HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:47 AM
Hex
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Poll
DJI WKM vs HoverFly Pro+GPS

I want to make a poll between these two well known platform for Aerial Photography and Video. The DJI WKM versus HoverFly Pro+GPS.

Category was intended only for Aerial Photography and Video. Please no acrobatic,flips..FPV comments. We just wanted to see who wins the battle for best flying robots for use in Aerial Filming.

Please Quote your Vote according to this format.

DJI WKM: 1

HoverFly Pro+GPS: 1

Enjoy & Please vote.
Hex is offline Find More Posts by Hex
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:08 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,069 Posts
You wont get many voters as I doubt there are many who own both and have used them both for AP. I think RallyMatt has both. For someone to vote accurately they should own both and have used them both for AP. Think so far thats none. I have the WKM and a HF Pro but dont plan on getting GPS for the HF Pro and have not even set it up yet. I would say if you wait and do the poll in a few months or so there will be more who own both and used both for AP.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,487 Posts
Yep, sorry, you are going to have to do your own research. This will be a very biased poll. If you have a DJI, then the DJI is the best in the world. If you have a HF Pro GPS, then it is the best in the world. Like Tony says, there will be very few who have both. What you need to do is read each units threads, get a feel for how each performs. And then decide based on your own needs which one will best suit you.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
I have both

(3 HF Pros, 3 DJI right now) All heavy platforms, mostly Y6's, 1 quad, and one REALLY big Y6.

I have used both on a number of pro shoots. I often use both on one shoot.

The DJI is very stable (flight!), GPS works excellent. It is easier to setup. (but not that much) It wobbles more no matter what I do. GPS mode is not ideal for shooting video. The ATT mode is better.

The Hoverfly I can make natively smoother by a little bit. Auto level works good, but is not as precise as DJI. It is better in the wind since it does not want to correct so much. I can't make the DJI stop correcting and therefore wobbling as much. But I have gotten it pretty good in most situations.

It seems sometimes I get better YAW hold from the HF Pro on the big frames. But the DJI is very good too.

Hoverfly Support listens to you. DJI people tell you that you are wrong and your ESC's are underrated for your motors and ignores your information.... (hot esc BECS, Arming, etc.) and then fixes the problem later.

I'm not going to vote because things are not that black and white. Honestly, you should probably get both, and an MK.

Cliffs: DJI = Very stable, very locked in. Lets me get shots that were impossible 6 months ago.

HF Pro = A touch more stable. Better support.
rallymatt is offline Find More Posts by rallymatt
Last edited by rallymatt; Oct 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:21 PM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Got beat to it, actually wanted the same comparison/observation.
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:28 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Just a quick assessment, I have both a H/F Pro and now a pair of DJI plus a pair of Mk hexa. IMO the DJI wins, absolutely no question in my mind. Saturday I did the first RTH and autoland with one of my DJI, it landed easily less than 1 meter from where it took off, neither H/F or MK can duplicate that.

Camera gimbal stabilization, I've used a Photohigher AV130 with all three of the F/C I mentioned and a couple others with the H/F and MK. For accuracy of roll and tilt compensation I rate them as DJI the best, MK next, and H/F last.

Altitude hold, again DJI wins. I've never used another flight controller that can hold altitude and NOT move up or down even in windy conditions. Given a large enough gust of wind it can take the lift out from under the DJI multi which will of course cause it to drop a bit in altitude but it takes a pretty strong gust and then the DJI rises back to where it was. Mk has the option to have fixed altitude hold vs the variable of the DJI and there are times it fits the situation but the best the MK can do is stay within a meter or so of where you want it to sit although the vario mode works almost as well as DJI. Neither of my MK have ever had the precision of the DJI for overall altitude hold. As for the Hoverfly, I've never had any real success with their version of altitude hold, variation was always measured in multiple meters in both directions. I've heard its better with their GPS board but I have no plans to but the GPS so I can't say if that's true or not.

GPS, I have to say Mk wins on features but the DJI wins on accuracy. There will soon be a release of he waypoint software/hardware for DJI, it will be interesting to see how the capabilites compare to MK. Again I don't have a H/F GPS so I only know what I've read from others in the H/F forum so I can't really comment on how well it works.

Overall the DJI is the easiest to use for APV by a wide margin compared to either H/F or MK. The Mk has more features and is more "mature" with more included capabilites, H/F until recently has been just the flight controller with the GPS a very recent release. In terms of $ the DJI and MK are comparable, within a small variation depending on the number of motors requiring expensive MK BL controllers. The H/F with GPS is about $200 less than either of the other two not including motors and ESCs.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,401 Posts
I have the HFP, FY91Q and DJI and it is no contest the DJI beats the others in all ways. The best part is the DJI has a better setup program with more controls and tuning such as the motor mix table.

Some of you may say who needs a motor mix table?. Look at the Hoverfly forum, lots of people with Y6 vehicles have asked for faster props on the bottom to help efficiency. With the motor mix table in DJI it is in the users control so you can easily speed up the lower motors as I have done.

The HFP is too closed in my opinion. many people have asked for advanced controls but never got them.

In addition the DJI doesn't look like a kit with naked boards. Like the 91Q the DJI is fully enclosed in a very neat and professional looking package. The enclosure reduces the chance of damage and short when crashed.

Hoverfly needs to seriously step up their game if they want to stay competitive. One area they could win is waypoint navigation for free or very little money. There is no doubt that when DJI releases waypoint nav it is going to be relatively expensive.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:32 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
I have the HFP, FY91Q and DJI and it is no contest the DJI beats the others in all ways. The best part is the DJI has a better setup program with more controls and tuning such as the motor mix table.

Some of you may say who needs a motor mix table?. Look at the Hoverfly forum, lots of people with Y6 vehicles have asked for faster props on the bottom to help efficiency. With the motor mix table in DJI it is in the users control so you can easily speed up the lower motors as I have done.

The HFP is too closed in my opinion. many people have asked for advanced controls but never got them.

In addition the DJI doesn't look like a kit with naked boards. Like the 91Q the DJI is fully enclosed in a very neat and professional looking package. The enclosure reduces the chance of damage and short when crashed.

Hoverfly needs to seriously step up their game if they want to stay competitive. One area they could win is waypoint navigation for free or very little money. There is no doubt that when DJI releases waypoint nav it is going to be relatively expensive.
good assessment. I have both HFP and WKM and I share most of your thinkin.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hex
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Ok guys, TBH i own 2 DJI WKM. But leaning forward to do research and need some comments, like "RTRyder,rallymatt,milo12" did on their H/F Pro.
I heard and read some other forums that H/F Pro has a good results on APV,that's why this topic was posted.

APV popularity is going bigger and bigger,now i have plans to build a shop and carries APV stuff'..etc Now im doing my research on which on these 2 machines will be need to stocked more.
Hex is offline Find More Posts by Hex
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
This is an awesome thread, lots of great info from guys walking the walk.
Thanks
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:16 PM
North Lake Tahoe
Joined Nov 2009
598 Posts
I am a hoverfly pilot and have been since back when it was Quadpowered. It has been a long road, but I have not purchased a DJI yet because the hoverfly is working as good as anything on the market when it comes to smooth flight. Like all of the flight control boards, it is still lacking smooth Camera Stabilization integration. (it is slow). But i have not seen any other board that is better. I am sure I will get a DJI at some point but hope the Picloc 3 will take away the need to depend on the flight control boards for camera stabilization. I actually just built an 800mm single rotor heli to fill the gap that my multi-rotors can't cover. I am sure I will be getting a DJI soon as well.
tahoelight is offline Find More Posts by tahoelight
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:16 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,199 Posts
Hello!!
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
hey``! gus
lqdiy is offline Find More Posts by lqdiy
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:02 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2010
617 Posts
DJI WKM Hands down....
mmalik4 is offline Find More Posts by mmalik4
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
I want to make a poll between these two well known platform for Aerial Photography and Video. The DJI WKM versus HoverFly Pro+GPS.

Category was intended only for Aerial Photography and Video. Please no acrobatic,flips..FPV comments. We just wanted to see who wins the battle for best flying robots for use in Aerial Filming.

Please Quote your Vote according to this format.

DJI WKM: 1

HoverFly Pro+GPS: 1

Enjoy & Please vote.

i know you did not include MK in this poll but i like to know if MK is better than these 2 or worst than these 2, therefore you did not include in this poll? thank you.
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita