HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:42 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Feel guilty as flying my Walkrea quads more and more and Y-6. Need to either change blades or use longer screw for bracket. My poor foward flight might be c/g issue as using Turnigy 180ma battery. Its longer and sure weighs more. I am not impressed with some of Solo-pros quality in plastics. My 260A L/G was very briitle and snapped two sets within three flights. Flown my other helis hunderds of times and have not broken l/g. I replaced flybar on 270A and when I removed top bracket carefully hole was stripped. Screw barely goes into the blade. Very low quality plastic. This is not a $20.00 bird either.
I had the same issues with my 270a. As much as I like how it flies I was VERY dissapointed with how brittle it was. Within a few minutes of getting it I had 2 cracks in the canopy, a broken flybar and a broken tail motor mount. Fortunately I bought plenty of spares with it, but as you've pointed out this isn't a $20 heli. And after having it for quite awhile now I still find myself replacing the same things over and over with the slightest crash. Mostly the flybar & tail motor mount. It really adds up & I've spent a fortune keeping it in the air and I'm a much better pilot now than when I got it. Seems like every little bump breaks something on this bird ! - too bad it isn't nearly indestructable like my v911's & Helios.... it would get flown a lot more. I have to replace (yet another) tail motor mount as we speak..
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:53 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
I had the same issues with my 270a. As much as I like how it flies I was VERY dissapointed with how brittle it was. Within a few minutes of getting it I had 2 cracks in the canopy, a broken flybar and a broken tail motor mount. Fortunately I bought plenty of spares with it, but as you've pointed out this isn't a $20 heli. And after having it for quite awhile now I still find myself replacing the same things over and over with the slightest crash. Mostly the flybar & tail motor mount. It really adds up & I've spent a fortune keeping it in the air and I'm a much better pilot now than when I got it. Seems like every little bump breaks something on this bird ! - too bad it isn't nearly indestructable like my v911's & Helios.... it would get flown a lot more. I have to replace (yet another) tail motor mount as we speak..
Have you considered trying to mod an aluminum tail motor mount to fit it? And apart from that, if you break the flybar so much, get the CF flybar from Xtreme and see if that works out better ... it is definitely worth a try (I installed one on one of my "Franken" V911's the other day, and up to now, I have to say I am very happy with it ... it is also already modded to paddles btw ... ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:33 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Have you considered trying to mod an aluminum tail motor mount to fit it? And apart from that, if you break the flybar so much, get the CF flybar from Xtreme and see if that works out better ... it is definitely worth a try (I installed one on one of my "Franken" V911's the other day, and up to now, I have to say I am very happy with it ... it is also already modded to paddles btw ... ...)
Thanks for the advice but basically how I feel about such things is I feel I shouldn't have to buy upgrades or do mods on them, especially considering how much they are in the first place! I just want to buy & fly and have it be durable for what it costs... just another one of the many, many reasons I fell in love with v911's and the Helios. You get soooo much for your money and I truly am spoiled by that. The other stuff just doesn't measure up anymore
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Thanks for the advice but basically how I feel about such things is I feel I shouldn't have to buy upgrades or do mods on them, especially considering how much they are in the first place! I just want to buy & fly and have it be durable for what it costs... just another one of the many, many reasons I fell in love with v911's and the Helios. You get soooo much for your money and I truly am spoiled by that. The other stuff just doesn't measure up anymore
I definitely agree and completely understand your point. However, IF there are upgrades/mods that have the potential to get rid of your problems (and save you money in the long run) and you just dont want to do them and rather prefer to keep on buying the inferior stock replacement parts, then, with all due respect, you can no longer complain about the breakage ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:55 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,020 Posts
I think the best upgrade is to try and crash less.

I agree it's nice if a heli can survive almost any crash, but on the other hand, is a heli made for flying, or for crashing? If you fly the same way with a large CP, you will have to take a second or third mortgage pretty soon, to keep your heli airworthy. Are you fast enough to chop the throttle before you crash? Often pilots try to get the heli back under control, and have the throttle to max trying to get the heli out of trouble, so there is a lot of kinetic energy in the blades. Not saying I'm such a great pilot, but I've crashed my 270 in the living room a couple of times into a metal lamp post, and outside twice on the street. The only damage was a popped out landing skids (pop back in, and ready to go again), and a scratch on the canopy. Oddly enough, the same goes for my 260s. Only cracked a canopy once after a FFF nose dive into the ground, and a main and tail motor when flying full speed, blades running, into a metal fence. Although both motors died later, not instantly.

What also might explain the difference is that I'm usually an early adaptor on these NE helis, and get a heli from early production batches. I get the impression on later batches cost reduction measures are being cut in, and this sometimes causes problems. Like the first RX-06 receivers were fine, but later batches often had servo problems. My first 270 was fine out of the box, the second I built shortly after from spare parts the same, the third was bought much later, to get the other canopy color as well, and had a faulty receiver out of the box. I am beginning to see a pattern here.

Shame, as the 270 flies really well, even if it's not always so good at crashing.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, TN, Crab Orchard
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
I agree with the brittle plastic issue . Flying my 270/911 hybrid (as I'm calling it now lol) the other night and had a crash. I didnt think it was that bad upon inspecting the heli found 3 of the canopy mounts broke. So I'm waiting on my new frame. I purchased the metal swash and mixer arms from xtreme and I am very pleased with them. They didnt have the carbon flybar when I got the other items. Erdnuckel2 have you found any issues with it since you installed it.
ScrapDaddy14 is offline Find More Posts by ScrapDaddy14
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapDaddy14 View Post
I agree with the brittle plastic issue . Flying my 270/911 hybrid (as I'm calling it now lol) the other night and had a crash. I didnt think it was that bad upon inspecting the heli found 3 of the canopy mounts broke. So I'm waiting on my new frame. I purchased the metal swash and mixer arms from xtreme and I am very pleased with them. They didnt have the carbon flybar when I got the other items. Erdnuckel2 have you found any issues with it since you installed it.
Not yet, and I sure hope it stays this way (it for sure reduced the flybar strikes compared to the stock ("wet noodle") flybar ... but even with a "modded" canopy I am not able to get them away completely ...)
However, I also have to remark, I put it on a 911, not the SP270 as the SP270 is too tame for my taste and I cant fly it with the 9X ... big minus ... (I intend to post some pictures and a flight video soon ...)

Now I am starting to think what would happen if I had a 2mm longer main shaft ... that would most likely suffice to totally wipe out blade strike potential ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:18 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I think the best upgrade is to try and crash less.

I agree it's nice if a heli can survive almost any crash, but on the other hand, is a heli made for flying, or for crashing? If you fly the same way with a large CP, you will have to take a second or third mortgage pretty soon, to keep your heli airworthy. Are you fast enough to chop the throttle before you crash? Often pilots try to get the heli back under control, and have the throttle to max trying to get the heli out of trouble, so there is a lot of kinetic energy in the blades. Not saying I'm such a great pilot, but I've crashed my 270 in the living room a couple of times into a metal lamp post, and outside twice on the street. The only damage was a popped out landing skids (pop back in, and ready to go again), and a scratch on the canopy. Oddly enough, the same goes for my 260s. Only cracked a canopy once after a FFF nose dive into the ground, and a main and tail motor when flying full speed, blades running, into a metal fence. Although both motors died later, not instantly.

What also might explain the difference is that I'm usually an early adaptor on these NE helis, and get a heli from early production batches. I get the impression on later batches cost reduction measures are being cut in, and this sometimes causes problems. Like the first RX-06 receivers were fine, but later batches often had servo problems. My first 270 was fine out of the box, the second I built shortly after from spare parts the same, the third was bought much later, to get the other canopy color as well, and had a faulty receiver out of the box. I am beginning to see a pattern here.

Shame, as the 270 flies really well, even if it's not always so good at crashing.
I agree crashing less helps loads!...LOL fortunately I don't crash nearly as much now but even with the light occaisional crash seems to always break something on my 270a! Really a shame because I really do like how it flies...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:24 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I definitely agree and completely understand your point. However, IF there are upgrades/mods that have the potential to get rid of your problems (and save you money in the long run) and you just dont want to do them and rather prefer to keep on buying the inferior stock replacement parts, then, with all due respect, you can no longer complain about the breakage ...
Not true! I have every right and expectation to complain about a heli that has inferior parts, whether upgrades are available or not simply because it should be made correctly in the first place! I shouldn't have to do mods or buy upgrades - especially for what they cost!!!
The sad thing is the 270a is really a nice heli, and I enjoy flying it but NE is is using crappy plastics (I bet in an attempt to sell more spares) but they would never admit it....
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:31 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,020 Posts
I think Balr14 has a good point, as he states in another thread that it is common practice to make the first production better than later runs, at least for QC. It's possible a later revision heli might have some improvements based on reports from customers, but usually the failure rate seems to increase along the lines. Probably as you are not sure if you can sell the later produced units, as there is always a chance a cheaper clone comes along and steals your customers away with basically your design.

Clones might actually be another reason why companies abandon the QC on a design earlier. NE must have kept in mind that the 260 was cloned and I bet quite a few people, when having to chose between the V911 and the 260, were drawn towards the V911, as it was cheaper, had some improvements, and was 9x compatible. The same can happen to any design, and your competition usually doesn't let you in on their cloning plans...

Also, it seems like NE can't make stuff as cheap as some other Chinese companies can. Either their bosses have big salaries, or they are still feeling the impact of the lawsuits Blade/Horizon Hobby (well, it was a local company that started the legal action, but funded by HH) has held against NE, for their "design copy" of the linear servo on the mCX/mSR. Which still seems odd, as the linear actuator principle is a common engineering design, and a already often used way to translate circular motion to sliding motion. Patenting business sometimes stinks, it's a good thing no one patented breathing yet...

Bottom line, I think with NE it's better to buy a heli shortly after it was released, as you will more likely get better quality, whereas with Blade it's lately the other way around, the V2 fixes issues in the V1, just like Align did with the Trex 100. Walkera sits in the middle. The first units might have some bugs, but also usually have more features. On the "V2" sometimes things are removed, like telemetry on the Ladybird for instance. Fact stays, the customer usually has to be on his or her wits to get the heli experience they want and paid for. I'm lucky to have had little issues with my NE birds so far (hope I didn't jinx them now... ) but I know how it feels when expectations are not met.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
I think Balr14 has a good point, as he states in another thread that it is common practice to make the first production better than later runs, at least for QC. It's possible a later revision heli might have some improvements based on reports from customers, but usually the failure rate seems to increase along the lines. Probably as you are not sure if you can sell the later produced units, as there is always a chance a cheaper clone comes along and steals your customers away with basically your design.

Clones might actually be another reason why companies abandon the QC on a design earlier. NE must have kept in mind that the 260 was cloned and I bet quite a few people, when having to chose between the V911 and the 260, were drawn towards the V911, as it was cheaper, had some improvements, and was 9x compatible. The same can happen to any design, and your competition usually doesn't let you in on their cloning plans...

Also, it seems like NE can't make stuff as cheap as some other Chinese companies can. Either their bosses have big salaries, or they are still feeling the impact of the lawsuits Blade/Horizon Hobby (well, it was a local company that started the legal action, but funded by HH) has held against NE, for their "design copy" of the linear servo on the mCX/mSR. Which still seems odd, as the linear actuator principle is a common engineering design, and a already often used way to translate circular motion to sliding motion. Patenting business sometimes stinks, it's a good thing no one patented breathing yet...

Bottom line, I think with NE it's better to buy a heli shortly after it was released, as you will more likely get better quality, whereas with Blade it's lately the other way around, the V2 fixes issues in the V1, just like Align did with the Trex 100. Walkera sits in the middle. The first units might have some bugs, but also usually have more features. On the "V2" sometimes things are removed, like telemetry on the Ladybird for instance. Fact stays, the customer usually has to be on his or her wits to get the heli experience they want and paid for. I'm lucky to have had little issues with my NE birds so far (hope I didn't jinx them now... ) but I know how it feels when expectations are not met.
Unfortunately buying early didn't make a difference in this case. I bought the 270a a as soon as it was available and was among the earliest buyers here. So going by what you are suggesting if mine was this bad, I feel very sorry for folks who bought them later!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:01 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,020 Posts
That contradicts my theory, then. Don't know why some of the plastic parts are that brittle. They know how to make them durable, as on some other helis the skids or flybars are near indestructible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:49 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
That contradicts my theory, then. Don't know why some of the plastic parts are that brittle. They know how to make them durable, as on some other helis the skids or flybars are near indestructible.
Exactly.... So then I begin to wonder is it a QC issue? (I don't really think so) or a purposeful attempt to sell more spares? (this seems to be the logical answer unfortunately...) The truley sad part is that it is a great heli. If it was made with durable flexible parts it would be ultimate... but it looks like NE decided to go in a different direction...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:35 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,476 Posts
The Landing gear on my 260A was very brittle. Broke original and replacement set with in a few flights. My V911's look wimpy but hold up fine. I went to Xtreme l/g for 260A and repaired both stock sets. Blade holes for flybat bracket stripped out just removeing tiny screw. [270A. Baldes are fine hope longer screw is a fix.
Stock 270A battery had short life. Both 260A/270A fly fine I have concern that parts are made to break way to easy. Oval TX with 260A works ok but flops over easy.The J4TX is nice and works fine, even trims work.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
7 Posts
Hello guys,

First i was intereseted to replace my (lost) bi-rotor with a FP like the Solo Pro. Then i discovered the WL Toys V911 and the Solo Pro 270.

Solo Pro 270 in my country is avout 65, same for the v911 if i order at Hobby King or Banggood (both of them are in backorder ATM).

I'm just looking for a good, robust heli that i can slam over the wall without too many fear. My previous one was this one a it was unbreakable.

So, is the 270 worth it? I'm not looking into performance, only pealsure. I'm just a bit scared about the "easy" breakable reputation of the 270, regarding the v911 thread.

Thanks for your help.
mydriaze is offline Find More Posts by mydriaze