HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:01 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
I haven't posted here in awhile so I thought I'd post an update about the huge success I've had flying Red Merle during this contest season.

So far with some very stiff competition from around the state I've been able to finish on top with her in each contest! I have one or two contests left this season so hopefully I'm not jinxing myself and she can stay at the top of the pack! Either way she's a joy to fly and ALES has opened up a wonderful world of soaring and competition, not only for myself but for my friends as well.

Here's a great photo taken by a good friend "sixty9mustang" here on RCGroups as she's on approach.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Subscribe
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,141 Posts
Me too.I have to build one .It is so far the best sail plane on real flight.I stock most of the materials, and have The beginner's guide DVDs.Probably won't be ready to start until fall.Lot's of time to plan.Thanks Curtis.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:20 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
This looks great! I've been studying this thread the last couple of weeks, thinking too of building one.

Curtis, could you post some pictures of the servo install in the tail? The rudder seems simple enough, but the elevator? Since the elevator horn is on the center line, is the push rod bent?

Thanks and Blue Skies........................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:01 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD View Post
This looks great! I've been studying this thread the last couple of weeks, thinking too of building one.

Curtis, could you post some pictures of the servo install in the tail? The rudder seems simple enough, but the elevator? Since the elevator horn is on the center line, is the push rod bent?

Thanks and Blue Skies........................Tim
Bent pushrods lead to flex. In my opinion.

See attached photos.
She's looking good after my first full season with this model. It's my second eSupra I've flown. One more I built was sold to a guy in Billings and I'm told he's waiting on the ground to turn green as it's ready to fly.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Thanks Curtis! Now for my next stupid question, did you drill the hole for the clevis pin at an angle, so that it is 90 degrees to the push rod?

Blue Skies.........................Tim

BTW I really appericate the pictures, 3,000 words there! And it sure looks nice.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:35 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
Quote:
Did you drill the hole for the clevis pin at an angle, so that it is 90 degrees to the push rod?
Nope. Never thought much of it.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:49 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
Oh, I was thinking that I also use a very high quality clevis.
I say high quality as I've used these for a couple of decades and have never had a failure with one. They screw onto a threaded rod very tightly and has a metal pin.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK847&P=ML

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:54 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Good to know, Thanks!

Blue Skies................................Tim
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:40 AM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Curtis! Now for my next stupid question, did you drill the hole for the clevis pin at an angle, so that it is 90 degrees to the push rod?

Blue Skies.........................Tim

BTW I really appericate the pictures, 3,000 words there! And it sure looks nice.
So long as the clevis pin fits through the hole you will be OK. You can eliminate any slop by using some medium CA to form a bushing. I do that on all clevis connections, especially flaps and ailerons, to tighten linkages and reduce the risk of flutter.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,560 Posts
Here's my solution to the off center connection. Didn't want to stress the pivot arm or modify the hole, and didn't want to bend the control rod. I used a high quality ball link.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:45 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Here's my solution to the off center connection. Didn't want to stress the pivot arm or modify the hole, and didn't want to bend the control rod. I used a high quality ball link.

JT
Great! Heck, I'm putting a Trex-450 Heli together and should have thought of that as they are all over the heli!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:59 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,668 Posts
Third Place!

Well I'm happy to report to everyone, especially the folks who thought the wings layup of my Red Merle was too light, that after the first full season of flying she's in 100 percent tip top shape!

It was a great contest season in Montana and in the ALES League.
Out of 314 contestants in the USA and Canada we placed Third overall!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0
What a beautiful plaque the ALES League awarded me.

Thanks to everyone's help during my build of Red Merle. Even the naysayers who made me scratch my head about my layup choices as it makes me think and understand more of sailplane structures and use of materials. Seriously.

Our 2013 contest season starts at the end of March, weather permitting, so hopes are high for another great season with Red Merle.

Curtis Suter
Montana

PS Please consider attending our two-day ALES event in August, you may not wish to leave after visiting Montana.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803162
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:32 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,647 Posts
Congratulations Curtis - you and that plane are a great team.

It doesn't seem to have been affected by the dog tracking all over the wing
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:11 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
wowo Curtis, congratulations, I am sure that first place taste even better with a homemade plane

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea