HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
651 Posts
I need to make a confession! I have been building & flying fixed wing rc aircraft for 30 years. The last 10 have been with electrics only. I have never built or flown Heli,s or Multi-rotors before. Would purchasing, building, and learning to fly a y650 Scorpion be a wise decision on my part?

From reading a lot of blogs and reading what you guys are saying on this blog. I may be out of my comfort zone! But! If one wants to learn could he do it on the Scorpion?

I would really wants some honest answers on this one!

Thank you all very much in advance

Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:00 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
The sunnysky motors are getting good reports. The 2830/14 750 kv are nice ... I have them on a quad. They are low kv and are very quiet but on a 3 cell battery should really be swinging an 11x4.7 propeller, though I am using a 10x4.7 and they work well.
I could not find the BC2212/12 930's on the rctimer site?? The rctimer motors seem okay ... budget motors but they have bearings and spare shafts available ... I have not had any problems with them.
As for the blue motor in the pic ... looks like a KDA20-22L ... they are a good motor, and there is an option if you wish to use them. Either reverse the shafts (not too difficult) OR Punch a hole in a piece of cardboard so it is a tight fit on the shaft. Slide it on and lop off the exess shaft with a trusty angle grinder and cutoff wheel. The heat generated will be minimal, and the cardboard will stop stuff getting in the motor .... brutal but effective.
The KDA20-22L is what I am using on my Y6 but I got reversed shaft version from www.abusemark.com

Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:10 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
I need to make a confession! I have been building & flying fixed wing rc aircraft for 30 years. The last 10 have been with electrics only. I have never built or flown Heli,s or Multi-rotors before. Would purchasing, building, and learning to fly a y650 Scorpion be a wise decision on my part?

From reading a lot of blogs and reading what you guys are saying on this blog. I may be out of my comfort zone! But! If one wants to learn could he do it on the Scorpion?

I would really wants some honest answers on this one!

Thank you all very much in advance

Rob
An honest reply .... 30 years ... got a few years to go to catch up to me ...
Electric stuff for around 10 years also (as it moved out of the stone age).
Will I give up my messy, noisy, smelly methanol burning planes ... NO WAY....
Out of the comfort zone ... HELL YEAH . But if you are going to stop challenging yourself and learning new stuff, you might as well be in a box 6' under.
Is the Y6 a good one to learn on .... no. It is a pretty complex frame, not awfully durable, complexity of 6 motors compared to a quad. Lower propellers are prone to damage as they hang underneath in a less than nice landing.
The flight board you choose will have a bearing on how easy it will be to fly and tune.
Is it possible to learn on a Scorpion Y6 ... yes it is !! Is it wise ... hmm ???
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:39 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
651 Posts
OK! Thank you for being honest!
Now! If I could ask one more favor of you I would appreciate it!? I currently have the Spektrum DX6i (DSMX) and the AR6210 receiver. based on that information could you please list the motor's, ESC's, battery, and the flight board you would recommend for an easy basic system for the y650 Scorpion?

Mark I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! I really like the Scorpion looks, and I would really like to get one into the air!

Thank you very much for your help!

Rob
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
OK! Thank you for being honest!
Now! If I could ask one more favor of you I would appreciate it!? I currently have the Spektrum DX6i (DSMX) and the AR6210 receiver. based on that information could you please list the motor's, ESC's, battery, and the flight board you would recommend for an easy basic system for the y650 Scorpion?

Mark I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! I really like the Scorpion looks, and I would really like to get one into the air!

Thank you very much for your help!

Rob
Hey Rob,
Thats a tough question ...DX6 is fine as is the AR6210. Motor choice is more about matching motor, esc and propeller to keep everything happy. The motors mentioned are all okay. Esc's ... most esc's are okay, but all the fuss is about flashed esc's at the moment (they do work very well). Check out www.abusemark.com . If his flashed esc's are out of stock, a polite message asking when they will be available usually gets a constructive answer. His naze32 flight board is very good also ... but if you want to get in the air with minimal hair loss, check the Hobbyling KK2 board http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html .
Battery in the region of 3000 - 5000 mAh will work fine (3 cell) ... hobbyking is good for these. 20C or better will be okay. Just get the CG right .. it should balance around the center of the flight board (the battery can be moved back and forward on this frame to balance the optional camera gimbal).
Propeller choice will depend on the motor. something like a 2830 at around 900 - 1100 will use a 10x4.7, and 750kv, a 11x4.7. If you go 1100 - 1400 you are looking more to a 8 or 9x4.7. The 10x4.7 is a good size.

Mark
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:47 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
651 Posts
Thanks Mark,

As I understand you the KK-2 board is the way to go and I won't have to worry about using a flashing ESC and that would mean a good quality standard ESC with BEC would work fine?! Correct?

Rob
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:43 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Hey guys, I don't proclaim to be an expert on this stuff. As I see it there are a few basic principles. What do you want to achieve. You can pay mega $$ for a flight controller that will hover or navigate itself around with no input from any pilot, but in my book that isn't flying ... that clever programming. If you want to learn to fly, a basic boardlike the KK2 is a good place to start. I have a couple of the kk2 boards but have not tried one yet. Following the kk2 thread suggests that the board works well and is simple to set up. No it won't do altitude hold, position hold, waypoint navigation etc etc, but it does'nt cost an arm and a leg either. Flashed esc's are nice but not essential, and yes the onboard bec is generally fine unless you start connecting up camera pan and tilt etc.
The idea is to read the forums till your brain hurts ...lol. There are some very clever people in the threads, and most are very helpful.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
The sunnysky motors are getting good reports. The 2830/14 750 kv are nice ... I have them on a quad. They are low kv and are very quiet but on a 3 cell battery should really be swinging an 11x4.7 propeller, though I am using a 10x4.7 and they work well.
I could not find the BC2212/12 930's on the rctimer site??
The KDA20-22L is what I am using on my Y6 but I got reversed shaft version from www.abusemark.com

Mark
I found Sunnysky here:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/SUNNYSKY-X221...#ht_3435wt_952

RcTimers
http://www.ebay.it/itm/RCTimer-DC-28...#ht_2650wt_952
Cello62 is offline Find More Posts by Cello62
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:01 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello62 View Post
Yep, me too .. just got some of those sunnysky. Arrived the other day and look good.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
Yep, me too .. just got some of those sunnysky. Arrived the other day and look good.
A friend o mine advice these sunnysky for a better payload:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/sunnysky-2...tor-p-382.html
more expansive but more power, throught are very heavy i think
needs 12x6 propellers
Cello62 is offline Find More Posts by Cello62
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:43 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello62 View Post
A friend o mine advice these sunnysky for a better payload:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/sunnysky-2...tor-p-382.html
more expansive but more power, throught are very heavy i think
needs 12x6 propellers
Those sunnysky motors are a low 700kv, and yes a 12" propeller would be realistic on 3 cell battery.
They are a big powerful motor ... too big for the Y6 scorpion I would think .... and pretty expensive too. .... plus I'm not sure the frame will confortably clear a 12" propeller ... will have to check.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
651 Posts
Mark,

I want to really thank you for all your input! What you are saying makes good sense! I will purchase a good basic Quad kit, build it and along the way learn all the electronics and understand how each component functions! But I am also going to purchase the Scorpion frame and work on putting it together, and then after I feel totally competent with the quad I will purchase the remaining components for the Scorpion!

Thanks Mark for putting up with me and helping understand what I need to do!
This Multi-Rotor stuff is a lot more complicated than I thought! As I recall learning to build and fly electric fixed wing there was a learning curve as well!

Thanks,
Rob

P.S. 1 more question: If I build up the Scorpion frame, I do assume you can take it apart so that you can install the components at a later date!?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Mark,

I want to really thank you for all your input! What you are saying makes good sense! I will purchase a good basic Quad kit, build it and along the way learn all the electronics and understand how each component functions! But I am also going to purchase the Scorpion frame and work on putting it together, and then after I feel totally competent with the quad I will purchase the remaining components for the Scorpion!

Thanks Mark for putting up with me and helping understand what I need to do!
This Multi-Rotor stuff is a lot more complicated than I thought! As I recall learning to build and fly electric fixed wing there was a learning curve as well!

Thanks,
Rob

P.S. 1 more question: If I build up the Scorpion frame, I do assume you can take it apart so that you can install the components at a later date!?
Hey Rob,
No problem with the questions .. thats what these forums are about. I can but answer to the best of my knowledge.
Good plan, with a basic simple, easy to repair quad to start off. Crashes will happen !!
Yes, The scorpion frame can be assembled and dis-assembled as long as the "nose" section is not glued together. Some people have mentioned gluing this section together but I have not with mine.
Btw .. I have some clips of mine on youtube showing intial de-boxing and early flight tuning. Search on youtube under kaz1104.

BTW: The Y6 should make a very good fpv platform with redundancy from the 6 motors plus plenty of room onboard etc.

Mark
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
651 Posts
Thanks Mark,

I will certainly check out your videos, and keep an eye on this blog as well!

Thanks again,

Rob
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, New York, Queens
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
I replaced the props with APC 10 3.8 for top and 10 4.7 for bottom. I now get 7 to 8 min on 5KMah 3Cell. It seems more stable and quieter.
louisxp1 is offline Find More Posts by louisxp1