HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:41 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
475 Posts
I would have to nominate the Aspire EP electric sailplane. It used a can motor, about 2 pounds of nicads and a servo activated switch for motor control (no esc). It had a folding prop, but no brake, so the prop turned into a very effective drag device when you switched the motor off.

It would only climb for the first half of the motor run. I never got it higher than an upstart would launch any other 2 meter ship.

If you pulled the electric power stuff out and put in a towhook, it turned into a decent sailplane. In it’s electric form it was a total dud. The sad part was that it was sold as a training sailplane for beginner pilots, a mission it was totally unfit for.

My opinion of the Radian is that it is an excellent first sailplane or spare sport flyer, especially having suffering through an Aspire EP. It goes up nicely under power, it's light enough to thermal well, it has decent handling and it's quite affordable.
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,712 Posts
Hey Tony, I did the same thing with my Espire, once I got rid of the motor system it flew well as a pure glider. A friend put a modern motor and battery pack in his and it doubled the climb performance but he dusted it in by doing some real violent manuver's at altitude. But it really wasn't built for that kind of thing's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:04 AM
can ya do that??...
California
Joined Jan 2004
528 Posts
House of Balsa 2x2.
Ply fuse, pod and boom looking thing but engineered so poorly they didn't consider the mass of the tail conglomeration at the back. Would twist right off in a bad landing.
Flat center section wing with a dowel leading edge, weighed a ton, poor die-cutting.

the horror

the horror
electroboy is offline Find More Posts by electroboy
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
367 Posts
A local hobby shop was going out of bussines about a year ago and had an unflown Bob Martin Coyote hanging up really cheap. I couldn't resist the price. What a dog. It takes a ton of lift to fly and a B52 could roll faster.
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroboy View Post
House of Balsa 2x2.
Ply fuse, pod and boom looking thing but engineered so poorly they didn't consider the mass of the tail conglomeration at the back. Would twist right off in a bad landing.
Flat center section wing with a dowel leading edge, weighed a ton, poor die-cutting.

the horror

the horror
I had one of those. Got my first 1 hr flight on it. I've flown worse.
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,686 Posts
Well, this is probably too old for most of you to remember but the worst glider kit I ever saw would have to be the Titan 120 by Terryplane.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,770 Posts
Shuttle... Flew well... but GAWD it's ugly!!! Cecil was a good friend... I hope he'll forgive me...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
Hi Guys,

I've only been in the hobby for 8 yrs, so my experience is limited. I had a glider called a Kelly. It was a dihedril wing. It tip stalled real easy. I finally got so tired of that stuff, I cut off the wing tips, added 6" to each side and made it a poly wing. It solved the problem. I bought only poly wing planes after that.

Bob in Seattle
Bob,seriously,you had trouble with the Kelly?

Don't know what I like best about this thread,the plane stories or the guys having problems with planes I have either personally flown or observed being flown successfully
Makes a fellow wonder about preflight,alignment,balance, yada yada.
Skies.
Jay.
Oh, I hated the foamy Spirit of '76.Learned about stiffness (or lack of) tail volume.It was missing some 1/8" x 48" pine or spruce stock,girl on the phone (Tower IIRC) said 'are you sure? are you sure?' They finally mailed it to me
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:07 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,727 Posts
Most of what the Hobie Hawk proponents have said reinforces my submission of the HH to this list. They all say it has to be flow its way or nothing. Once you understand how it wants to fly it flys great. A GOOD FLYING glider does not need to be flow ONE WAY. The Hobie Hawk has a very narrow flight envelope and as long as you keep in inside the window it does OK however its a small window. Its not the worst glider on this list by far but it does belong on the list IMHO (flame jacket on)
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:40 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn in NorCal View Post
A local hobby shop was going out of bussines about a year ago and had an unflown Bob Martin Coyote hanging up really cheap. I couldn't resist the price. What a dog. It takes a ton of lift to fly and a B52 could roll faster.
I purchased a new Bob Martin Coyote soon after they first came out. An attractive looking glider whose flying performance was quite disappointing. I could fling a glazed do-nut off the slope and have it perform better than the Coyote.
JDParker is offline Find More Posts by JDParker
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGambler View Post
I also remember owning a Bob Smith fully glassed bird ... had glass over foam and cambered wings.

it was T-Tailed and a handful to fly ... I was too young and inexperienced ... I would love to buy that plane today.

Hey, this tread is about the WORST planes, not the best

Gambler
Seabreeze.

A friend of mine had one, was a handful to launch, but for the time, flew well once off of tow. I have the remains of his still in my shop, would love to find a wing panel for it. I recently picked one up NIB and its at a shop waiting a nice paint job now... hopefully next year I can get it in the air.

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:18 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg View Post
Well, this is probably too old for most of you to remember but the worst glider kit I ever saw would have to be the Titan 120 by Terryplane.
I had a full kit and a wing kit at one time, took forever to sell CHEAP!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:41 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
worst? anything made of foam.
for thermals / duration.... anything at 2oz/sqft for a 2m or 3oz/sqft for 3m is doing good. anything over... overbuilt pig.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Last edited by Toysrme; Oct 25, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:49 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDParker View Post
I could fling a glazed do-nut off the slope and have it perform better than the Coyote.
LMAO that struck me funny bone...
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:05 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,664 Posts
Iím a big fan of worst of. They call Alabama Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke