HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcstringfellow View Post
I spent some time this evening putting layers of paint on my 270 canopy.
What kind of paint do you use? The canopy plastic on micro-helis tend to flex a lot.
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,002 Posts
Quote:
Gotta share!

I spent some time this evening putting layers of paint on my 270 canopy.
I always wanted a KLM heli.
Check the pic's!
It's my first attempt at a paint job. Second version will be better I hope
Enjoy

(the rotor blades are drying as we speak....just couldn't wait to put the canopy on)
It WILL be better ... it always is! (its a "biological/physical/chemicallaw) ... but seriously! the second attempt is always better than the first, as you wont be making as many mistakes a you may have the previous time (ask me how I know ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:24 PM
NE solo free spirit V2
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I used Montana Gold Acrylic professional spray paint. Started with a plastic spray paint primer.
rcstringfellow is offline Find More Posts by rcstringfellow
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:33 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
You painted the rotor blades too? Hope it won't create any unbalance then...
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:41 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
You painted the rotor blades too? Hope it won't create any unbalance then...
I painted the blades on my SP260, and the tail rotor on my Bravo SX. Went to balance them before re-assembling the heli, but they were fine as is, so didn't have to.

He should be okay if the blades received the same number of paint coats, and the design is symmetrical on both blades.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:01 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Just got my heli. WOW! Awesome! Did a quick hover... All good!! BUT ... not proud about having to charge the battery on the remote. Will kill my TX batteries chop chop. So, is there a better way to charge off mains somehow?

Would this work:
http://www.myrcmart.com/wlv91121-usb...obu464aidb1lc5

Or else, this....
http://www.myrcmart.com/ne4210902-ad...er-p-2577.html

Also, I noticed that I push full forward pitch, and it hardly moves. I then go full back, and it comes back dead quick! At sticks centred, it hovers well (I have trimmed it). But when I push forward, it hardly moves. Left and right drift, and rudder are all very good. But forward and a bit backwards is very slow. Is this normal? Full stick forward and it hardly moves.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Last edited by Cralis; Jul 02, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:16 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Just got my heli. WOW! Awesome! Did a quick hover... All good!! BUT ... not proud about having to charge the battery on the remote. Will kill my TX batteries chop chop. So, is there a better way to charge off mains somehow?

Would this work:
http://www.myrcmart.com/wlv91121-usb...obu464aidb1lc5

Or else, this....
http://www.myrcmart.com/ne4210902-ad...er-p-2577.html

Also, I noticed that I push full forward pitch, and it hardly moves. I then go full back, and it comes back dead quick! At sticks centred, it hovers well (I have trimmed it). But when I push forward, it hardly moves. Left and right drift, and rudder are all very good. But forward and a bit backwards is very slow. Is this normal? Full stick forward and it hardly moves.

The second one will certainly work. Also a nice deal, so it seems.

As for the low forward response, you are flying in high rates, so a full circle on the display? In low rates the servo throw is reduced. Even when flying in high rates, it could be your servo throw is too low, some 270s have been programmed pretty tame, and we haven't discovered any way to adjust the servo throw on the 270, like it's possible on the 260.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:19 PM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Glad to hear you like it!

I had the same on my 270. That is why I put a v911 board in it. After about a month of flying I can say that with the v911 board the heli is more responsive but at a weight penalty. The original 270 board is lighter. For me it very much justifies the enhanced flying capabilities. For indoor flight the 270 in stock setup up is incredibly smooth and fun to fly. For outside it is just better with the v911.

On a side note: The KLM heli with painted blades flies great! I didn't even check the balance
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,124 Posts
Quote:

On a side note: The KLM heli with painted blades flies great! I didn't even check the balance
Curious to see a pic. Looks nice from what I've seen so far.

I have recently painted quad propellers and I it did not affect the balancing. I think it's like V-man said. If you spray a uniform coat of paint on them, it's good enough. Start using a paint brush, though, and you might have some issues.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:52 PM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Do you one better

Solo pro 270/v911 KLM.MOV (2 min 45 sec)

It's only 2:55 because I felt that all the crashed were a bit boring to look at . Normally I don't crash that often...it's only on camera.
Sorry for the renovating work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:24 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I have recently painted quad propellers and I it did not affect the balancing. I think it's like V-man said. If you spray a uniform coat of paint on them, it's good enough. Start using a paint brush, though, and you might have some issues.
I use a paintbrush and do not have any problem. Can't use my airbrush & compressor in the condo, it's way too loud. One day we'll buy a house and I can haul it out again... [sigh]

The trick is to use thin, even coats and a quality brush.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:12 AM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Today is a good day!
I flew 4 packs for 5:30min each in very light winds while standing in the sun. Small pond in front, trees to the back to break the wind. And a pasture the size of a football field. Really really nice!
The heli was outstanding! No flybar strikes and real smooth corners. Fast nimble and elegant!
Great, great, great day for flying
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:25 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
As for the low forward response, you are flying in high rates, so a full circle on the display? In low rates the servo throw is reduced. Even when flying in high rates, it could be your servo throw is too low, some 270s have been programmed pretty tame, and we haven't discovered any way to adjust the servo throw on the 270, like it's possible on the 260.
Oh oh.. I have tried on the half circle, and full. (Not 100% sure would be better...). Both result in VERY slow (if any!) forward motion in the house. It seems when I turn right, and go forward, it moves. But flying straight is next to no movement.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
hi, i'm prety new to helicopters but i have flown one of the ones with two sets of main blades and i was wondering if this would be a good helicopter for me.
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:59 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder bob View Post
hi, i'm prety new to helicopters but i have flown one of the ones with two sets of main blades and i was wondering if this would be a good helicopter for me.
If you have flown a 4 channel coaxial (heli with 2 sets of main blades above each other) you are ready for this. The 270 has a solid hover, also when close to the ground and responds quite neutral to stick commands.