Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:36 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
Downtown Chicago

It's been a while since I posted anything here - haven't had the weather or the opportunity to get the camera into the air. Today I had the chance to take a few pictures that have been on my to do list for a few months.

Equipment:
Stock Slow Stick
2S2P Qualcomm 830 mAH Li-Ion
Aiptek SD w 64Mb memory
Wild Moose switch

Weather & Time:
Flights started around 7:30 am
Wind was from the southeast and at altitude was about equal to the SS airspeed. This made it somewhat difficult to get all the shots I wanted. Most of the time I had the plane pointed into the wind and climbing for altitude. Winds from the north or south would have had the plane in a better orientation. Most of the pictures that I took were at full throttle.

Processing:
Obviously the pictures have been reduced in size to fit file requirements. I use Microsoft Photo Editor. A few of the pictures also had a weak sharpen effect added.

I took off from the parking lot just southwest of the Adler planetarium. Landings were made in the grass picnic area east of the parking lot. I was directly north of Meigs field.

The following picture is looking directly north from my position. Off in the distance is Navy Pier and in the lower right corner is the Adler Planetarium. Part of Chicago Harbor can be seen toward the left.
L Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by L Jenkins
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:38 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
McCormick Place and the Annex is pretty much centered in this photo. I believe the circular structure toward the lower right is a parking garage. That's Burnham Harbor on the left side. This view is toward the SSW.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:38 PM
Where's the CA?
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2003
727 Posts
WOW, that's some really nice work there. Good job.

It's stuff like this that proves why Unmanned Recon Drones are so useful.
Mindblade is offline Find More Posts by Mindblade
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:41 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
Thanks Mindblade.

This picture shows the remains of the Meigs Field airport. In a surprise move early in the summer, Mayor Daley ordered heavy equipment to carve X's in the runway during the middle of the night. This rendered the runway unusable and most (all?) of the planes stranded there had to use the taxiway to fly out. The stated rationale for closing the airport was homeland security. Obviously this is also some prime real estate. I'm glad I got this picture before all evidence of the airport is gone. Burnham Park harbor is toward the right.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:43 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
This somewhat low altitude picture has the Shedd Aquarium in the lower left. The Sears Tower is the tallest dark building with twin antennae on the left. The Standard Oil building is the tall white tower toward the right. That's Chicago Harbor again where the boats are docked. Looking towards northwest.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:45 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
Here's a higher altitude shot showing the Sears Tower and the Shedd Aquarium. The Field Museum is to the left of the Shedd Aquarium. The green area with the light brown patches which is centered and toward the right of the picture is Grant Park. I don't know what the light brown patches are used for (volleyball?).
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:49 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
This picture shows the remains of a flying saucer that crashed into Memorial Stadium/Soldier Field. Just kidding! Actually many people refer to this as the newly renovated Memorial Stadium. A lot of other people refer to this as a boondoggle. This is WSW of my position.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:52 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
Final Shot.

The Standard Oil building is centered in this shot with Chicago Harbor in the foreground. I hope that in the not too distant future I'll be able to return and take some panoramas. (Need to get brushless power, need to get CCD, need to win lottery!)
Old Sep 21, 2003, 06:56 PM
Where's the CA?
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2003
727 Posts
Awesome stuff. I'd take similar pics of New York City but I'm sure the National Defense radar would pick it up and scamble the F-16s.

Just kidding...but I cant think of any good place to fly from. Plus looking at the skyline and not seeing the WTC still leaves a crappy feeling in me. :/

Edit: Can you post some pics/details about how you set up the camera? After seeing these shots it seems like a lower cost (in comparison) to the full-size cameras, plus if something happened I'd feel a lot worse about losing a $400 digicam then a $70 one.
Mindblade is offline Find More Posts by Mindblade
Last edited by Mindblade; Sep 21, 2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 07:04 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Great subjects you have there. It looks like billions of $ spent just on making things look good.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Sep 21, 2003, 07:31 PM
Green Bay, WI
Joined Dec 2000
433 Posts
Awsome pictures! They would make nice postcards. Really impressed with the number of boats still in the water.
Ed Mc
rccrashed is offline Find More Posts by rccrashed
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:06 PM
Rochester, MN
Joined Jul 2003
562 Posts
These are really awesome pictures. I need a skyline like that.

Mike
mike50 is offline Find More Posts by mike50
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:52 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Wow! Those are ultrafantastic!

Best cityscapes I've seen posted here.

Very very good photos, you've got it figured out.

Thanks for the Meigs field photo, before I got to it I was thinking of asking you to take some shots of that area!
UnbeLIEVable what the mayor did, very strange.

I guess Microsoft "Flight Simulator" will have to stop using Meigs field as the "home" airport!

Thanks for the GREAT photos.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:24 PM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Just a side note, I had been following the Meigs Field saga last year and thought it was saved. VERY disappointed to see its gone. I was hoping to some day get to the USA and go to Chicago just to fly out of Meigs. Bummer dude.

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Sep 22, 2003, 06:19 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
1,284 Posts
Fantastic series. Pity to see the downtown airport gone.

David
Ironsides is offline Find More Posts by Ironsides