HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:05 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Cool
Frozen Planet -incredible footage

Saw this trailer his morning - incredible footage from the icy Antarctic waters showing the co-operation of a pod of killer whales to remove their prey from the protection of it's resting place of safety on an ice floe, by creating a wave which dumps the seal into the water.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/15308790

In the interview on Breakfast this morning, one of the film-makers described how they had managed to film 20 such predations, having been trying to do so since first hearing of the practice in the 1990's. The footage, captured on a number of cameras above and below the waterline, is combined into a compelling tale.

Sir David Attenborough, now in his eighties, travelled from pole-to-pole in the making of the series, which is remarkable enough in itself.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:24 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
585 Posts
Amazing bit of film.
You feel sorry for the seal, but such is life and death.
The Orcas have to eat.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:29 AM
United States, CA, Compton
Joined Oct 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
Amazing bit of film.
You feel sorry for the seal, but such is life and death.
The Orcas have to eat.
It's probably a case of natural selection. All the slightly smarter and faster seals got to safer ground. Very interesting footage.
CrotchRocketeer is offline Find More Posts by CrotchRocketeer
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:38 AM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
Very cool.

When I was a boy, my Dad bought a subscription to a series of books published by Time-Life. Mountains, Earth, The Sea, etc. On to the books had an amazing photo of a killer whale, busting through sea ice, in an attempt to eat the photographer. Apparently, the whales would track the motion of prey by watching the shadows on the underside of the ice.

I doesn't surprise me a bit the they can choreograph an assault.

BTW, saw my first killer whales ever, last month, while on the ferry to Vancouver Island. Me, not the whales.

And Attenborough is the absolute bomb.
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:44 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Marten - I remember seeing those books - and it's heartening to think that they might have played some part in your future working life.

The killer whales preferentially select the weddell seals, rather than the "feisty" crabeater seals. Even the biggest predators will try to adopt strategies that minimise the risk of injury to themselves. The co-operation between the individuals is striking and, of course implies the means of communicating that co-operation. Cool stuff indeed
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:58 AM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
Sadly, those books were sold at a flea market, for a good charity, I hasten to add, but I've always regretted my Mom's decision to unload them. They didn't take up much shelf space, and, as you say, they whetted my interest in the physical sciences. At the time, they were cutting edge. Where else would you read about the Marianas Trench, the Trieste, Al Vine , and Aluminaut?
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten View Post
Sadly, those books were sold at a flea market, for a good charity, I hasten to add, but I've always regretted my Mom's decision to unload them. They didn't take up much shelf space, and, as you say, they whetted my interest in the physical sciences. At the time, they were cutting edge. Where else would you read about the Marianas Trench, the Trieste, Al Vine , and Aluminaut?
In my case it was the set of Encyclopaedias that my dad had bought - The World Book, - which I devoured, cover to cover, multiple times as a youngster.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:34 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Video is blocked in "my area". You guys with Kings and Queens carry on!
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:35 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
444 Posts
Hence forth Killer Whales will be called...

Friggen Awesome Whales. Killer just does not do them justice.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:40 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
Yup, not available here. Wonder why they do that? I really like some britcoms and would like to watch them online, but they are always blocked.

Guess the British are still a little peeved with us colonials
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:06 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Here's a CGI version on You Tube

Killer whales work in teams to hunt seals (0 min 37 sec)

The real thing will probably be on You Tube by the end of the week.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:18 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,657 Posts
Here's one from 2006 on the same subject.

Orca Attack Seal with Waves (4 min 0 sec)
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:53 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
Video is blocked in "my area". You guys with Kings and Queens carry on!
It's blocked in my area too even though the Queen is here right now visiting Australia . Many American videos can't be seen in Australia either. For instance, a link to the John Stewart show or even Southpark is blocked in Australia.

Frozen Planet is blocked here because the first segment airs on Sunday.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Yup, not available here. Wonder why they do that? I really like some britcoms and would like to watch them online, but they are always blocked.

Guess the British are still a little peeved with us colonials
It has to do with how the BBC is funded - through a licence fee, and not through advertising.

Interestingly, there are plans to make BBC content globally available for a monthly fee, starting some time next year.

IIRC it will be around the same price as my monthly fee for a UK proxy, so I am in.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2009
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle View Post
It has to do with how the BBC is funded - through a licence fee, and not through advertising.

Interestingly, there are plans to make BBC content globally available for a monthly fee, starting some time next year.

IIRC it will be around the same price as my monthly fee for a UK proxy, so I am in.
Yup. The BBC trys to sell it's programs outside the UK so that's why they block BBC Iplayer and other feeds that are available inside the UK. Us UK'rs of course have to pay the license fee to watch it.
mortato is offline Find More Posts by mortato