HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,238 Posts
Well got my little flying boat here and already started to build it. Great craftsmanship and easy to work on. I painted mine the light blue colour like the one in the diagram. Should have it finished really soon. Will,post some pictures soon.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,238 Posts
My Triton build

Well here goes nothingI'm starting the build of the Triton, so far everything is great I've painted it FIRST to the same light blue trims as the one in the picture. I like the idea of the flex control wire for the Rudder and Elvator. Also the decals sent are a nice touch. this is my second micro in three evenings of building the other was Jin's micro Sopwith Triplane kit super cool build. I'm going to try and finish about two more micros(the Boo Ray and the Gymette) and will have four micro to maiden at my next indoor flyin this Sunday. Talk about a marathon of fun building. get into it late in the night and early morning!!!!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:43 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
I'm starting the build of the Triton, so far everything is great I've painted it FIRST to the same light blue trims as the one in the picture. I like the idea of the flex control wire for the Rudder and Elvator. Also the decals sent are a nice touch.
Hi, NEWBEFLYER
Keep up the good work. I'm interested in seeing and hearing about all your new planes. Can't wait to see them all.
Keep Them Flying !, Your friend, Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,238 Posts
Here's the second plane I just finished it's called the Micro Gymetto cool little bird the Boo Ray, and Sopwith Triplane. That pretty much warps it up in my little micro marathon build.Should have more pictures and hopefully some videos of the maidening of them all. IF ALL GOES WELL of course
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,238 Posts
Still get the Triton finished I boob booed by putting the front bottom of the hull on and didn't put the wing on first so I can hook up the motor wires in the brick ...... no problem I'll cut a small square where I can get to the brick and plug the motor wrie in and then patch it up
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:32 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
Still get the Triton finished I boob booed by putting the front bottom of the hull on and didn't put the wing on first so I can hook up the motor wires in the brick ...... no problem I'll cut a small square where I can get to the brick and plug the motor wrie in and then patch it up
Hi, NEWBEFLYER
Everybody has made one of those, "boob boob".
May I suggest you not cut a square hole. Instead cut a round beveled hole. Then make a thicker tapered foam cork to fit and glue into the hole. Sand it off smooth after drying and just touchup your paint on the bottom.
I think you will find it easy to fix that way.
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:20 AM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,238 Posts
Well I didn't have to cut any holes at all I went to see my best friend Jin (the master builder and Mr. will fix it for you guy and all your boo boos) And he simply made the motor wires alittle longer and with the touch of a diamond craftier tweezers he plug her in and presto done!!!What a guy.
He double checked my Sopwith Triplane (his kit) and tweaked it alittle bit and then actually certified it flyable.
He then attacked my little Boo Ray and extended the motor wire so as to reach the brick.
The Gymetto he said well done no need to do anything here.
I can't handle the small wires and putting on the solder and heat shrink wrap, he is a master at super micro soldering,
So now it'd off to the gym today(it is Sunday) and maiden them all. I'll try to get videos on it if someone brings a camera ( note to me get someone to buy me a nice small video camera for Christmas)
After my little marathon micro building I think I did ok. Three and a half days from 5pm till sunrise WOW!! Once I get doing this I can't stop.
Anyways hope it all works out . WHIPPPEEEEEE NEW PLANES TO FLY
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,238 Posts
Well she flew really nicely on her maiden no trims were necessary. I had to hand launch it as when I did the bottom of the haul I used a sharpie black felt pen and I think it created alot of friction on the gym floor, so I now have to think of something to mare it slipperier so I can slide for take off on the gym floor. She flies at a nice scale like slow speed and there seems to be enough power from the BSD black motor to keep it at half or just a tad less on the Throttle. No speed demon here but good enough for me.
The gymetto flew exceptionally well no trims need here either.Fle like a Regallo wing should nice a comfortable and slow. When doing manouvers you need to use some speed to make sure air going over the control surfaces. Dead stick landing are a barrel of fun as she kinda like to float down.
The Sopwith Triplane was again excellent, she flew at 1/3 throttle and was really happy in the air doing nice loops and chasing down any planes that came near her.
The Boo Ray pylon racer was very stable and hooked the corners like on rails and is ready to put forth a challenge to any Pole Cat out there
I had someone there use their i phone to take some videos and hopefully I'll have them posted soon.
I would highly recommend all theses kits and they're easy to build and super fun in flying them.
oh and on a side note the Penquin flew today too.......yes Penquins DO FLY LOL look them up here on the micro indoor.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:04 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
This is way too cool, why isn't someplace like Horizon Hobbies paying you big dollars (or at least some dollars) to make things like this for them? It is a good logical next step from the BNF/RTF micro planes that they already sell. Nothing against Bob, I like to buy anything that I can from him, it just seems that Horizon would be interested in your skills too. I have to wonder how many of these little planes are owned by Horizon employees?

For gym floor use, you might want to apply some teflon adhesive backed tape, I got some 0.005 inch thick stuff from McMaster-Carr and I think they has thinner material too. It is made to apply to things that need to slip.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:33 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
For gym floor use, you might want to apply some teflon adhesive backed tape
And some Rain-X.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:06 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
For gym floor use, you might want to apply some teflon adhesive backed tape, I got some 0.005 inch thick stuff from McMaster-Carr and I think they has thinner material too. It is made to apply to things that need to slip.
Hi, Village_Idiot
GREAT IDEA! on the Teflon tape. Wish I had thought of that myself. We are going to change your handle name. You are much smarter then the average Village Idiot. How about we rename you, A. Einstein. This sounds more fitting.
I hope, I have not offended you and I apologize if I have, but the Teflon tape of yours is a Great Idea.
Keep Them Flying !, Your friend, Ken
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:46 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I bought the tape as a bearing material to use between the scissors on a single stick gimbal, works great for this. I had some on a hand held circular saw and it worked great until the chips of metal stopped the saw from sliding because they dug through the tape. I think McMaster had 0.001 and 0.005 (plus thicker) and I went with the 0.005 for my needs. Good stuff and not too expensive, should last a long time on a plane this light and probably won't come off in the water since it uses an acrylic adhesive.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,238 Posts
You can see my video on the Triton maiden flight on you tube. Just look for newbeflyer and it should be there for you to watch. There's also three other videos of my other micro planes I built.(now all I need to do is learn how to post them from you tube to here, any help here?)
I like the telfon tape idea and did find the site will order some of the thin tape thanks for the input.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:57 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,896 Posts
^ here is the link to Paul's "Triton"

Newbeflyer's Triton Flying Boat.mov (2 min 4 sec)

[I]Merry Christmas to all[/I]

Cheers
Anup

CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:41 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,238 Posts
Thanks for the help Anup appreciate it.