SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:17 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
Help!
Help me identify these planes!

Hello All!

I'm cleaning out my closet of mostly unused RC sailplanes, and I purchased these a while ago but am not sure exactly who makes them. Any information anyone has would be great, specifically I'm looking for who made them, where they came from, that sort of thing. I will be looking to sell these, so if anyone has suggestions on prices to ask that would be great too.

There are 3 planes here ..

1. A woody. Got it at a swap meet in San Diego about 3 years ago, I think. 3 piece wing, all wood, full size servo's.
2. The 'Rapid' which has aprox 103 inch wingspan, no flaps, full moving elevator, glass fuse.
3. A foam kit! This was a gift from a girlfriend a few years ago, it looks like a P-40 maybe, or something along those lines but I can't really tell.
tresani is offline Find More Posts by tresani
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:49 PM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
That Rapid looks pretty cool! Can't find any info on it though.

The foamy looks like a LEG P-40.

Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
Thanks! It was a gift from my grandmother when I was in high school, probably about 10 or 12 years ago. I never flew it, then when I moved up to LA the awesome F3F guys helped me fly it at fermin once, before I was into RC stuff that much. The one aileron is slightly twisted, and it has no tow hook or flaps, but it flew nice enough .. of course, at fermin a brick flys 'nice enough'.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:52 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,014 Posts
hi there from Toledo

The woody looks like an airtronics Olympic 650.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is online now Find More Posts by ray foley
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
Thanks Ray Foley! I think your right:
http://www.aerosphereonline.com/mm5/...ode=Sailplanes
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:41 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,109 Posts
If it IS an Olympic 650, and it does very much look like one, the canopy and tail have been modified. Also, the wing looks like it has a higher aspect ratio. What is the span? Root chord?

The fuselage looks almost like a H.O.B. type, just a little skinnier in the back, but that might just be a perception. The stab looks just like an Olympic stab. The rudder on the original Olympic 650 is counterbalanced.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:09 AM
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
If it IS an Olympic 650, and it does very much look like one, the canopy and tail have been modified. Also, the wing looks like it has a higher aspect ratio. What is the span? Root chord?

The fuselage looks almost like a H.O.B. type, just a little skinnier in the back, but that might just be a perception. The stab looks just like an Olympic stab. The rudder on the original Olympic 650 is counterbalanced.
If you look very closely, the rudder is counterbalanced. I thought the same thing when I first viewed it, actually I thought this was a Pussycat when I first looked at it, but no. There is something about the wing that just doesn't seem like it is an OLY 650, but can't tell.

Chip
sixty9mustang is online now Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:31 AM
Joined Apr 2005
401 Posts
Glider #1 is definitely an Olympic 650. It has been placed for sale in the Classified section. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1527286 with additional pictures which show the glider in better detail. Same number of ribs as with the Oly 650 and the three piece wing is a feature of the Oly 650. The front top of the fuselage including the 'canopy' is made of thicker balsa than what was supplied with the Oly 650 kits. Note the modified fuse former in front of the wing.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
Oly 650 modified to a bolt-down wing instead of rubber-banded
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Any idea's on the Rapid?

So I dug a bit more, and after discussing it with a friend I recalled that it was purchased at Dymond Hobby, so I believe its a Dymond Rapid, but I don't know anything more than that. Can't find anything on their website.
Last edited by tresani; Oct 24, 2011 at 04:13 PM.