HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:52 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
566 Posts
Good Fix!

R&D never ends! I fluddered my rudder this weekend, my linkage wire was thin enough to bend on a hard launch in windy conditions.

For what its worth, my boom layup in the area of your failure is:

6 layers of 2113 glass
1 layer of 5oz carbon fabric on the bias
2 layers of HM 3oz uni Carbon

That goes in a pressure bladder mold at 60-70psi.
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:42 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Hey Curtis, I am glad you mange to land her safely. I was having the same concerns on the boom layout :P I am still very interested on the sock techniques, what would you recommend?? extra UD at the root??

I am attaching some pics of my positive technique to build pods(this is my slope version with nose cone), it worked very well on my super gees, but this time I will paint them

Regards

EZ
Edwinzea is online now Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Dec 2000
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Chris,

The Red Merle is the best flying model I have ever flown. Dr. Drela has done more for this hobby for me than anyone else, with his superb airfoils, free plans and excellent designs it has just changed thermal hunting in so many ways.

We were to have a contest yesterday but as in the usual fashion it is Memorial day weekend and we have a few inches of snow on the ground this morning!

The makeup date is in two weeks as the power guys have a pylon race next weekend and many of the ALES folks will be there helping out.

I need one more flight and then I will post a video with an onboard camera showing the wing and tails with different views during launch, landing and a loop or two to show folks exactly what is going on with the model.

No one has asked but I don't think there is one thing that I would change. Oh, I would place a small balsa block in the wing where the aft joiner alignment pin goes.

I also wouldn't want it any lighter either. The 9 oz sq/ft wing loading is right on.

Curtis
Where the heck do you get a Red Merle and what is it?
John
jwjenks is offline Find More Posts by jwjenks
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,719 Posts
John,

Thanks for your note. This gliders platform is based off of Dr Drela's Supra thermal duration model that is winch launched or hand towed.

I significantly changed the build as for an electric assisted model it does not need to be anywhere as strong as his original design.

The name Red Merle I gave it is the color of our Mini Australian Shepherd. I made it a beer as ALES pun just worked well with it.

Plans are available on the first post, I think they are up to date.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:57 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,719 Posts
Edwin,

Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

If you still choose to use the biracial sleeve I would suggest two layers, one full boom length, obviously and the at least 1/3rd to one half down the boom and one layer of fiberglass full boom length. I don't think the weight of the glass is critical but it really helps with "hoop" strength.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:22 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
HEy Curtis Than you for the reply, I was considering that option too. I was wondering, on your video you prupose to wet the socks "on the mandrel" but on this thread you speak of wetting it out on the bench and the move to the mandrel?? is there a difference?? from your experience what give you best results

regards

EZ
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:09 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
HEy Curtis Than you for the reply, I was considering that option too. I was wondering, on your video you propose to wet the socks "on the mandrel" but on this thread you speak of wetting it out on the bench and the move to the mandrel?? is there a difference?? from your experience what give you best results

regards

EZ
I'm not sure that there is any difference in results but I liked wetting it out on the bench better. This way I can wet both sides, hard roll it to ensure that it's fully wetted out and then roll some paper towels on it to pick up more epoxy. I've never done a test to see if one is lighter than the other. I am getting great results either way.

The way you made the pod is intriguing to me. Is the balsa plug re-useable afterwards?

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Hey Curtis, thanks again for all the info. I will make some test soon

yes they are reusable, I cover them with packing tape, the tricky part is to get a sharp angle between the mold and the partition board, this time I used Cristal tape for the edges. I used a thin pencil to push it to the edge. Once everything is covered with tape I applied two coats of demolding agent, I made other pods this way and it works flaw less. Actually the pics are after release so you can see the are still shinny

the tricky point is after joining, you have to cut the excess with a dremel disc and the sand it to shape and finally apply a reinforcing strip of GF or kevlar. After that putty, filler, sanding until the fuse is ready to primer and paint

EZ
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:13 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,719 Posts
At long last I'm finally able to show the stresses of my scratch built eSupra "Red Merle ALES".

Since the camera is fixed to the model, place the mouse over a point on the model and as the model flies you can see the flexing that takes place.

Red Merle ALES.mp4 (6 min 0 sec)

Thoughts?

What a success!

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Great Job and nice video, mine is now in a box while we move to a new place bigger workshop for me as well

EZ
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:36 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,650 Posts
Curtis - regarding the controversy about the adequacy of your layup - it looks like you made a pretty good set of choices. The wing might not like a full pedal winch launch, but it could clearly handle a moderate winch launch. It's a pretty clean model, so probably you should avoid vertical dives to terminal velocity
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:06 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,148 Posts
Nice video! the center section of the wing ,the tail, and the flaps look super solid.Wings flex.Maybe a little more torsional resistance in the out board?,But you have to be very proud of that bird.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:29 AM
Scotland UK
Joined Jan 2005
276 Posts
Well there is nothing wrong with that!
I am sure I reflect the sentiments of many others
"you can make my wings anytime!"

Ian
sandist is offline Find More Posts by sandist
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,719 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments. They are much appreciated.

I flew in a three round mini-ALES clinic last weekend. I was one second off on two of rounds and four seconds off on another. I had two 45 landings and one 40, that's out of a possible 50. So that was good for a first place finish! That's 3124 points out of a possible 3150 points. She flew like a dream!

Someone even wanted to purchase her, that was quite flattering but she just can't be sold! ;-)

Curtis
Montana

Curtis
Montana
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:22 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Hey Curtis Congrats, ohhh yeah that baby stays home. Those planes you do not sell, maybe give as present to a good friend but not sold

Mine is still on the boxes, I am almost finished with the move but still lots of things, to do, lamps to install and wardrobes to build from scratch (:P is bad to be a handy man)

I hope I will have mine finished before this year, but we will see.

Regards

EZ