HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GooberSB, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:22 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,177 Posts
Discussion
when an upgrade is not worth it

So I've had several brand new Champs. And I've bought several fuselages to experiment with brushless motors. The stock fuse isn't suited for a motor that mounts from the back or front so you have to be creative when fabricating your own mount and installing it into the fuse. Mounting the servos required cutting away a little foam but the motor mount problem should be on an IQ test.

Of all the experimenting I've done on the Champ, I always enjoy flyng the stock Champ the best. Yes, the P-51 motor with a 5043 prop gives it more authority. So does a 5g Hextronik motor. But the scale flight characteristics, the docile and floaty flight disappears as more internals get replaced. I've since learned that when it's too windy to fly my stock Champ, I should just fly something else.

Mini Super Cub. There are some upgrades that should not be upgrades. Like the transmitter that comes with the MSC. Like the removal of the ACT sensors. Like a 2.4ghz receiver.

I also have 2 of these MSCs. One with the stock motor and another with a 24g blue wonder. I have one MSC that I outfitted with a brushed ESC, a HK DSM2 compatible Rx, 9g servos, and a discovery buzzer. No ACT, no cheap transmitter that is spring loaded to return to center. No sir. But the motor is stock brushed 180. And I use a 350mah or 500mah 2S battery.

The other MSC is similar except that I put a TowerPro 2209 or so motor in it. It balanced well since it's a heavy motor so I thought flight would be just as good. I only got a few flights out of it. The motor was way too much for the structural integrity of this plane. Once the airflow over the elevator was so strong it almost pulled the servo loose from the inside of the fuelage. I say "almost" because it didn't do that. What it did was even worse. The servo was hot glued to the fuse very well so what happened was the servo was being pulled with force but not enough to break the bond between glue and foam. It was, however, strong enough to break the bond of the foam. The plane came down like a dart and crumpled on the ground. I found a nice hole in the side of the fuse the shape of a servo. Yes, the loose servo in the fuse also had some foam glued to it the shape of the hole.

I repaired it, put on a new shaft, and flew some more. Another time, another day. My son was doing a high speed dive and waited until he was close to the ground to pull out of the dive. The wings folded and the MSC hit the ground full speed. It was then that I removed the TowerPro and went with the 24g blue wonder with a 3S battery.

So now I have a nearly stock MSC and a nowhere-near-stock MSC. Know which one I fly the most? The MSC with the stock motor and 8x4 prop flies more like it's designed for and I enjoy flying it the most.

The MiniSlinger is one of my wings that I love the way it is. I have no desire to make it brusheless.

Now, on the GWS SlowStick I do like to switch motors occasionally. I have several 350 and 400 size brushed motors and switch between them depending on what size prop is available.

There has been one other plane that I thought, like the MSC, really needs to be overhauled. That is the Flyzone Playmate. It's a wonderful little plane. It's smaller and lighter than the Champ. Flies as well as the Champ. Know how to make it fly as well as a Champ? Put a Champ brick in it and use a Champ Tx or better. Stock motor worked fine for me but I've seen some where people installed a UM Sukoi motor. The point is, the Playmate is a great plane if you replace the brick, transmitter, and possibly motor. Well, doesn't that really only mean the Playmate is a great airframe? I never went for the Albatross because, guess what - it uses the same motor, brick, and transmitter. Argh! This is another case where the upgrade is required to get the most out of this plane.
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Last edited by GooberSB; Oct 23, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts