HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:58 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Very nice. Sweet looking in the air. A winner for sure.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:47 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
693 Posts
Looks great! This little gem is at the top of my to get list. Just got to wait until my credit card stops smoking from Christmas.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
Looks great! This little gem is at the top of my to get list. Just got to wait until my credit card stops smoking from Christmas.

+1 !!!

Merry Christmas, ya'll!!!

Greg
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:45 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
Thanks for the help Anup appreciate it.
Merry Christmas

Triton flew very well in your hand Paul. Wish I had access to such a magnificant gym :~(. H&S people stop us from using any public gym unless I'm prepared to sign up my life for them

You're a quick builder too. What's your secret?

When is your Triton going to taste the water?? Ha ha.

Cheers
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:23 AM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
Yea thanks for all the great comments, yet to test her in the water which should be soon hopefully. I went on a real building micro marathon build a week back and my secret is .............take your time and relax a bit and start off and keep going till you're finished. Which was to me starting around 3pm and going through the night till the sun rose the next day. I was in the GROOVE and just feeling great and really calm so off I went building. It was fun. After each of my builds I would sleep for a few hours in the morning and go at it again......OH it helps that you're not working anymore on a job, he he he !!! I'm now build the E-Flite Jenny hope to have that finished by Wednesday for the indoor fly in. it's fun building planes.Yea also getting gyms is really hard this one I was lucky and we get to use it every Sunday or so for free. The Dean is a really nice person and doen't mine us using the gym. With even brand new floors in it. WOW!
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:18 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
Thanks Ken for the decal sheet. Will put it on this weekend. She's diffidently a beauty to fly. All the other pilots are alittle jealous. I park her next to the Micro Drake a good pair of flying boats
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
Here's the final stuff on it thanks to Ken for supplying the decals. The number is my AMA great idea for numbers.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:54 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Spencer View Post
GREAT IDEA! on the Teflon tape.
Ken,

Talk about Teflon...I cut the kit supplied Teflon tubing to the wrong lengths, so can you tell me where I can get replacement tubing? The OD appears to be 1.6mm.

Thanks,

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Ken,

Talk about Teflon...I cut the kit supplied Teflon tubing to the wrong lengths, so can you tell me where I can get replacement tubing? The OD appears to be 1.6mm.

Thanks,

Gene K
Speedy01,
If you need replacement talk to Pat at tailboom.com.
There is a link on this page for a downloadable .doc file with good instructions on using this stuff:
http://tailboom.com/teflon.php
If I were you I would grab a 1/4" of each end with a pair of pliers and then hold the tubing under hot running water from the faucet stretch it an extra inch ~ so you can cut off the crushed ends. You may need to re-size the tubing by creating a small ball of Ca on the end of a pushrod and pulling that through.
I pre-stretch a couple feet at a time 2x in a bathtub of hot water and then re-size to save that extra gram
Mitch
MitchK is offline Find More Posts by MitchK
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Oct 2006
21 Posts
Almost forgot,
Awesome plane Ken!!!!
I'll be building one this winter (if we ever get a winter).
Mitch
MitchK is offline Find More Posts by MitchK
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:02 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchK View Post
... hold the tubing under hot running water from the faucet stretch it an extra inch ....
Thanks, that was perfect, Mitch - did the trick!!

Thanks also for the link - I have some tubing on order.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:17 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
508 Posts
thanks for plan. i just crashed my j3 club, now i can build something more reliable indoor plane than the always break j3 club.
bigtruck169 is offline Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: antique gas station pics
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:59 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck169 View Post
thanks for plan. i just crashed my j3 club, now i can build something more reliable indoor plane than the always break j3 club.
Hi, bigtruck169
What kind of plan do you have, just curious ?
Keep Them Flying !, Ken
Ken Spencer is online now Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:14 PM
United States, GA, Centerville
Joined Mar 2012
170 Posts
When I decided to return to R/C a few months ago (I quit in 1979) I needed a cheap, easy trainer. I decided on the 22" Hobby Zone Champ after read numerous reviews. The reviewers didn't stear me wrong. The Champ got me flying quickly. Now I've got the itch and I've scratched with a 48" Super Cub. I like the big plane but being an old (literally and figuratively) stick & tissue indoor FF guy I've also got an itch to build small planes.

I'm going to order this kit as it looks like a good way to become familiar with new materials and methods (What, no sticks pinned to a plan?!?). As I await the arrival of this little jewel, I've got a couple of questions.

First is about Depron. In the manual, you say that you painted it with craft paint. Which made me wonder about the materials being painted. How does Depron take acrylics? Doesn't peel off? How 'bout the blue foam? Does the carrier for Sharpie ink attack either type of foam? Does coloring with Sharpies make a streaky finish? Do you use pre cut vinyl letters and numbers like you get at Walmart or Office Max?

Secondly, what is the rationale for the flat bottoms on the fuselage and wing floats? It seems to me that a shallow V bottoms forward of the step would provide much truer tracking on take-off. A thin layer of blue foam sanded to shape wouldn't add too much weight, would it? If so, a narrow keel from nose to step made from scrap 2mm foam would serve the same purpose.

Lastly, have you given any thought to adding landing gear? Perhaps a small length of tubing glued in behind the nose block that a nose LG could plug in to and a tube at the waterline at the step that ran from one side to the other could accomodate an axle for the mains for gym floor operations. I'm thinking that faom wheels and bits of music wire wouldn't add too much weight. However, since I haven't built this little guy yet, I really don't have a good idea of how much thrust can be generated by the motor/prop. The videos would seem to indicate that it ha penty though. What do you think?
RayRangel is offline Find More Posts by RayRangel
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
Nowmthat's a great idea to make landing whelels for it . Better yet I'm thinking of a dolly for it! Then you can take offmfrommthe gym floor fly around and belly land it. Mmmmmmm got my thinking cap on .