Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,179 Posts
great how-to information and posts by all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Here is left wing. It came out great! It's 5.59 ounces! Strong too....So at 65 ounces that would be a wing loading of 9.21 oz sq/ft. Plenty light! It's easy to build too! ...... Also, I wanted an eSupra that someone could build for hopefully less than $200, I think I'll easily make that. That assumes the builder already has the necessary tools/equipment.
Curtis
Montana
Hi Curtis, some enterprising young man, say with a lot of time (laughter here)could make an interesting tutorial, even a dvd !!!, on how to roll your own supra...?
Seriously now, this has been an interesting build thread for a really nice design.
Take care and keep the posts coming, john s.

jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:42 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
John,

I really thought about the DVD, actually I have thoughts of a two DVD set one making the eSupra and disk 2 would be making a sloper. However, it takes a lot of time and that free time I had during my first productions has gone away.

However, if I've shot enough stills, I'm not sure I have, keep your eyes open in a few months for a build article at RCSD and with the two productions I have you'd easily be able to build one.

More to come soon.
Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
e-Supra/Legend

Hey Curtis,

Here is the wing we made mocked up on my Legend fuse This is very exciting! Can't wait to fly this thing!

Enjoy!
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:31 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Nice Chip!

It's going to be a great contest season. I heard yesterday that Jim L. is helping George D. scratch build another competitive work of art for ALES!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
I was looking back at my posts and I haven't shown some photos of the wing.

This is the outer panel and the center panel is done in the same manner.

The carbon fiber is Style 716 or 80/20 unidirectional. There is less carbon on the bottom. See plans at Post #1.

There is one layer of 1.43oz bias fiberglass behind the carbon (it overlaps slightly) and then one full span/chord layer of 1.43oz bias fiberglass top/bottom.

I woodpeckered the core as I wanted good adhesion since this is a hand layup. You can see the weblets and the outer joiner plywood rib support.

I also drilled the wire exit holes and alignment pin holes in the outer panel root rib and center panel tip rib at the same time so that alignment won't be an issue.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:56 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Here's the tails.

Vertical Tail:
Carbon fabric laid out 0/90 for servo mounting support.
One full span/chord layer of 1.19oz fiberglass bias
One more layer of 1.19oz fiberglass behind the carbon (overlaps slightly)
Kevlar live hinge and leading edge.

Horizontal Tail
Carbon spar is Style 716 or 80/20 unicarbon top/bottom.
Two full span/chord layer of 1.19oz fiberglass 0/90 top/bottom
There is a hard balsa block for bolt mounting. This stab can be used with a Bud Elder V-mount or as a fixed stab and moveable elevator. The hingeline is 2" behind the root leading edge for a moveable elevator which happens to be where the hard block ends.
Kevlar needs to be placed along the hingeline if planning on a separate elevator. I'm planning on using a Bud Elder V-mount.

They are in the bag and I'll have results (weights) in the morning.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Nice work, Curtis!
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Thanks Adam.

So far I'm meeting my goals for an inexpensive, easy to build, if you will, ALES eSupra.

I say inexpensive from the standpoint of already having the tools on hand such as the foam cutter and vacuum pump.

The carbon is the most expensive as well as the little bit of Kevlar for the live hinges and leading edges but the fiberglass is real inexpensive. Then it just takes time and a little experience. The size of the model shouldn't intimidate anyone wanting to build one.

The wing weights more than met my goals and are much stronger than needed and I'll know in the morning if the tails meet my goals as well.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:09 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
The tails are out of the bag and look great!
I made two verticals and two horizontals. After rough trimming the average weights are 1.6oz for all four items individually.

The weight of the vertical eSupra kit is 1.3oz so I'm pleased I'm that close.
The weight of the horizontal eSupra kit is .9oz.
In the last year or so I've now made four horizontals for an eSupra and I just can't obtain that weight. No big deal but I'm kind of amazed that I can build weights of the wing panels and vertical tails that match what can be purchased but I can't come close to the horizontal.

Hmm....

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Weight Comparison

Here's a screenshot of the weights compared to one that can be purchased.

Thanks to Neil Stanton of Hyperflight for publishing the weights of the Supra-e Competiton Ultralite that I can compare to.
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...tion-ultralite

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:06 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Shameless Plug

Since this is my thread I thought I'd give my instructional DVD's a plug.

http://tailwindgliders.com/Video.html

It's been a long time since I've viewed the DVD's and I wanted to refresh my memory on making pods/booms and while watching them I thought to myself, heck, these are pretty darn good!

Back to work.

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:00 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Since your DVD's are a plug I'm going to use one to make a mold. Who doesn't need a DVD case mold? Carbon fiber DVD case anyone?
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
Since your DVD's are a plug I'm going to use one to make a mold. Who doesn't need a DVD case mold? Carbon fiber DVD case anyone?
Open a window, I think the fumes are getting to you!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Booms

Sheesh, I haven't posted some of my results in awhile.

Booms.
I've made four booms but one I glued to the mandrel and had to cut it off. Ooops. That's a first!

The boom length is 43" and I have about 5" to cut off the large end.

They are made using 1 wrap of 1.0” diameter 8.3oz carbon fiber sleeve to make a 38” long. Mandrel is 1.2” by .5”

To make the boom I wetout both sides of the carbon, hard roll it then pull it over the mandrel (pool cue) and then wrap it with VCR tape. Allow it to cure and slide it off the mandrel. It's that quick and easy to accomplish.

Here's the weights:
#1 weighs 44 grams
#2 weighed 46 grams (destroyed)
#3 weighs 40 grams
#4 weighs 42 grams

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; May 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:09 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
Pods

Now to make the pods. I had a piece of wood turned on a lathe for me a couple years ago and I used that as a "Male Mold" to make two pods. You may be asking yourself why three booms but only two pods? Well I plan on using one of the booms for a slope soaring project late summer or early fall. So I figured while I was making booms I'd just git'r done.

To make the pods I used two layers of 10.3oz fiberglass sleeve. In between the layers of fiberglass I applied a strip of 4.1oz carbon fiber to either side of the pod.

I prepped the mandrel, wetout the first layer of fiberglass and pulled this over the mandrel. Then I applied the carbon fiber. Lastly, I wetout the second fiberglass sleeve layer and pulled it over. I had a difficult time getting this over the first layer as they were trying to stick together. This is why you see the carbon bunched up a bit on the one pod.

When I did the second pod I put the second layer of fiberglass on dry and then applied the epoxy while on the mold and it worked much better.

Here is a photo of the layup and of the completed first pod and boom. The pod weighs 130grams prior to finishing.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member