Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by GooberSB, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:50 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
Discussion
Can I fly it?

Went to the park today and flew my Champ, UM Polecat, and Mini Slinger wing. The conditions were just right.

I've read in the Polecat thread that the rudder doesn't turn the Polecat but that's absolutely untrue. I practiced turns using the rudder with a little up elevator, rudder and ailerons coordinated, and rudder only. At first my low rate for rudder was 60% but I gradually increased it until I got what I wanted. The final low rate for rudder = 90%, aileron=45%, elevator = 80%. Now it flies like a trainer haha. I'm flying it better than my Airfield T-28.

Anyway, while I was flying the Mini Slinger (it makes more noise than my scratchbuilt wings) a group of young children came over to watch. They looked to be from 4-8 yrs old. The oldest was a boy and he watched as I moved the sticks around. eventually came the dreaded question "Can I fly it?"

He had been very nice, observant, quiet, and not the slightest bit distracting - but I had to say no. I tried to be as nice as I could by reminding him that it's not easy to do and even dangerous. And I added that if he crashed it would cost me a lot of money. He was satisfied with that and didn't ask again. I do wish he could have though.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:59 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Yea, hard to say no to something like that. Never had that happen but if you're nice enough you could let someone try a champ over grass.
UltraMicro is offline Find More Posts by UltraMicro
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:06 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
617 Posts
I usually tell em to scram...lol.... no just kidding. Where I fly is a water park and we have onlookers all the time. When they ask me I say sure let me see your ama card and club card and you can fly... that works for me.
Barney Boy is offline Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Crabtree Park Dundee Or.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:47 AM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
I've read too many posts here on RCG where people hand the Tx over to someone who then proceeds to crash the plane and run away... Am I willing to risk my investment to satisfiy someone else's curiosity?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:35 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
i'm not. its my plane and i know WHEN they crash it I will paying for it!
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:13 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
I have been in the past but I'm afraid my luck will run out.