HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
France, PACA, Aix-en-Provence
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Hi everyone!

Here is an add on-test, no calibration after a pack change.

Video is shot @ 30fps 1080p on a GoPro HD2 to see the stability.

A few wobbeling, 60fps is definitely better to cancel vibration but it was not too bad!!!

9" props are way better for me!!!

gain is @ 3 on the board according to this picture:

and @ 7.4 in Protool.

The quad is 40cm motors to motors

Cheers.

Quadcopter AQ50 add-on test Onboard and External Camera (3 min 17 sec)
pietronet is offline Find More Posts by pietronet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,130 Posts
I received my add on sensors today and will test them during this comming weekend, if it stops raining....
SpeedMaster is offline Find More Posts by SpeedMaster
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:55 PM
Alicante, Espaņa
Joined Jun 2010
379 Posts
Well, if people from AQ50 dont hurry, they will lose the train. With the new naza gps, and the cheap and complete rabbit board with stabilization, sonar, height hold and gps, they have two options, or they hurry up, or people will beging to sell this multicopter controler to buy one of the other.
catamar is offline Find More Posts by catamar
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:48 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I just got one of these from FPV4Ever and I foolishly thought that it came with the USB adapter. I'm guessing that it's just some sort of FTDI converter, so can anyone tell me if this will work with a standard 5v FTDI converter, and if so, what is the pin-out for the 4 pin connector on the AQ50D?

Cheers,

LG
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:56 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
I just got one of these from FPV4Ever and I foolishly thought that it came with the USB adapter. I'm guessing that it's just some sort of FTDI converter, so can anyone tell me if this will work with a standard 5v FTDI converter, and if so, what is the pin-out for the 4 pin connector on the AQ50D?

Cheers,

LG
Have you tried looking in the manual

Name: carte-aq50d.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 119.5 KB
Description:

I guess it would work, don't see why not.

On the proper TMF adapter there is only RX, TX & GND connected, you have to power the board separately.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Last edited by nebstress; Jun 20, 2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:06 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,187 Posts
Phil, a regular FTDI converter wil work just fine, I'm using the one I've got years ago for a multiwii board that I don't have anymore. Like said previously, just power the board separately if your converter don't supply a 5v to the fc.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:12 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
Phil, a regular FTDI converter wil work just fine, I'm using the one I've got years ago for a multiwii board that I don't have anymore. Like said previously, just power the board separately if your converter don't supply a 5v to the fc.
Cheers Seb!

I just need it to do the firmware update because I got the add on sensor. Just this minute got back from flying without connecting it to the computer and just like the original AQ50, it flies great.

As good as all these multiwii thingies are, I just don't have the patience required for PID tuning, give me a couple of gain pots any day.

Really loving these boards and will probably end up equipping all of my copters with them. Just wish they could also do altitude hold, because that's one feature that I think I would use quite a bit.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:21 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
Cheers Seb!

I just need it to do the firmware update because I got the add on sensor. Just this minute got back from flying without connecting it to the computer and just like the original AQ50, it flies great.

As good as all these multiwii thingies are, I just don't have the patience required for PID tuning, give me a couple of gain pots any day.

Really loving these boards and will probably end up equipping all of my copters with them. Just wish they could also do altitude hold, because that's one feature that I think I would use quite a bit.
Altitude hold and GPS are in the works. It is a really great board for getting up and flying quickly with no tuning.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
Alicante, Espaņa
Joined Jun 2010
379 Posts
Well, I tried with the add-on sensor today. And I am disapointed, I haven't notice any improvement in the stability and worse than that, the quad is constantly rotating around it's axis. In one direction some times, and some other times in the opposite direction, not fast, but in one fly of 10 minutes it rotates 4-5 times. I have to be correcting all the time the position of the front part. And for some reason the correction is harder now, it looks like the stick do not responds to my orders, it responds late and slow.
Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have updated the firmware. I made the calibration before flying. (in fact I was not calibrating the quad in every flight, today I did it).I tried with stabilixation in 3 and in 5 (acording to the numbers on this page) with same results. I went to fly yesterday without problems. Today I installed the add-on sensor and had begun the problems.

Anybody can help me?
Last edited by catamar; Jun 20, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2008
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamar View Post
Well, I tried with the add-on sensor today. And I am disapointed, I haven't notice any improvement in the stability and worse than that, the quad is constantly rotating around it's axis. In one direction some times, and some other times in the opposite direction, not fast, but in one fly of 10 minutes it rotates 4-5 times. I have to be correcting all the time the position of the front part. And for some reason the correction is harder now, it looks like the stick do not responds to my orders, it responds late and slow.
Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have updated the firmware. I made the calibration before flying. (in fact I was not calibrating the quad in every flight, today I did it).I tried with stabilixation in 3 and in 5 (acording to the numbers on this page) with same results. I went to fly yesterday without problems. Today I installed the add-on sensor and had begun the problems.

Anybody can help me?
check the FC by proTool.what firmware do you use?
mahui625 is offline Find More Posts by mahui625
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:30 PM
Fitzy
Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2008
47 Posts
I have the same problem.

Old board was installed on a Quad Frame and was flying very satisfactorily.

Now with the add on sensor and updated firmware it continually yaws left or right while hovering and requires constant correction.

Recalibration does not improve the situation. Have a similar problem with the new board with the inbuilt sensor on a Hex frame that was flying well with the old board.

Hmmmmmmmm !!!!
FitzyKiter is offline Find More Posts by FitzyKiter
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2008
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzyKiter View Post
I have the same problem.

Old board was installed on a Quad Frame and was flying very satisfactorily.

Now with the add on sensor and updated firmware it continually yaws left or right while hovering and requires constant correction.

Recalibration does not improve the situation. Have a similar problem with the new board with the inbuilt sensor on a Hex frame that was flying well with the old board.

Hmmmmmmmm !!!!
decrease the gain in the board,pls try it.
mahui625 is offline Find More Posts by mahui625
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:53 AM
Fitzy
Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2008
47 Posts
Thanks ..... 9 at night here, so will give it a whirl in the morning on both Quad and Hexa.

Cheers - Fitzy
FitzyKiter is offline Find More Posts by FitzyKiter
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
Alicante, Espaņa
Joined Jun 2010
379 Posts
I tried yesterday with the gain at 5 and later with the gain at 3, same results.

What do I do?. Try with gain at 2 and 1?

I am using version 5.6.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamar View Post
I tried yesterday with the gain at 5 and later with the gain at 3, same results.

What do I do?. Try with gain at 2 and 1?

I am using version 5.6.
It may help in finding a solution if you also include the AGain setting and distance between motors.

I think it is good practice for everyone to post their multicopter details in every post when describing a problem.

I would suggest always including in each post-
1-Board Version
2-Firmware Version
3-AGain setting
4-Pot Gain setting
5-Distance between motors
6-Discription of problem

It makes it easier to follow the thread and diagnose the problem and we all benefit the faster issues are resolved....

Cheers
blast is offline Find More Posts by blast