SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:36 AM
Registered User
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Knowing nine eagles they will make the heli only able to bind with the rtf tx...and the included tx will not able to bind to any other nine eagle's helis. Yay, just what we all need...another tx.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:11 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Knowing nine eagles they will make the heli only able to bind with the rtf tx...and the included tx will not able to bind to any other nine eagle's helis. Yay, just what we all need...another tx.
There are some odd combinations indeed, but perhaps they will surprise us with the long asked for one TX for all. I understand someone on this forum has been able to communicate with NE (not me, I tried but failed to get through) and the issue about the TXs is known. Part seems to have to do with the fact that as the amount of different helis increased rapidly lately, some production was out-sourced, and that is were compatibility was lost.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:26 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
From a seperaty started single posting topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyponny View Post
I just got the NE270, and wondering which batteries are suitable for the heli.

Any suggestion? I would like to buy Turnigy Nanotech but don't know which one.

I don't have the 270 (yet) but the person that sent it to me mentioned the battery is different from the Solo Pro 260 battery. So currently there will probably be no compatible after market battery available for the 270. One option is to get the mSR type plug version, and add the extra wire to your heli, so you can connect these.

I understand the 270 is a little heavier than the 260, so I think a 160 mAh lipo would be needed.


Edit: The 270 now also has the spare parts listed on their website, which has been updated with other products as well, much to my surprise.

Alternate canopy color:



and the mixer arms seem to have metal or at least different material bearings:



Considering the plastic mixer arms on the Solo Pro can wear after time, this seems like a nice improvement, along with the metal dampened feathering shaft that this revamped Solo Pro also has.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 28, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:37 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
From a seperaty started single posting topic:




I don't have the 270 (yet) but the person that sent it to me mentioned the battery is different from the Solo Pro 260 battery. So currently there will probably be no compatible after market battery available for the 270. One option is to get the mSR type plug version, and add the extra wire to your heli, so you can connect these.

I understand the 270 is a little heavier than the 260, so I think a 160 mAh lipo would be needed.


Edit: The 270 now also has the spare parts listed on their website, which has been updated with other products as well, much to my surprise.

Alternate canopy color:



and the mixer arms seem to have metal or at least different material bearings:



Considering the plastic mixer arms on the Solo Pro can wear after time, this seems like a nice improvement, along with the metal dampened feathering shaft that this revamped Solo Pro also has.
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
Donnyponny is offline Find More Posts by Donnyponny
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post
Seems to be able to turn on a dime... A major improvement over 260a. Also, helicopter not pulled backward after you release elevator...
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Last edited by gettinglucky; Jan 29, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
Seems to be able to turn on a dime... A major improvement over 260a. Also, helicopter not pulled backward after you release elevator...
My contact at Xtreme called it "very smooth" which seems to be evident from that vid you quoted. Seems to handle even better than a Bravo SX, but also quite zippy in some moments in the vid.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:46 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
My contact at Xtreme called it "very smooth" which seems to be evident from that vid you quoted. Seems to handle even better than a Bravo SX, but also quite zippy in some moments in the vid.
Well, Xtreme got it right. This is one smooth heli for sure!

There are some issues I'll get into later, but these have nothing to do with the design. In short, it handles more neutral than the Bravo SX, I think. Less self correcting, like you give cyclic, the heli starts moving, and then set sticks to zero, and the heli crawls back to where it came from.

Also very quiet, almost as quiet as a GW9958. It also takes off and lands very smoothly, but without tricks like an angled main shaft, as on the 9958 or mSR. I think with a perfect main gear (mine has a few teeth that are not as sharp as the others, and you feel a slight binding as you rotate the blades manually, one of the issues I hinted at on the beginning of this story) it could be even more quiet.

It's impossible to get canopy or tail boom strikes, there is at least a few mm clearance even at maximum deflection angle.

The blades are not as wide, and rectangular shape, so I expect the headspeed to be a little higher than on the Solo Pro V2.

Tail motor appears to be Bravo SX type, not sure about the main motor though. I might be the same as on the V2, or a new type. Climb power was good, but less than on a V2. Tail hold was excellent, hardly needed any trim adjust at all, 1 click or so.

The skids are pin compatible with the V2, so if you want to turn the battery facing backwards, to get your V2 to behave more neutral indoor, at the cost of some forward speed, you can simply use a 270 set of skids.

Battery is the same as the one on the Bravo SX, the BA927, a 150 mAh battery. I didn't fly long on the first flight, so no idea how long it will last, but as the heli is lighter than the Bravo SX, I expect around 6 minutes of airtime.

Receiver is RX-01, but with a black antenna. The servos now have 2 holes in the little plastic part where the control linkage is hooked into, allowing low rates and high rates. Combined with the long and short balls on the swash, and the high/low rates on the TX, this gives 6 possible combinations...

The servo throws though, even in high rates, are limited, the servo's stay at least 4 mm or so from the edge. I don't know if the bundled J4 TX will allow EPA, if not, I might have to resort to the V2 TX to increase throws. I didn't get to test FFF since I flew in the living room, so I'm not sure if the heli needs more throw. It felt less agile than the V2, based on that I would say, increase throw, but it may be that the cyclic response is now more exponential, where the heli will respond docile when making small stick movements, but gets going when movement is increased. I'll have to do outdoor testing to verify that, but currenty the cold outside is preventing flight.


I get a good feeling about this new Solo Pro 270. It feels different than the V2 or Bravo SX, which may be more agile (although we would have to compare with the same amount of servo throw to get a fail comparison) but the 270 handles predictable and smooth.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:00 PM
Team WarpSquad
Daryoon's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,629 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Solo Pro. Definitely sounds like a possible winner on all counts. Do let us know if the 270 can bind to the Solo Pro V2 transmitter. I thought the latest Nine Eagles helis are using a entirely new protocol. That's currently my biggest beef with them and why I don't own their SP 100 3D nor will own the 125 CP heli when that comes out.

I can't wait for parts to become available. Wanna make sure it's not a transitional heli without support like the Solo Pro 100 3D may soon become.

Could you count how many teeth the pinion gear on the main motor has? The Solo Pro has 7. mSR and 9958 both have 8.

Thanks. Looking forward to more of your thoughts as you get more flight time with the 270.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:42 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Thanks for the feedback Solo Pro. Definitely sounds like a possible winner on all counts. Do let us know if the 270 can bind to the Solo Pro V2 transmitter. I thought the latest Nine Eagles helis are using a entirely new protocol. That's currently my biggest beef with them and why I don't own their SP 100 3D nor will own the 125 CP heli when that comes out.

I can't wait for parts to become available. Wanna make sure it's not a transitional heli without support like the Solo Pro 100 3D may soon become.

Could you count how many teeth the pinion gear on the main motor has? The Solo Pro has 7. mSR and 9958 both have 8.

Thanks. Looking forward to more of your thoughts as you get more flight time with the 270.
Pinion is 7 teeth.

I tried to bind the J4 TX to the RX-01 of a Bravo SX, but it refused to bind. Seems like the 270 RX-01 is using a different protocol after all. Looking closer at the board, not only the antenna has a different color, but some components have altered positions. It also doesn't have the take off help aileron mix, of all Solo Pro V1/V2 series RX versions. This heli doesn't need any added aileron for vertical take off and landings, so the mix would actually be counter productive.

The not so perfect main gear seems to be causing some trouble though. Flight times are shorter than expected, a little over 5 minutes, so indentical to the Bravo SX, and the main motor is acting up as a result, because of the uneven loading. Must add though, that despite this, tail hold is very solid, even when punching the throttle. I can't get the tail to swing more than a few degrees.

I've tried to fix the teeth on the main gear, but since it's black, it's hard to spot, and the teeth are tiny.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Team WarpSquad
Daryoon's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,629 Posts
Can you check if the boom is longer than the Solo Pro?

On the v911, the boom is much longer. On throttle punches, the tail holds dead still.

Also, are the main gear interchangeable between the 260 and 270?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Pinion is 7 teeth.

I tried to bind the J4 TX to the RX-01 of a Bravo SX, but it refused to bind. Seems like the 270 RX-01 is using a different protocol after all. Looking closer at the board, not only the antenna has a different color, but some components have altered positions. It also doesn't have the take off help aileron mix, of all Solo Pro V1/V2 series RX versions. This heli doesn't need any added aileron for vertical take off and landings, so the mix would actually be counter productive.

The not so perfect main gear seems to be causing some trouble though. Flight times are shorter than expected, a little over 5 minutes, so indentical to the Bravo SX, and the main motor is acting up as a result, because of the uneven loading. Must add though, that despite this, tail hold is very solid, even when punching the throttle. I can't get the tail to swing more than a few degrees.

I've tried to fix the teeth on the main gear, but since it's black, it's hard to spot, and the teeth are tiny.
The 260A main gear seems to be one of the best gears out theere. I've been using it to solve my V911 gear binding problem. At first, the binding was less noticeable than the stock V911 gear. After over 30 minutes of flight time, binding seems to have gone away...

Since they've used new materials for the 270 main gear, maybe they need some time to iron out a few issues with the gear...
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:19 PM
Registered User
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,783 Posts
SP, I am assuming the 270 will bind to the 328 TX (grey) and the j4 270 tx will bind to the 328/bell 206?
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:42 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Also very quiet, almost as quiet as a GW9958. It also takes off and lands very smoothly, but without tricks like an angled main shaft, as on the 9958 or mSR.
Just curious... Does it come with that gimmicky initial servos movement on throtle up where it tries to help you achieve a vertical take off, but only does the opposite--- mine V2 shot forward on every take off? [So much for straight up verticals...]

Quote:
Receiver is RX-01, but with a black antenna. The servos now have 2 holes in the little plastic part where the control linkage is hooked into, allowing low rates and high rates. Combined with the long and short balls on the swash, and the high/low rates on the TX, this gives 6 possible combinations...
Eh? Come again? Doesn't the V2 already have 2 holes on the servo horn?

Quote:
I didn't get to test FFF since I flew in the living room, so I'm not sure if the heli needs more throw. It felt less agile than the V2, based on that I would say...
Quote:
I get a good feeling about this new Solo Pro 270. It feels different than the V2 or Bravo SX, which may be more agile
Why the contradiction? Or, are you implying V2/SX are more agile than 270?

Overall, I have to say at I rather like the hearing about the straight shaft. I thought that the V2 looked rather weird in the air with the akward angle... Having said all of that, the J-whatisit Tx could use a makeover... Not to sound racist or anything, but if Nine Eagles, with all their profits, could team up with some Japanese engineers/designer to come up with revision 2 of the SP 270 possibly with Bell-Hiller flybar and a redesigned Tx, they would have a kick-ass palm-sized heli in their hand...
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Last edited by gettinglucky; Feb 03, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:01 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Can you check if the boom is longer than the Solo Pro?

On the v911, the boom is much longer. On throttle punches, the tail holds dead still.

Also, are the main gear interchangeable between the 260 and 270?
I'll have to check, at first sight it didn't feel longer, but I think it uses the Bravo SX tail motor, or a similar one.

Edit: checked, the CF part of the tail boom is 11 cm.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
The 260A main gear seems to be one of the best gears out theere. I've been using it to solve my V911 gear binding problem. At first, the binding was less noticeable than the stock V911 gear. After over 30 minutes of flight time, binding seems to have gone away...

Since they've used new materials for the 270 main gear, maybe they need some time to iron out a few issues with the gear...
I've never had main gear problems with my Solo Pro, so I can subscribe to your good experiences with that main gear. One thing though, the gears on the Solo Pro are a little noisy, compared to other competitors like the GW9958. Perhaps that is why NE changed the material or perhaps even the shape of the teeth a little. The gear also has a D-shaped hole for the main shaft, and uses a single long screw through the alu main shaft to secure it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
SP, I am assuming the 270 will bind to the 328 TX (grey) and the j4 270 tx will bind to the 328/bell 206?
Can't tell, I don't have a 328 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
Just curious... Does it come with that gimmicky initial servos movement on throtle up where it tries to help you achieve a vertical take off, but only does the opposite--- mine V2 shot forward on every take off? [So much for straight up verticals...]


Eh? Come again? Doesn't the V2 already have 2 holes on the servo horn?


Why the contradiction? Or, are you implying V2/SX are more agile than 270?

Overall, I have to say at I rather like the hearing about the straight shaft. I thought that the V2 looked rather weird in the air with the akward angle... Having said all of that, the J-whatisit Tx could use a makeover... Not to sound racist or anything, but if Nine Eagles, with all their profits, could team up with some Japanese engineers/designer to come up with revision 2 of the SP 270 possibly with Bell-Hiller flybar and a redesigned Tx, they would have a kick-ass palm-sized heli in their hand...
There is no servo movement on take off, it just takes off quite vertical withhout any tricks.

My V2's don't have 2 holes in the servo horns on the receiver. Perhaps later revisions of the RX-01 have this, but I haven't bought a new receiver or heli recently.

The SX/V2 is more agile. Might be a matter of design, with the different flybar setup. It can't be a matter of weight only, as the SX is the heaviest of the three. It could however also be cuased by the reduced servo throws. Let's say my 270 has the same throw as a V2 on low rates, despite that the J4 is on high rates.

This heli could have been better indeed, but also keep in mind this is just a single unit, and it's performance might not be valid for all. We'll have to wait for more reports to come in. It certainly has some strong points, like the smoothness of control.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; Feb 03, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:30 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,595 Posts
So time for a little recap:


Pros:

- Very solid tail hold, requires hardly any trim during flight, and no tail swing CCW during throttle punch
- Take offs and landings are a breeze, even though it has no "aileron help mix"
- Quiet, noise level somewhere between GW9958 and Solo Pro V2
- Even less "swing back effect" than the Bravo SX, no wobbles
- Very smooth control response, and very solid in hover
- Looks good
- No flybar strikes possible
- Stronger skids, looking very realistic
- Better swash (with ball in the middle, to avoid lateral play) and feathering shaft with dampers


Cons

- Quality control could be better, main gear and servo gear had a few "bad teeth" (hopefully not representative for other units)
- Throttle curve is a little odd, hover at 30% stick instead of 50%
- Servo throw is electronically limited, no EPA adjust on TX, control response less agressive than on Bravo SX/Solo Pro V series
- Piros are better than on the V series, but less "on the spot" than the Bravo SX


As it's currently snowing outside, I can't comment on FFF behavior. I wonder if the limited servo throws, made the FFF speed suffer, or not. And how it handles fast banked turns.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Nine Eagles Solo Pro 100D / Solo Maxx 3D Frank_fjs Micro Helis 1868 Apr 06, 2014 11:41 AM
Build Log neRecv - Solo/Solo Pro TX as HID Joystick or PPM simulator controller kile DIY Electronics 51 Jul 09, 2013 07:36 AM
Discussion Solo Pro or Solo Free Spirit 220a frekin Micro Helis 7 Jun 04, 2011 06:35 PM
Sold Nine Eagles Solo Pro/SOLO/Free Spirit/BRAVO III Battery Charger palomo Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Feb 17, 2010 07:38 PM