HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2003, 03:32 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
M60 mild DSing video

Jeff and I flew our M60's in a new spot yesterday for the first time. Pretty amazing place. 50-80 foot vertical rocky cliffs at the top of a slope that's overall 1150 feet high and averages just a tick under 45 degrees the whole way.
Here's a short video showing a 180 degree pan of the NW face we flew.
http://www.houseofthud.com/videos/mtzionNW-pan.avi
(DiVX codec required)

Anyway.. we shot about 20 minutes of video between the both of us. I'm still trying to figure out how to put together a moderate sized video of the highlights because basically the whole thing was a highlight.. but I did manage to clip out 3 minutes of easy DS turns for their own little video.
http://www.houseofthud.com/videos/mtzionNW-DS2.avi
A couple things to keep in mind here.
1. First time flying this slope from this direction, and it's a pretty intimidating place to fly.
2. First time DSing this slope from this direction
3. First time dropping the M60 over any backside with ballast..

So I wasn't pushing it anywhere near as hard as I'm sure it's capable of. Prior to this I'd tested the air with my 17oz Moth and it came back from the backside pretty hot, so I think all I need to do with the M60 is tighten up the turns and she'll rip. The DS groove was silky smooth. Best I've ever flown. I figure it was probably only cruising along at about 75-85mph though. Looking forward to cranking it up cranking it up again soon.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:51 AM
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Jul 2003
116 Posts
WOW! The energy retention of that thing is amazing-thought you were going to loose it in the clouds
Fledermaus is offline Find More Posts by Fledermaus
Old Sep 22, 2003, 04:06 PM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Broomfield Jeffco, Colorado, United States
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Crap. Now I gotta drive down to Golden again.

Very nice, Ian. BTW, got my M60 today.

Pete
Pete-O is offline Find More Posts by Pete-O
Old Sep 22, 2003, 04:42 PM
Littleton, Colorado
Joined Oct 2002
525 Posts
It will be worth the drive Pete. You will have to drive past the Power Lines though. Other than the fact that both places take NW, there is absolutely no comparison.

Itís amazing how much adrenaline your body can produce just by watching a plane and moving your fingers a bit.
flyswithumb is offline Find More Posts by flyswithumb
Old Sep 22, 2003, 06:28 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j l
Itís amazing how much adrenaline your body can produce just by watching a plane and moving your fingers a bit.
No doubt. I tested the air up there with the Moth, and was unable to land it on the backside without just banging it straight into the ground. Not to be dissuaded with a 20mph wind blowing, I ballasted up the M60 and threw it off this shear drop, having not yet decided how I was going to land it. I flew for 15-20 minutes mixing front and back sides, and by then was seriously in need of a break. Jeff was filming and watching, and since the landing problem hadn't been solved yet, he wasn't ready to throw his M60 over the edge yet (only its 3rd flight).

So killing two birds with one stone, I handed my TX to Jeff and he flew my M60, while I took a break and filmed it. Bout halfway through his flight, I finally figured out how we could land (walk down to the north end of the ridge, and land on the "side" of the hill above the paraglider launch). Few minutes later, I took the stick back, and of course my TX batteries konked out just then, so the landing choice had to be tested immediately. I got a bit impatient trying to get it down fast (that damn beeping on the TX does that to ya) and went too far back and dorked it in the rotor, but we proved that it was possible to scrub off the necessary altitude and groundspeed if you just stayed out directly north of the end of the ridge doing S-turns without letting it fall back too far.

By the time I had fetched my glider and made it back to the top Jeff had tossed his off. Filmed that for a while, and then he too, got worn out dreaming up new aerobatic maneuvers and tried out the landing approach and pretty much nailed it.

So now we know what to expect in terms of lift, and how to get it back on the ground in one piece so the site is definitely a winner. Rates a 10 out of 10 for frontside lift.. 8-10 out of 10 for DS for being so smooth (just need to push more to know what it's ultimately capable of) and about a 6 out of 10 for landing, due to the tricky, but doable approach. Will have to land the M60 up there a bunch more times before deciding if it'd ever be realistic to fly a crunchie off the top. 5 out of 10 for ease of access. Park in the normal spot below the M and it's a hike, up 300 feet vertically, to the top.
Totally worth it though.

Working on some more videos.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:10 AM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Ian, that is one pretty slope. I think your scenery rivals that of Brian C. for the best slope backdrop around.

The M60 looks mighty impressive, nice carry to the frontside with that thing. It seems to REALLY retain energy well. I couldn't believe the punchout height you were getting with the relatively mellow turns. I think the M60 is next on my list.

If you need space/bandwidth for video you can get free webhosting at RCGroups currently. It starts at 300mb of space and 1GB/month transfer but they will up the quota as needed apparently. Just thought I'd mention it.

http://rcgroups.com/pages/webmasters/

Thanks for sharing the video, I hope to get to CO someday.

Jason
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
Old Sep 23, 2003, 03:02 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.
I've actually got a 360 degree pan I stitched together some time ago shot from pretty much the same location. (Bout 20 yards north of where we flew)
http://www.houseofthud.com/rc/zion-pan4-2.jpg
Couldn't reach down into the valley with that one, but it shows off the scenery. It starts pointing South at Lookout Mountain (lump on the horizon at the far left is Green Mountain), Clear Creek Canyon drops off straight to the west, windsock (put there by the paragliders) directly to the north (in front of North Table Mountain), Coors Brewery nestled between North and South Table Mountains.. and just on the right edge of the south mesa out about 10 miles is the Denver skyline almost due East.

I may check out the hosting on rcgroups for the R/C videos.
Between my car videos, R/C videos, photos, and misc other stuff, my website sees 14-20 Gigabytes of traffic per month. 50 downloads of a 20 Meg video (about 4 1/2 minutes) will eat up a Gig of bandwidth, just like that.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:19 AM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Ug. Now I really want to go and see this. I should have time for this around Christmas, I suppose.

BTW, who's selling solartex online? I need some black.

Pete
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:49 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
Dunno about online, but Action R/C at Colfax and Carr sells Solartex. Picked up a roll of black the other day to cover my M60 fuse after I dorked it in the rotor.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:52 AM
Lake San Marcos, CA
Joined Jun 2002
191 Posts
Hey Pete...

Balsa USA sells it now... http://www.balsausa.com/coverings/

Great stuff!!!

~d~
Derek Choice is offline Find More Posts by Derek Choice
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:13 PM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Hold on there...Somebody told me that Action was closing. Did you see anything to suggest that?

And thanks, Derek. If the local place isn't still open, I'll go there.

Pete
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:59 PM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
OK, I got the skinny on Action Hobbies. Apparently, Glen's looking to retire. They're currently on a one year lease and possibly looking to sell, but they're not closing the doors next week.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:06 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
Man, I don't want to hear that. There's nothing else in the area even remotely close to Action. Only LHS that sells a selection of micro servos and gear sets, micro receivers and crystals, every type of covering material, *gliders*, glass cloth, carbon tow, glue's galore and all at prices fairly competitive with what I can get stuff for online.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:10 PM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Well, with some cash you could be your own boss...

BTW, what are you guys using for control rod fairings? I spelt that rong, dint i?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:19 PM
Littleton, Colorado
Joined Oct 2002
525 Posts
This is where I got mine
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servomount.htm
flyswithumb is offline Find More Posts by flyswithumb