HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Cris Craft 1949 Racing Runabout Build thread

After nearly 3 decades of modeling airplanes, cars and helicopters… I thought it was time to build a boat. And if you are going to build a boat why not start with the Holy Grail itself… The Dumas Cris Craft 1949 Racing Runabout…
I was smart enough to purchase Patrick Mathews “Mahogany in Scale”… In my opinion a must for the 1st time scale mahogany builder. It’s the next best thing to having a pro looking over your shoulder.

I will be using the suggested motor set up with a 2 cell lipo and will be pulling an RC car speed control out of a “Traxxas Rustler” to control the motor. I wish I could use the “Period, Soviet Boat Motor” pictured bellow. The price back in the 80’s was 3 rubles 15 kopeks… That’s about 10 cents today… I thought it would add “flavor” to the model… But at 3 volts and 2200 rpms I think it will simply “putt around” pathetically.

Here is what has been accomplished within the past ½ hour. Waiting for the glue to dry… (Elmers Wood Max Waterproof)

Please feel free to chime in with correction, ideas and encouragement!
Mike-A is offline Find More Posts by Mike-A
Last edited by Mike-A; Oct 24, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:57 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,429 Posts
The Soviets had model boats? Who knew! We could have had "model boat détente"!

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Ill tell you what Patrick If you think you could use one or if you have a "static display" area at home... PM me your mailing address and I will mail you one of these gems. (I have 2) I bought them about 15 years ago when I lived in Russia. They may have value they may not. But THEY ARE COOL! I only ask that if you start a build thread based on this motor you pm me so I can follow the build!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,429 Posts
Thanks, it's tempting... but I just don't have any projects on the horizon that would do them justice!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:38 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Finished cementing the frames in place. I must say that the build is not hard; however… I got a VERY bad sheet of die cut parts. The sheet with the front formers was cut about 75% through and I had to carefully cut through the plywood with an exacto… EVEN with care a managed to get a couple mangled pieces.

Photos are below… I may put is some reinforcement strips over the pieces that are missing some ply…

Waiting for the glue to dry…
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Butterfly keel in place and chines going on... This will be a fast build. I have the time, just need to wait for the glue to dry!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:30 PM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Chines in place ready for bottom planks.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:09 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Side planking going on. And then I realize I made a mistake! My transom does not have the proper angle! I must have moved it as I was glueing the butterfly keel picture bellow... Not to worry, Ill add some wood before I plank it. No one would ever know
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:27 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
673 Posts
I don't remember for sure when I built mine, but I wouldn't rely on the shape of the sintra planking. As I recall I had to trim the edges quite a bit after it was glued on.

In a nutshell, I'd trust the angle of the plywood transom more than the aft edge of the planking.

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Last edited by poltergeist; Oct 26, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:45 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
Kevin, Thanks for the tip. However I did check the angle with the gage. It's off. Not the same amount as the Sintra but enough to warrant repair. I am not sure how she will plane if the transom is off angle. Maybe (since it is an inboard) there would be no effect at all?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:55 AM
Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
821 Posts
QUESTION...
Here is a question for those of you who have already built your Cris Craft.
When joining the side sintra planks to the bottom sintra planks There was quite an uneven fit. I had to cut away a lot of the bottom plank and then bevel the snot out of it. Even then I will have to fill in a large gap with bondo... I am confident that I can make a good "end result" but is this normal? what was someone elses experience with planking the hull with sintra?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,085 Posts
It's been a while since I've built a Dumas runabout, but if I recall correctly, you need to fair everything as you go along. Take away & fill where needed. At this point your a making the foundation for the mahogany, the better the foundation, the better the mahogany will go down.
CA glue, with a kicker, will help too. Actually, it's a must when using the Sintra.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:43 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
673 Posts
As I recall, I had a tough time fitting the forward side sections of sintra with the bottom panels along the chine. Did the best I could for fit and faired the entire chine and seam between the side panels with West System and #410 Microlight fairing compound additive.

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:38 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined May 2011
47 Posts
I too had a heck of a time with the Sintra and was perplexed that there was no mention of these difficulties in other builds. Just be patient and do the fairing and beveling that is needed like you said. It will end up looking just fine. Frustrating to work with is all.
qualls6 is offline Find More Posts by qualls6
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:24 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Get the frame as straight and as even as you can then once the Sintra is on take a palm sander to it to even it all out, you will be doing this again to the Mahogany planking. For me it was amazing how horrible it would look initially and then after a good solid sanding she somehow all came together. I don’t know what your top coat will be but expect the same if you choose epoxy, basically sand till she looks pretty and the way you want her to.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal