Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
That was my hope, but now I'm not 100% sure. Choosing FHSS instead of the more common FASST was a mistake, I think. Not enough Tx using it (both of mine are FASST).

I was told FASST transmitters can control FHSS receivers in FHSS mode, so backwards compatibility. But I can't verify it, as I don't have any recent Futaba stuff, only a few 25 year old FM transmitters.

Btw, it might be nice to switch back to the 270 here, instead of discussing today's best deal for the V911.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I was told FASST transmitters can control FHSS receivers in FHSS mode, so backwards compatibility. But I can't verify it, as I don't have any recent Futaba stuff, only a few 25 year old FM transmitters.
From my online research, the new 18MZ is compatible with FHSS, S-FHSS, FASST and FASSTest. But at this time, none of the existing FASST transmitters can talk to a FHSS RX.

(Guess it's to make people purchase another set of Rx when they upgrade their radio equipment...)

I've scoured the manual for my new 8FGS FASST system, and it doesn't mention FHSS anywhere. Though it's so badly organized, I might have missed it.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying how close?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Helipal.com's Nine Eagles Solo Pro (270A) Parts:

http://www.helipal.com/spare-part_ni...ufa9hr8961s1l5
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post

No flybars...
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:24 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post
Ouch. Looks like it will be cheaper to buy whole helis as spares rather than order parts piecemeal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,022 Posts
I think that would be an option if they release BnF versions. Though, Helipal has always been more expensive than other e-tailers.

Usually MyRCMart and Miracle-Mart have good prices. We'll see once they stock 270a parts.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,273 Posts
Regarding the drawback of having to install a 30$ 260 receiver in this heli in order to get the full potential of it, I have to say, it's totally worth it.

Looking at the design on the old SP or similar design on the V911, these helis simply can't perform like the 270. I've seen the videos. The V911 is zippy but it can't turn left all that well, thanks to the SP260 deficient design.

Now if you look at the price of other 4 channels helis in this size category, what are the options? Walkera? MSR? TRex 100? Did you look at the price tag on them? That's your other options. You can basically buy two SP270 and a replacement SP260 RX for just about the same price... And you get 2 Helis...The MSR has pendulum effect like mad to the point where it's really not all that enjoyable to fly. The Walkera CB100 is too heavy and the gyro can't even begin to compete with the SP 260, let alone the 270, in terms of aggressive maneuvers. Try flying the CB100 like you would the SP270 or 260 for that matter and you are going to kiss the concrete. The tail won't hold. The Trex 100 is just junk. All of these helis are way more expensive both to buy and to repair, as well. So to me, the verdict is a no brainer. The SP 270 is easily the best heli in its category at the moment, and by a long shot. So what if you have to spend 30 bucks for a receiver. Heck, you can buy a SP 260 RTF with it and you're still ahead of the game, in my opinion. Full stop.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,273 Posts
OK... Got the MIA mod done...

As you can see, I did not need to use the upper part of the boom mount. No need on the SP270. In fact, there is no modifications required at all. It's plug and play. No need to install a canopy mount, it fits right onto the stock canopy mount. Also no need to modify the tail boom mount, either, like using part of another frame to make this work. Things line up perfectly with the stock tail boom mount. It's like this mod was made specifically for this heli. Very cool.

I still don't have a replacement flybar but I managed to build a flybar and it's just like stock. Have a look:

I used only the center piece of the SP 270, drilled it out and installed the two ends from a stock SP 260 flybar. Worked perfectly and it was perfectly balanced right off the bat. I'm quite stoked with this because I no longer need to look all over the place for a flybar. Just need to wait until vendors in Hong Kong or Taiwan stock the part, but even then, this one is just as good as stock so I wouldn't replace it until I break it.

I have a flight video uploading for the MIA SP 270 and I will post it soon. As for my review of the mod, I like it a lot. Flies just like the stock SP270 as far as I can tell except it's super cute. Two drawbacks... I don't think it will be as sturdy and durable as the stock setup and it's too heavy. Flight time is about 70% that of the stock setup.

Strangely enough, I tried using 240MAh and 300mAh batteries and they do not perform as well as my 150mAh batteries. The extra capacity doesn't quite make up for the added weight of the heavier batteries. Not even close. I was disappointed with that as I was hoping to run Genius motors with large batteries but that just won't work.

OK, that's all for now. I hope you enjoy the pics and the video.

Best,
Chris

Edit: (video)

Solo Pro 270-MIA S300 mod (5 min 36 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,022 Posts
I am more interested in installing a $13 v911 receiver into the 270a. So I can continue to use my Turnigy 9x.

Chris' points are pretty astute IMHO. However, I find the 260 can turn left ok. It just flybar strikes like crazy at extreme sports flying that kills me.

The mSR on the other hand, can not turn left at all during FFF. I have two so it can't be the heli. But I am still hoping it is. Because I can't reason why it was so popular with this defect. Perhaps not enough American know about the chinese micro helis. Besides, it's discontinued at the moment so I wouldn't suggest getting one unless you find a really good deal.

The v911 is not a perfect copy of the 260. Though they did improve on some parts like the super extended, thicker tail boom. However, it enjoys a good following at the moment. The package for the price is decent. Once prices start creeping up, I would suggest newbies look elsewhere.

All said, the 270a looks attractive and seems like it has good performance. I am perplexed by NE's decision to limit the servo throws. Perhaps they forgot to program the endpoints into the new TX. For example, binding a Turnigy 9x w/stock firmware to a 9958 limits the servo throw. You're in beginner mode until you move the end points. The er9x replacement firmware does not suffer this problem. Perhaps Nine Eagles forgot to do the same with their new TX (J5, J6)?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,914 Posts
Bobepine, great mod! Very interesting to hear the MIA kit is a direct fit on the SP 270 frame, very good news indeed. Those 240 mAh batteries, are those the Hyperions? Donaldsneffe reported these to be much better on his MIA Bravo SX, after trying Zippys first.

I fully agree with you, the 270's airframe/head setup seems to be the best currently available. The 45 degree offset head of the mSR and 9958 does offer better wind fight options, but looking at the overall picture of a mix of agility, speed and handling, the 270 strikes a very nice balance.

@Daryoon: I do get the impression they misprogrammed the throws. The high rate travel on the 270 is about the same as the low rate travel on the 260. I'm still hoping that soon a hidden adjustment procedure gets unveiled, just like on the 260. That wasn't known at first too.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,273 Posts
Quote:
I am more interested in installing a $13 v911 receiver into the 270a. So I can continue to use my Turnigy 9x.
I think this would be a very interesting project, indeed. Maybe a better option for those who own this transmitter and definitely more economical at 13$. That's cheap! And I bet it would perform quite well.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:59 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,022 Posts
Chris: Yeah, the higher capacity will add weight. So those cells will also have to offer better voltage throughout the discharge curve to offset the added weight.

See the chart for an example:

SoloPro: Hopefully you are right. Even on the RTF mSR type transmitter. If you hold the stick a certain way while powering up, you can enable various functions. The DX4e and DX5e had hidden expo settings that didn't surface until the manufacturer released a new model that required it. And thus, buried in that new product's manual, was the procedure to enable Expo.

So we can only hope with NE and their new TX. I don't know why they are trying to shoot themselves in the foot by limiting the servo throw. The would definitely get people like me who's on the fence.

However, I'd likely buy one once I see what the parts situation is like. I don't want an intermediate heli from NE, that gets dropped as soon as a flybarless version arrives. Otherwise, it looks like a nice heli by everyone's account here.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,273 Posts
Quote:
Those 240 mAh batteries, are those the Hyperions? Donaldsneffe reported these to be much better on his MIA Bravo SX, after trying Zippys first.
Yes. And I also tried 300mAh brand new batteries that have move oumff than the hyperions and it's a no go. Weird, eh? I did not covert the heli to micro deans(My hyperions have deans on them) as I just wanted to try first. So I made an adapter for them. Maybe that's where I'm losing power? Double plugs back to back. I'm not sure. I guess I'd have to install a dean plug on the heli or a eflite plug on a battery to try it without the adapter to rule that out.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Chris: Yeah, the higher capacity will add weight. So those cells will also have to offer better voltage throughout the discharge curve to offset the added weight.

See the chart for an example:

SoloPro: Hopefully you are right. Even on the RTF mSR type transmitter. If you hold the stick a certain way while powering up, you can enable various functions. The DX4e and DX5e had hidden expo settings that didn't surface until the manufacturer released a new model that required it. And thus, buried in that new product's manual, was the procedure to enable Expo.

So we can only hope with NE and their new TX. I don't know why they are trying to shoot themselves in the foot by limiting the servo throw. The would definitely get people like me who's on the fence.

However, I'd likely buy one once I see what the parts situation is like. I don't want an intermediate heli from NE, that gets dropped as soon as a flybarless version arrives. Otherwise, it looks like a nice heli by everyone's account here.
Interesting graph. These V911 batteries are good! Surprisingly, the hyperions are also good, yet my 240mAh ones don't cut it. I must be losing current somewhere. I'll try without the adapter when I get a chance, probably tomorrow as I have the day off. It's really weird. I get 3 solid minutes of 3D flying with very high headspeed with the 240mAh hyperions, yet, it's hard to get 3 minutes out of them on my SP 270.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
OK... Got the MIA mod done...
Alright, now this would count as "different enough" to get a SP270.
RCG Plus Member