HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:57 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Yippee!
lit up for a few bucks

It is getting dark out here awfully early now, but it need not leave me grounded.

I started a plane fashioned like the Air Hogs Jetscream a few weeks ago, and after a few failures a very futuristic, spacelike craft emerged. An outline that just begged for lights and night flight.

The LED's consist of a few I colored ones I have salvaged over the years from discarded kid's toys, and white ones that come in those dollar store stick on lights.

In order to connect the LED's to the airplane's battery pack, resistors are needed, or a dedicated single cell lipo could also be used. The effort of installing resistors is well worth it, rather than messing with an extra battery.

I found the information I needed here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=6 And salvaged the necessary resistors from an old VCR.

I tore a piece of telephone line out of the roof in the basement (we're renovating), and I was ready to create light.

foamnpacktape is online now Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:05 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,698 Posts
Job well done ! enjoy and get some gloves for when it gets colder. or the new TX boot that your hands go in........reminds me? .......I have to order one today also. you can buy a light kit ,but it takes pride when you DIY and laugh at your wisdom and pull something off. Happy flying Dude !
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:30 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,698 Posts
get yourself a little plastic box to keep all the little wire,resistors,leds and stuff . I cannibalize things all the time for lights and stuff. handy to have around
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
548 Posts
Hey Christmas is early this year !
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
Quote:
lit up for a few bucks
A six pack of Bud Lite (Light)?
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:57 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Took her out at night for the first time. She looks great in the air, relatively easy to keep oriented, but a little unnerving - she seems faster at night.

Cheers,
Carey
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:01 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
A six pack of Bud Lite (Light)?
Ahh the USA land of cheap booze and smokes, up here they try to tax those sins right out of us. Probably have to turn to contraband to get lit for a few bucks in Canada.

Cheers,
Carey