602 Posts
this is what i have http://www.xheli.com/s006-helicopter.html
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
NE solo free spirit V2
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Agree with Soloprofan. The 270 is a good step up from 3 channel. I used a 4 channel coax first to get the hang of the controls. The 270 is quite stable. Be sure you can get parts locally though! You will definetly break something as you start to learn. I personally only order that which is broken and do not stock up beforehand. You could also order spares beforehand if you wish.
Although I really like the 270 you could also try a V911 by WL toys. Good fun and let's face it...really really cheap. Just check the threads.
rcstringfellow is offline Find More Posts by rcstringfellow
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
do you think it's worth getting the deluxe version because of the separate charger? http://www.toymall99.com/nine-eagles...e-version.html
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
never mind, it's not. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_US_Plug.html
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:43 AM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
That looks like a very good deal.
In my opinion the charger is the one thing that I use the most. Go for the wall plug one definitely.

No V911 for you?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
the 270 looks better but i definetly like the remote on the V911 a lot better but it sounds like it has a bunch of problems: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1548027
do you sugest one?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Both remote's are fine. They do the job. As I've read the current remotes of the RTF V911's already have a less sensible rudder setting. The J4pro is for the 270 is fine. The transmitter choice shouldn't influence your decision all that much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
ok i will get a 270, it looks better.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder bob View Post
ok i will get a 270, it looks better.
The V911 is a better choice for you. The 270 is nicer but the flybar is weak. You will break many of them. Also, the V911 uses better servos that are far more reliable. The 270 uses linear servos and they are prone to breaking easily and this often means you need an entire new control board. Not cheap.

Once you have a transmitter, the heli alone(V911) can be purchased for around 20 bucks. Much better option for a beginner who is bound to crash and break things. Plus, the V911 performs a lot more than the stock 270, and you can use the dual rates to start off slow. The 270 also has dual rates, but in low rates it won't even move! So, definitely.... The V911 is a far better option.

This coming from someone who has A LOT of experience with these little flyers, at the risk of sounding pretentious.

Happy flying!
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,658 Posts
I can't tell how the 270 would have held up if I had been the beginner I was when I got my first 260. I've crashed it hard up to 3 times, 2 times in FFF (Fast Forward Flight) outside, and the heli stayed in one piece. However, I may have been lucky or faster with reducing throttle to zero as a crash was unavoidable, as I heard more reports of the 270's flybar breaking. So perhaps the V911 is a better choice, considering you only have 3 channel to come from. Make sure you get a new version though, if the rudder response has not been fixed, the tail response will be far too twitchy for a new to 4 channel pilot.

On the other hand, the 270 is such a smooth flying heli, it just needs a better receiver, with more throw, to open up it's potential. I fly it with a 260 receiver, which is a direct swap, and it's my favorite indoor heli now.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
ok, but this is what i'm worried about:

Swashplate separation
Issue: The swashplate has been known to separate easily in crashes (experienced by most flyer's including myself)
Symptoms: The V911 will become noticeably sluggish or uncontrollable following a crash
Solution: Press the two halves of the swashplate together OR replace with the swashplate from the Solo Pro

Motor issues
Issue: Motor becomes hot, noisy or seizes during operation
Symptoms: Listed above
Solution: Replace motor with the motor from the Nine Eagles Bravo SX

Toilet Bowl Effect
CAUSE:Too much flybar friction
SOLUTION:decrease friction on the flybar backing out the screw until the flybar moves freely

Vibrations
CAUSE:Too heavy or out-of-balance flybar weights
SOLUTION: modify stock flybar or purchase an aftermarket, adjustable weight flybar (IE: Xtreme Solo Pro CF)

CAUSE:Main gear (out of round, "wobbly", not flat, non-meshing teeth)
SOLUTION:replace the main gear

CAUSE:Too much play in the mixer arms ("see-saw thingy's")
SOLUTION: flip the mixer arms over (one at a time - trial and error depending on your setup)

CAUSE:Too much play in the rotor blades on the pivot pins
SOLUTION:fill the gap with spacers (washers) ensuring the blades still freely pivot with less lateral movement along the length of the pin

CAUSE:Out-of-balance (malformed) rotor blades
SOLUTION:replace blades with a new spare set (it was reported that a new set of blades helped alleviate shuddering issues)

CAUSE:Too much play in the inner diameter of the swash
SOLUTION:use a small amount of tape to increase the diameter of the main shaft without introducing too much friction to the inside diameter of the swatch

CAUSE:Swash separation
SOLUTION:ensure the swash pieces are not separated (gap between top and bottom pieces) before flying (there are many posts on gluing and securing the OEM swash) OR replace with a Solo Pro swash (reportedly does not separate) or an aftermarket swash (cnc etc)

CAUSE:Misc head issues (incl. above causes including flybar issues)
SOLUTION:replace with a suitable replacement head (stock, solo pro, aftermarket (IE: Xtreme) metal or delrin) - NOTE: if you use a Solo Pro head - you should also use Solo Pro rotor blades as the pivot pins are smaller making issues worse with v911 OEM rotor blades (as per cpuken)

CAUSE:Too much general friction in one or more areas of the heli
SOLUTION:Lube the motor and gear components with your lube of choice (including ball joints with wet or dry lube - pencil graphite has been sworn by) closely inspect all moving parts for hair, lint, grime and general debris
(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1548027)

that's a lot of problems.
Last edited by builder bob; Jul 16, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Look at how many happy users the V911 has. And think.... If your V911 was to have ALL the above problems... The cost to fixing it is 20$ to buy a new one. A seized servo on the 270 will cost you 35$.

I owned two V911s, personally, and never had any of the above issues with them. Maybe I was lucky, but nonetheless.

Here's my prognosis, given you've never flown 4 channels. You buy the 270, your heli will be on the bench, grounded, in two days.

You buy 2x V911 for cheaper and you should be able to stretch that for quite a while.

Come to think of it, though, you need basic soldering skills and a solder gun to maintain the V911. The 270, OTOH, has plugs on everything so no need to soldering, just so you know.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
ok thanks, i can solder
Last edited by builder bob; Jul 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:44 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,658 Posts
That is a list of possible problems. So far the thing that comes up most are the problems with the swash plate, and some got a heli with a bad main motor. The first is easy to fix and the second as well, if you don't mind soldering on tiny wires. Problem is not so much of the V911, but issues like these are quite common for cheap mass produced in China stuff. There is much less focus on quality control like we would like to see. In case of the V911, the low price compensates for that, the SP270 is a little more expensive.

I would say, in your case the V911 is a nice option, perhaps get 2 right away, as "insurance", and later get a SP270, just to get to feel how it flies. With a little tinkering you could fit a V911 receiver to it, and fly both helis with the same transmitter.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan