame, and I would like to know if it would fly ok on just 3 Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 2826-1240kv motors? Also I have a question on soldering all the connections on multicopters in general! Some say 60/40 rosin core, some say silver solder?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:27 PM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
Another question,

I jus received my Y650 Scorpion Frame, and I would like to know if it would fly ok on just 3 Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 2826-1240kv motors? Also I have a question on soldering all the connections on multicopters in general! Some say 60/40 rosin core, some say silver solder?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Rob
Hey Rob,
Those motors should work fine with an 8x4.7 or similar. You will need at least 4 motors as the frame has no yaw control pivot at the back. A y4 would work, with 2 motors at the back. You would also need a flight controller that will do a Y4 configuration ... not all will.
I tend to solder and heatshrink everything ... less fail points. I just use 60/40 resin core solder.

Mark
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
556 Posts
Hi Mark,

Good to hear from you! I did purchase a X525 V3 Quadcopter frame to build and learn to build and fly it before the Scorpion? I also purchased V2.1 Atmega168PA control board and also the Hobbyking KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board.

I guess now I need to start learning and to build the Quad, and then take on the Scorpion. Thanks again for all your input, and I think I will stay with 60/40 solder, I have had good success with it. I will keep in touch, because I am sure I will have lots of questions on the Scorpion! One more question about the best glue to use on the Scorpion frame work! What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:25 PM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
I didn't use any glue on mine ...figured I might need to get it apart to replace bits that I break. A few small cable ties holds it together mostly.
Questions are good ..that's how we learn ... mistakes are good too.
Be aware that all flight boards have bugs, quirks and issues .. just a case of working around them.
If it were super easy to set them up and fly them ... where is the challenge in that??
I see the clips on youtube ... quad hovering with the transmitter on the ground. Makes me think ...WOW ... then shorly after I think ... where is the fun in that?? I want to fly, not be a spectator.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Hi guys! First post!
I bought an Ar.Drone 2.0 a couple of months ago - and after spending 16 years of rc'ing on the ground that thing was like a hit of crack. I then decided it was time to build my own multirotor, and fell in love with the look of the scorpion Y6. I've ordered the airframe already, and also a flight controller. I'm kind of regretting my flight controller purchase already, since it only has 6 outputs - I think that means I can't connect a camera gimbal.
This is the fc: http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...5&productname=

For motors and esc's, I like things to be easy and in kits usually - since I'm (very much) new to this, I stumbled upon these kits:

http://store.jdrones.com/Hexa_Combo_p/cmbhexa01.htm

and for heavier loads:

http://store.jdrones.com/Hexa_Combo_p/cmbhexa02.htm

Will these be overkill?? I really like the idea of big props... I'd rather have the heavy kit with 12" rotors, but the question I can't seem to answer is "can my multirotor be overpowered?"

I'm going to be buying a dx8 locally - for the support/warranty bla bla bla. Anyway, and input on motors and flight controllers would be appreciated!
Tunderslimer is offline Find More Posts by Tunderslimer
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunderslimer View Post
Hi guys! First post!
I bought an Ar.Drone 2.0 a couple of months ago - and after spending 16 years of rc'ing on the ground that thing was like a hit of crack. I then decided it was time to build my own multirotor, and fell in love with the look of the scorpion Y6. I've ordered the airframe already, and also a flight controller. I'm kind of regretting my flight controller purchase already, since it only has 6 outputs - I think that means I can't connect a camera gimbal.
This is the fc: http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...5&productname=

For motors and esc's, I like things to be easy and in kits usually - since I'm (very much) new to this, I stumbled upon these kits:

http://store.jdrones.com/Hexa_Combo_p/cmbhexa01.htm

and for heavier loads:

http://store.jdrones.com/Hexa_Combo_p/cmbhexa02.htm

Will these be overkill?? I really like the idea of big props... I'd rather have the heavy kit with 12" rotors, but the question I can't seem to answer is "can my multirotor be overpowered?"

I'm going to be buying a dx8 locally - for the support/warranty bla bla bla. Anyway, and input on motors and flight controllers would be appreciated!
Big propellers at low rpm are nice as it keeps the noise level down. My only concern with 12"propellers is that the "cheaper" ones seem to be prone to failing mid flight, where the smaller 10" ones "seem"to be a little stronger. The first combo with 10" propellers would be my choice. The cost of these packages seem a little on the high side, but it depends also on the quality/price point of the motors. The flight controller would be fine, just look to adding a camera stabilise later either with a different board, or an additional board to control the camera.
Buy some extra propellers if you are learning. With a Y6 the lower propellers are not hard to damage.
Suggest becoming competent/confident before slinging a camera on the Y6, and a fixed camera mount will work fine for a while.

Mark
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:18 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
Big propellers at low rpm are nice as it keeps the noise level down. My only concern with 12"propellers is that the "cheaper" ones seem to be prone to failing mid flight, where the smaller 10" ones "seem"to be a little stronger. The first combo with 10" propellers would be my choice. The cost of these packages seem a little on the high side, but it depends also on the quality/price point of the motors. The flight controller would be fine, just look to adding a camera stabilise later either with a different board, or an additional board to control the camera.
Buy some extra propellers if you are learning. With a Y6 the lower propellers are not hard to damage.
Suggest becoming competent/confident before slinging a camera on the Y6, and a fixed camera mount will work fine for a while.

Mark
Thanks for your reply Mark!
Is your only concern with the larger rotors failure? I would like it to be quiet, but if you recommend the 10" I'm okay with that - since yours works AND it saves me $70.
Definitely not putting any valuables onboard until I can actually fly it, agreed. Also, if I do buy the kit - I'll buy a bunch of props too. Thanks for the suggestion
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:10 AM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunderslimer View Post
Thanks for your reply Mark!
Is your only concern with the larger rotors failure? I would like it to be quiet, but if you recommend the 10" I'm okay with that - since yours works AND it saves me $70.
Definitely not putting any valuables onboard until I can actually fly it, agreed. Also, if I do buy the kit - I'll buy a bunch of props too. Thanks for the suggestion
I would be inclined to say that the bigger motors would be overkill. .... especially at 72 grams each. I am using these, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_20_22L.html ... with 10x4.7 propellers and there is ample power even with the optional camera gimble and a small camera onboard.
The quoted figures on the smaller motor package are a bit odd ... they say 13.3 amps at 189 watts so using, P = Pd x I, that suggests that the voltage is 14.2 volts, so maybe those specs are on 4 cell batteries????
I suspect the smaller motor option will swing a 11x4.7 without too much trouble on a 3 cell battery.
It will be quiet with this setup, and quieter still if you look to some flashed esc's .. not necessary but they do reduce noise somewhat.
Hobbyking carry 10 and 11 x x4.7 propellers in pretty colours and they are gemfan brand which seems okay. the colour helps with orientation when flying line of sight.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:42 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
I would be inclined to say that the bigger motors would be overkill. .... especially at 72 grams each. I am using these, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_20_22L.html ... with 10x4.7 propellers and there is ample power even with the optional camera gimble and a small camera onboard.
The quoted figures on the smaller motor package are a bit odd ... they say 13.3 amps at 189 watts so using, P = Pd x I, that suggests that the voltage is 14.2 volts, so maybe those specs are on 4 cell batteries????
I suspect the smaller motor option will swing a 11x4.7 without too much trouble on a 3 cell battery.
It will be quiet with this setup, and quieter still if you look to some flashed esc's .. not necessary but they do reduce noise somewhat.
Hobbyking carry 10 and 11 x x4.7 propellers in pretty colours and they are gemfan brand which seems okay. the colour helps with orientation when flying line of sight.
Alright, I'll order the little set ASAP! I will likely have questions during the build, I'll post progress too!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Eeeeeeeee I got my Y6 today, and ordered the motor kit over the weekend! So excited!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:38 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
I've started my Scorpion build, and decided that the folding arms, although cumbersome, were going to work. I had to get a bit creative with esc placement, but overall I think this will work.

Shot from the front, arms extended.

Side, arms folded

Front arms folded