HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:19 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Discussion
Pressure bladder with a wing pylon

I’m building a mold for a one piece fuse that has a pylon. Insides of pylons are normally hollow so, how do you incorporate a pressure bladder without blowing the thing out? My plug is just about done, so anything is up for grabs.

A friend and I have come up with two ideas’… Some kind of 3 piece mold (a drawing would be nice). Or some kind of molded insert to block off the opening. Trouble with that is the pylon would not get any benefits of the bladder.

Go slow, I’m still learning
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:41 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,293 Posts
Are you making the bladder out of plastic sheeting? Maybe you can incorporate the pylon shape into that....
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:27 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
As Ward says.
I would design the mould so that the pylon will be layed up with with wing seat intact. ie. the mould will be closed allowing the use of a bladder. If you go over to the inflation bladder thread, (which you may already have done), you will find lots of discussion on methods of heat "welding" plastic sheet to form a suitable bladder.
It might require a few attempts to get the bladder template just right, but is doable I think. I would try at least one sacrificial light layup to see if the bladder holds etc. before commiting to a full one with carbon reo etc.

Jim
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:34 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
I've been over to the bladder thread, started to make me crossed eyed. I'm going to make the bladder from the drop cloth so cutting the pylon shape shouldn't be a problem.

I like the wing saddle idea closing off the top. I’d have to come up with some way to make sure that is perpendicular to the vertical axis.

Still learning to think backwards
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:51 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,703 Posts
I use a silicone mold of my pylon (think DLG tail mount) and insert that on top of my wetted cloth in the pylon mold prior to adding the bladder. After the bladder is inflated, it pushes the silicone into the pylon. When you deflate and remove the bladder, you can pull the silicone mold out with hemos or needle nose and reuse it.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:46 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,716 Posts
Im not sure I understand your description of a pylon however I managed to use a poly bladder with success then tried some with party balloons and they also work quite nice. The entry and exit of the pylon allowed the bladders to find a comfy home and seat into the cavity
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Last edited by DLGjunkyard; Oct 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:54 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,716 Posts
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:58 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Do you have a picture of this? What psi are you running? If I understand a high psi might pop the insert out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
I use a silicone mold of my pylon (think DLG tail mount) and insert that on top of my wetted cloth in the pylon mold prior to adding the bladder. After the bladder is inflated, it pushes the silicone into the pylon. When you deflate and remove the bladder, you can pull the silicone mold out with hemos or needle nose and reuse it.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:01 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
This is close to my pylon, except it has a wing saddle. My mold will have to split vertical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
Im not sure I understand your description of a pylon however I managed to use a poly bladder with success then tried some with party balloons and they also work quite nice. The entry and exit of the pylon allowed the bladders to find a comfy home and seat into the cavity
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:08 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,703 Posts
No, the insert goes into the pylon opening. More bladder pressure just presses it harder into the pylon opening.

My current molds don't have the mounts molded in so I don't think I have pics.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
I use a silicone mold of my pylon (think DLG tail mount) .....................
I think you mean "plug" here Tom or "insert", not mould. Is that right?
I know the two terms plug and mould are often interchanged which can lead to some confusion.
I have used two pack silicone inserts to support the bladder successfully in the wing fillet/stubs of a fuselage for a two part wing moulded plane.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:37 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,703 Posts
Insert is fine.